Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So now you know my eBay handle, what do you think of this crazyness?

Here's some auctions where a guy practically dupllcates my handle, tracks my auctions, then outbids me. Pretty clever huh?
example #1
example #2
example #3
example #4
I am not sure if he even wants this stuff. He definately has caused some confusion among the sellers. Maybe that is his goal. From what I understand, he hasn't paid for any of these items yet. What do you think he is up to?

Comments

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you got a stalker.

Yet another reason why sniping is superior. You don't telegraph your bids.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Maybe trying to scare away other bidders to get the stuff on the cheap.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    this is bizaar behaviorimage
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Have you pissed smoeone of lately? Maybe smoeone is trying to get even for a neg feedback or smoething!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    I only left one neg. in my life, in '04, I think
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that obvious enough that if notified Ebay would put an end to it?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like you got a stalker.

Yet another reason why sniping is superior. You don't telegraph your bids. >>

Yup. You need to start using sniping software -- you will end up saving a good chunk of $$$ based on the type of stuff you are bidding on.
  • Options
    What's the best snipe-ware out there?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Or just start laying your bid in during the last 20 mins or so.

Very Weird behavior!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    You know you are getting up in the world when you have your very own Ebay groupie. image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I have a family and find it difficult to be at the computer at just the right time.
  • Options
    If I were you, I would use Phantombidder -- you get unlimited snipes for $9 per month.

I used to use Auctionsniper, and many on this board use it, but they charge a fee of 1% of each successful snipe, with a max of $5. If you snipe two $500 plus items in one month, you would already be over the monthly cost of Phantombidder.
  • Options
    Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde? image
  • Options
    Thank you WJ.
  • Options
    Monthly fees, or a percentage??? wow.
  • Options
    Solid: I wish it was me vs. me, but this guy's in Rhode Island.
    My wife says that I should go out there and find the guy. There's what, only about 15 eBayers in the whole state, right?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you aren't the one with 1 feedback, right? image
    Looks like he just switched it the other day.....do you know what you were bidding on that his original ID may have been doing as well? May help pinpoint something to ebay that they may take action on....

The 1 feedback person:

User ID Effective Date End Date
    c0nnie0tt Oct-29-06 Present
    oh-no-another-outer-space-grading-company Jul-21-06 Oct-29-06

Looks like he's winning as well....so, unless those are good prices and he really wants them, you may be costing him some money and/or negs if he doesn't pay. Won't take much for a 1 feedback person....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    His original handle was "OhNoNotAnotherFlyByNightGradingService", or something like that.
  • Options
    oh, you got it Bo.
    ps. eBay won't do anything until he does something against the rules, like non-payment.
    pps. I figure he's not going to pay, and I'll be offered the coins at my bid, as I do have a some sort of relationship with the sellers, and they have seen what's happening. I am waiting to find out if he pays. I don't think he cares about the negs. Also, I pay pretty good money. At the next higher bid, I'm usually not interested.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would let ebay know about it. Maybe you can talk to someone online. That is really bizzare and IMHO totally unacceptable.
  • Options
    I have talked with them, and since it hasn't cost them any money, yet, they won't do anything about it. He has to be a non-payer, or something. Even though I am not a seller, they did have me fill out some paperwork on seller harrassment, but I have to wait until some sellers don't get paid for them to do anything. I like the idea of sniper software. I have always toyed with that idea, but I figure getting outbid keeps the bills down a bit. image ...so many coins, so little money.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Looks like somebody is trying to sabotage you. oh-no-another-outer-space-grading-company…that’s one of those throwaway ID’s board members use when they harass ACG etc sellers.
    What’s the sellers gonna think when both of you bid on the same coin and you get reported for shilling or it makes the seller cancel the auction or the other guy runs up a bunch of no pays & negs and they think it’s you and you get bammed?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    If he bids on a lot, and he usually, at least so far, doesn't snipe, I write the sellers right away explaining the situation so they aren't confused. Most of them have done business with me before, and you can see from my feedback that I get along with them pretty well.
  • Options

<< <i>that’s one of those throwaway ID’s board members use when they harass ACG etc sellers. >>

...a board member???
    Does anyone have the map that MastaHanky posted years ago? image"Map including Troll Island"
  • Options
    << a board member??? >>

Datz what I be thinking!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    sounds like a bidder to block to me, whether he pays or not.
  • Options
    I don't see what the other person is accomplishing--he or she would have won the auctions regardless of bidder name. If the other person starts selling, that's another story.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I'd change your paypal password and/or change other financial stuff.

