Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1834 large cent. Is this anything signifigant on the reverse or just standard machine doubling?

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
specifically the "C" in cent and the "F" in of.

Comments

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    looks like damage, not doubling
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Those two examples look recut to me.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    What you have is an N-3 variety of the 1834 large cent.

The C is repunched -- it is always with this variety. I'm not so sure about the F....

The F may show evidence of repunching, as just the reverse die of this variety has no less than five areas of repunching, but no examples of the N-3 I've seen nor my two texts on the topic mention any repunching on the F in OF, so it may also be damage.

Other reverse diagnostics of N-3: Interestingly enough, the N in UNITED was first punched upside down, the corrected. The C in AMERICA has been reshaped, both Ns in ONE CENT are repunched, and the T in CENT has a small bump on the bottom.

Obverse diagnostics: Large Date, Small Stars, "Embattled Rim" -- This is the first appearance of the "embattled rim"; the rim and smaller dentils become part of the design in 1836, but first show up on this coin. The 3 in the date is slightly lower than the rest of the numbers. The stars are small and appear more pointy. Like the reverse, the obverse has had touch-up work, mostly on Liberty's face including the eye pupil, upper lip, ear, and lower hair. In LIBERTY, IBE have all been recut, with the B most obvious.

This variety is an R-1, so it is not rare, but it is kind of neat because of all the different areas of repunching and other touch-up work that was done to it (which is not all that uncommon in the large cents of the 1830s).

Hope this helps...Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    repunched, not "doubled"

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file