Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In which series are the grading differences between PCGS and NGC...

the smallest or the largest?? Let's exclude moderns this time, as everyone know the answer of that. Is there always a difference?? For any given grade or only for a few?

Since I'm collecting US coins (3 years now), I've only bought, PCGS graded coins. I do have a few NGC graded coins, but those were gifts from people of the boards. I did own an ANACS graded coin, but it was a prize in a contest. Right now I'm reading QDB book "The expert's guide to collecting & investing in rare coins" and it made me thinking to also explore NGC coins. Unfortanly, as most of you will know I live in the Netherlands and it's nearly impossible to look at graded coins in reallive without buying them.

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The differences are, generally speaking, wide in colonials - though any individual coin may be strictly or leniently graded by either service.
  • Options
    I've felt that both were close with the lower grade classics. It is my opinion that with proof Jefferson nickels of the 1950s that NGC has a weaker standard of what passes as Cameo. Grade wise on the Jeffs NGC seems pretty close but maybe a hair looser. This opnion was formed over time and I'm not sure if I would still feel that way if I submitted loads of coins to both services this year, which I haven't.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    On Classic Commemorative, I would say NGC generally gives an extra 0.1 to 0.5 grading point on MS.

For circulated Bust series, NGC generally gives an extra 2.0 to 10.0 grading points over PCGS. It is quite a gamble buying NGC Busties sight-unseen. I submitted one CBH to PCGS where they incorrectly said it was VF20,;cracked it out and sent it to NGC. NGC gave me a very generous AU50. The correct grade is somewhere within that 30 point spread. PCGS seems not to much like late die states, but NGC sure does.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    It is wide in Buffalo nickels, almost a full point at MS66. For any collector, checking prices in various auction archives can give a good indication for commonly sold coins.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of the coins I've ever submitted have been [eventually] graded the same between the two services. The most dramatic difference that I've noticed is between higher end seated proofs - NGC simply has a different standard than PCGS.... probably more than one grade point.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Mint State 1938-64 Jefferson nickel business strikes, I think NGC is tougher on Full Steps designation but they overgrade by one point 95+% of the time. I have never been able to cross an MS67 NGC Jeff (in or out of the holder), and have given up trying.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought that NGC capped bust halves are sometimes almost a point apart at the 64-67 level. PCGS being much stricter.
    On average maybe a half point. Throughout the MS bust coinage spectrum, NGC seems to be almost 1/3 to 1/2 point more lenient as a rule. I don't see this large a spread in any other MS type that follows. Seated and Barber are closer imo.

I can't think of ANY series where I think they grade comparably.
    And I have no axe to grind considering 75% or more of my own coins are NGC.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Without a doubt, copper, be they colonials, half or large cents, IHCs or Lincolns. I have personally bought more copper in NGC slabs than PCGS ones but have had to be very choosy in the coins.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    in mint state buffalos pcgs is looking more for luster and ngc awards more for color . in ciculated buffs ngc is usually 1 whole grade more leniet than pcgs.
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    High grade Morgans,peace dollars and Merc dimes are for sure way off.
    NGC coins are at least 1 point higher in most cases,

Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Wide spread in Washington Quarters, very wide spread in Lincoln Cents.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    AU-58 gold.
  • Options
    PCGS is a lot tighter on Buffalo Nickels.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    Do you think there is much difference

Planchet
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrow spread in Morgans and Walking Liberty Halves. I can occasionally find NGC MS64 and 65 Morgains which upgrade a point at PCGS, even in the newer NGC holders. That is offset by NGC overgrading rainbow toned Morgans and Peace Dollars on occasion.

I actually think NGC grades a tad TOUGHER on Peace Dollars, at least from my experience.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a huge difference in the draped and capped bust area but certainly PCGS is deemed to be tighter, often by 5-10 circ points. Teletrade just sold a pair of 1795 halves last Sunday.
    The PCGS F12 looked far sharper than the NGC VF20. The F12 brought $2300 or so and the NGC coin did not sell. Only the plastic protected the NGC coin.

In Saints 62-65 PCGS is a just a tad stricter, but not by much.
    A PCGS MS64.8 might be an NGC 65.0. It often comes down to the day they were graded and by whom. I've seen some choppy PCGS Saints in some batches that weren't that nice. And other times a complete NGC submission of Saints were knocked down a point.
    There is only a small market price difference between the two
    (2-3%) so it demonstrates they aren't far apart.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Unfortanly, as most of you will know I live in the Netherlands and it's nearly impossible to look at graded coins in reallive without buying them.

Denny, the solution is simple.
    Yank your finger outta the dike, and hop onta a plane headed West.
    We take all comers here in the United States as immigrants. Even Hollanders.

Ray
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I use them both and have seen them both grade higher and lower on any given coin. No major difference in silver and gold IMO.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think NGC overgrades proof coins...they give out to many 66, 67, 68 designations.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    there's obviously gonna be ALOT of bias from most respondents here, because they prefer a particular brand of pla$tic.

however i have NO bias whatsoever, since i throw away pla$tic anyway. the best unbiased opinion i can give you is: in reality pcgs & ngc both grade pretty much the same.

i know, i know, i know, hardly anyone will agree w/ this, especially those who simply insist on paying more $$$ for a particular brand of pla$tic, but again, i'm telling you, over a large population of coins, there's basically no difference in how the two co's grade that i can see.

K S
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two 05 ASE's graded by NGC as MS70. These coins are but ugly, riddeled with speck marks on the obverse and reverse. My PCGS ASE's graded 68 and 69, blow those 70's away. I'm very dissapointed with NGC, guess they don't care. Sent them back to NGC for a review, received two Eagles just as ugly. PCGS is a superior grading service, compared to NGC.
    morgans
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    naturally, there are no coins in ngc 68 holders that blow away pcgs coins graded higher.

sheeesshh

K S
  • Options
    If you collect the ever popular Morgans--the biggest difference the two is between Grades AU-50 and MS62. It's noy uncommon to see AU MOrgans grade 2 points (ie 50 to 58) in NGC, but lower AU or even EF45. (Or true EF PCGS Morgans holders-- technically the same as AU-50-- in an NGC coin holder.

Interestlly, Both both give "slacK" to an MS62 with great eye-apeal, but techically a rubbed or lightly hailined "tech" AU58s! Then, above MS64, it's much eaier t get a 1 point higer grade--but the coin really does have to gem" nicelook--and lately NGC is cracking down on these INHO--
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interestlly, Both both give "slacK" to an MS62 with great eye-apeal, but techically a rubbed or lightly hailined "tech" AU58s! >>

Unless it's a condition rarity like an '84-S, a '92-S or an '01-P among others. Then, it's pretty much always 58.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file