Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your "coolest coin"?

I'm not talking about rarity here... I'm talking about a coin being downright cool and very interesting. I picked up this piece off ebay for $80. I don't know why the pics made the coin look cleaned, but I assure it the coin is 100% original

Comments

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

>> I'm talking about a coin being downright cool and very interesting.

-----
    This is the most interesting to me, simply because I have owned
    it the longest of any coin I have. It was given to my by my grand-
    mother many years ago, when I was just a teen. And now when
    I look at it, it very much brings her back to me.

I guess I've owned this for 40 years, and she owned it for many
    years prior to that.

So yeah, I guess this is my coolest coin.

...and yes, I'm really THAT old!! image
    -----

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Very cool coins everone, lets see some more!
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has to be this one. It is just so much more interesting to look at than most others of the same thing.
    mirabela
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Hey Barndog, love the break on the reverse of your CBHD.
    This one certainly is not rare, but I never get tired of looking at it. The dealer I bought it from claims it came from a roll, and he has a few others that are similar, just not quite as nice looking as this one is.
    imageimage
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    A couple come to mind. First would be my PCGS G6 1798/7 Large cent. The second, my PCGS graded P01 1890 Morgan. Both bought from board members.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is by far my favorite "problem coin" in my collection, it's "cool" because it's air-conditioned

I also like the 1700's date, the design details, and wondering who wore it in the early 1800s, preventing it from wearing out in circulation

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    For me its this "darksider" I bought as a boy by saving up $160 mowing yards in the hot Phoenix Summer. When gold skyrocketed many years later I was a young married guy and decided I needed the money more than the coin. I decided to sell it. My Dad decided he just had to own it. Now 25 years or so later its back in my possession. Dads are sure smart, thank goodness. I owe him big time.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    NGC ms67*
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on my mood:
    Either this:

Or this:

peacockcoins

• Options
    That Eagle looks like it spent some time in the core of a nuclear reactor image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depending on my mood:
    Either this:

>>

I'm still looking for one of those in a roll. Wish me luck
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    This gift from my Mom many years ago:

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I love the color and strike on this lincoln and I paid a whole $20 for it.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    1999-W $5 Gold Unfinished Die - PCGS MS70 (pop 1)

In 1999, the Mint at West Point, New York accidentally produced what may become one of the most important rarities of the 20th Century by striking a limited quantity of Uncirculated 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins with the "W" mintmark below the date. Normally, the mintmark appears only on Proof versions. However, in this case, the dies never received the special polishing that gives Proof coins their deep, mirror-like qualities. No one knows exactly how many were struck, but experts estimate that only 500-1000 examples have been found since the mistake was first discovered in 2000.

How did the Unfinished Die 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coin come about? The answer comes from examining how the Proof versions are created. Proof coins are struck on special, high-quality presses using specially prepared blanks (planchets) and specially prepared dies. The emphasis is on quality over quantity and the goal is a coin with bright, mirror-like fields surrounding frosty design elements, thus creating what is known as a "cameo" effect. Special care is taken throughout the process to ensure that the final product (the coin) is as perfect as possible. This special care automatically limits production -- in 1999, the Mint at West Point produced only 19,919 Proof 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins.

On the other hand, the production of Uncirculated examples focuses more on quantity than quality (although the final coin is still impressive enough). The number of coins produced is limited only by the availability of gold bullion, by estimated demand for the coins, and by other production priorities -- in 1999, the Mint at West Point produced 2,750,338 Uncirculated 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins.

Using the numbers just listed, we see that more than 138 Uncirculated coins were produced for every Proof example, highlighting the relationship between quality and quantity.

Great care is taken to segregate the Proof production area and all of the materials used in it. The fact that a die originally marked for use in the production of Proof coins somehow made it into a press used to strike Uncirculated coins is simply amazing. Proof dies are carefully accounted for...how did this one escape? Press operators carefully scrutinize the dies before they are placed in the presses...how did the operator miss the mintmark on this one? Random coins from production runs are examined for quality control...how did they miss the mintmark? The very existence of the Unfinished Die 1/4 ounce American Eagle gold coins seems to have required several lapses in quality control.

How rare will Unfinished Die 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins turn out to be? A lot depends on how quickly the error was discovered at the Mint and how many actually escaped. Did the press operator notice the mintmark and stop the run? If the error was discovered, was an attempt made to recover and destroy the coins that had already been minted? Even if we knew the answers to these questions, we may never know the exact number of Unfinished Die coins that were struck. But, we do know that after a year of intense searching for these rarities, surprisingly few have shown up.

What are they worth? Recent sales have occurred in the $500-1,000 range. If the rarity holds, these coins have every chance of being as valuable as the much more common 1995-W Proof $1 Silver Eagle (currently priced at $3,200 in Proof-69).

PCGS has graded less than 500 of these "Unfinished Die" coins, with the majority of them appearing in the MS-69 grade.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the "Crying Lincoln"
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the color on this one. I keep it in the freezer to keep it Cool!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Not a coin, but close enough . . . .

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is my twins - reds and yellows. Lots of luster - very difficult to get right using artificial light. These pics are pretty close.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    1983 Quarter, PCGS PO01.....hard to imagine how this coin got so worn in less than 25 years!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options

<< <i>1983 Quarter, PCGS PO01.....hard to imagine how this coin got so worn in less than 25 years!

image >>

now that is cool!
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

This is a 1924 Peace dollar that was carried by my wifes uncle Earl from after WWII,until just before his passing
    last year.I've posted this before,but I think its the coolest.image

computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    This is my favorite. image

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I really don't have much to choose from so I guess it would be this one....

---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I think my coolest coin is an 1856 $2.50 Gold, PCGS AU58 "Bass" Coin that I won off eBay from the old seller "flowinghair". Remember them image, I think they've moved on to another auction site ? image

Anyway, when I consider that this very coin was once owned by Harry W. Bass himself, I feel like I'm in the company of greatness. Real Cool! image
  • Options
    It would have to be my VF 1804 C-10 Half Cent. It's fascinating to me to think that this coin was floating around Philadelphia during the battle for the presidency between Thomas Jefferson and John Adams. Now that was a real mudslinger!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Hard to decide on the US Coins. I like so many of them.

So here's my coolest from the greyside. I love the Haida artwork on this.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

Nowhere near most valuable or historic, but I really dig this coin.

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

My father received a bunch of coins that his uncle collected over the years. Included was a zip lock bag of Indians that had been cleaned a long time ago and were covered with some kind of crud, probable residue from the cleaning. It seemed soft so I soaked the whole lot in a bowl hot water. The very first one I pulled from the bowl was this 1877. I was speachless. I soaked it in olive oil for a long time and this was the ultimate result. Cleaned, but still the king of the Indian cents. It now resides in the Dansco 7070.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    this is my favoriteimage
  • Options
    My latest coolest, until my newest coolest come along.................image

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my coolest, only about 20 are known of this very rare die variety:
    imageimage
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    I collect errors and exonumia (and half cents), so this is a hard decision, but this bowtie indent was the first to come to mind.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    I guess I would have to say the Gettysburg in my sig line.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately, I've been looking at this one alot...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Not my favorite. Not my most valuable. Just my coolest.

imageimage
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I have three or four that are high up on my personal coolness scale (not to be confused with the Fatman coolness scale). This is the one that currently is on top of the list:

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Not a super valuable coin, but I've often thought the pure blueness of it makes it my coolest coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file