Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rosen Numismatic Advisory

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did you see their ad in the Nov 6 issue of CW, page 86? They are predicting a major influx of institutional money coming into coins, and specifically into proof gold. I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Your comments, please.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Did the article mention what led them to that conclusion?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the article mention what led them to that conclusion?

No. And it's not an article, it's an ad for their newsletter.
    Andy Lustig

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you see their ad in the Nov 6 issue of CW, page 86? They are predicting a major influx of institutional money coming into coins, and specifically into proof gold. I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Your comments, please. >>

I couldn't sit still for it the last time and walked out long before the great exodus.

If it happens it will hurt collecting and if people believe it will happen it will hurt the
    hobby. It it didn't happen last time it's less likely to happen this time but hardly im-
    possible. Outsiders might be enticed to believe that coins are fungible but collectors
    know that this isn't really true even for moderns nor mint packaged ultramoderns.

Be very wary if it looks like it might happen. You'll need to protect your purchases
    at every level.
    Tempus fugit.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've subscribed to the RNA on and off for a number of years. Maurice has recommended proof gold fairly often in his newsletter.
    Actually, since he raised his flag to go bullish on the coin market a couple of years back, proof gold and carefully selected type (silver and gold) coins have been consistently on his recommended list. If anything, the institutional money that has been predicted to enter the market has been rather slow to take to "type" coins. One has to wonder if they'll enter before the eventual recession shows up.

I've read any number of coin newsletters in the past 25 years and the RNA has been the best of the bunch imo. I have to tip my hat to Maurice as it was he who opened my eyes to the impending gold run back in the fall of 2001. At that time he was interviewing gold and currency guru Jim Sinclair who was forecasting an imminent return to a gold bull. Jim's discussion on the then $100 TRILLION derivatives market (it's over $300 TRILL today) was quite eye opening. I was on board by December 2001 thanks to Maurice and Jim.

The inflationary liquidity train is still headed at the rare coin market.
    But one must caution that with the potential for recession. This time around the US is not carrying the weight of the world as it did in 1980 and 1990 when coins twice crashed hard. The liquidity being pumped into the world market by foreign nations (esp China, India, Russia) could be more than enough to keep gold moving along, and with it, the rare coin market. Proof gold is one of the best places to park some liquidity. While this type of market speculation puts the collectors out to pasture for a while, there's not much that can be done about it. I don't see anything different occuring this time around. Frankly, I've been discussing this with another forum member and it seemed like the opportunity to buy nice 19th century classic coins right ended around 2002-2004.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a dumb question;

proof gold coins as in modern proof gold coins or classic proof gold coins from the 19th and early 20th centuries?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem classic proofs, and especially the larger coins.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if such speculation will spill over into Die trial strike patterns?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you see their ad in the Nov 6 issue of CW, page 86? They are predicting a major influx of institutional money coming into coins, and specifically into proof gold. I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Your comments, please. >>

What does this have to do with the upcoming FUN auction?

(Or am I way to cynical?)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    So what's the tickers on these funds? Some of us like reruns of old movies.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does this have to do with the upcoming FUN auction?

(Or am I way to cynical?)

Good question, and you're certainly not "too cynical". However, I don't believe that there is a connection.
    Andy Lustig

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<So what's the tickers on these funds? Some of us like reruns of old movies.>>>

I agree. We can't buy into them if we don't know what they are.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Re Rosen Numismatic Advisory newsletter,

This is a great newsletter and you should check it out.

One of the key components to my success in the rare coin business was the monthly newsletter...David Hall's Inside View...that i wrote between 1979 and approximately 1998. It brought customers, influence, and profits. I started my newsletter at the suggestion of my father-in-law who said "I take dozebs of stock market newsletters and there are hundreds of them. But there's not many coin advisory newsletters. I only know about Rosen's Numismatic Advisory. David, you should should write a newsletter like Rosen's." And indeed, the Rosen Numismatic Advisory newsletter was my inspirattion.

Again, sheck it out if you get a chance.

David

PS...I've known Maurice since 1872 and he's a very smart guy.

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I like proof gold!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Sheck it out? David, yu spel just lyke eye doo.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>PS...I've known Maurice since 1872 and he's a very smart guy. >>

You've held up amazingly well, Mr. Hall...keep on keepin' onimage
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Actually, HRH sleeps in a used wine barrel. It's what

keeps him looking young. Must be the residual tannins.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • No wonder I enjoy enjoy this forum so much. I go from learning about coins to image

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS...I've known Maurice since 1872 and he's a very smart guy. >>

Not only is he smart but,, very , very old. Congrats on 135 big ones ! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • 135 years old .....and still grading!!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

• << <i>Sheck it out? David, yu spel just lyke eye doo.image >>

UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file