This looks to be some sort of setup for identity theft. The seller may ship to him thinking it is you or else he may pay with a stolen credit card - etc. Seriously, it would not be a bad idea to cancel all your active credit cards and get new ones. The issuers wouldn't charge a cent for this and it would give you peace of mind.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It's probably some obsessive compusive registry forum guy like the red hot chili pepper dude or Mr. Platinum who is jealous of your set, or maybe wondrcoin trying to adjust the market levelimage----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I guess I'd contact the stalker via Ebay and ask him WTF.
  • Options
    When I was in school, I was always the smartest kid in class and always got straight A's.
    There was a not so bright classmate that got into the habit of copying my work. One day I'd had enough, and put down all wrong answers on my paper. He copied it. I then changed all my answers. He got a perfect zero. I got another A. He was a confused little boy.
    Maybe you should contact one of these buyers you've dealt with and have them list something a little obscure, but not worth a whole lot. Then you put in a real high bid and let this clown take it away from you. If he doesn't bid high on it by any chance, have a deal ahead of time with the seller not to hold you to your bid.

Ray
  • Options
    I use auction sniper and have for about 2 years and i have won a large percent of my auctions I have bidded on with it, the percentage is very small and I usually use 10.00 worth of snipes per year (even though most of my purchases are under most way under but some a little over $1000.00) so 9.00 a month is very excessive if you ask me unless you are buying $20-$30k items 3-4 times a month
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I was in school, I was always the smartest kid in class and always got straight A's.
    There was a not so bright classmate that got into the habit of copying my work. One day I'd had enough, and put down all wrong answers on my paper. He copied it. I then changed all my answers. He got a perfect zero. I got another A. He was a confused little boy.
    Maybe you should contact one of these buyers you've dealt with and have them list something a little obscure, but not worth a whole lot. Then you put in a real high bid and let this clown take it away from you. If he doesn't bid high on it by any chance, have a deal ahead of time with the seller not to hold you to your bid.

Ray >>

That sounds like a great plan, except you don't yet know whether he's actually paying for the lots, and we don't really know if this clown actually understands what he's bidding on. This is a really weird situation though, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    wierd
  • Options
    I thank you all for your posts. I have started to use Jbidwatcher (under a new handle). I very much appreciate your understanding, commiseration and great suggestions and advice. image
  • Options
    I just received a friendly note from a guy that often is bidding on the same stuff I do. He says that his name also has been (close to) duplicated, and has had similar things happen to him. He also noticed some (close to) duplicate handles for a few other eBayers. This must be a new scam of some sort. I hadn't seriously considered it was the work of a forum member, and think, at this point, it is not. If anyone else notices this type of bidding activity on eBay, I'd be interested in hearing about it. (ie., is the new handled registered to someone in Rhode Is?, What type of coins is this person interested in?, etc.) Thank you.
  • Options

<< <i>I use auction sniper and have for about 2 years and i have won a large percent of my auctions I have bidded on with it, the percentage is very small and I usually use 10.00 worth of snipes per year (even though most of my purchases are under most way under but some a little over $1000.00) so 9.00 a month is very excessive if you ask me unless you are buying $20-$30k items 3-4 times a month >>

Not true. If you buy only 2 $500 items in one month, the Auctionsniper fee is $10, so you are already behind Auctionsniper with just 2 items.

If, for example, you buy 10 $500 items in one month ($5,000 total), the Auctionsniper fee is $50, Phantombidder is still only $9.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's some auctions where a guy practically dupllcates my handle, tracks my auctions, then outbids me. Pretty clever huh?
    example #1
    example #2
    example #3
    example #4
    I am not sure if he even wants this stuff. He definately has caused some confusion among the sellers. Maybe that is his goal. From what I understand, he hasn't paid for any of these items yet. What do you think he is up to? >>

This creature seems to think he has have been slighted by you... Great idea use the the sniper ...........maybe you will get rid of this fool
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    This is just plain wierd. Any mischievous teenagers in your life?

I've used Jbidwatcher for years on thousands of auctions. It works great and is free but it breaks every once in a while. Ebay doesn't cooperate witht he guy who writes and maintains the program so they will change their program w/o notice and it won't work. Usually it is in the bidding protocol. So if I have a big auction coming up I find a $.99 start auction for someting expensive like a gold eagle and place a low bid via jbidwatcher to confirm it's working. Hasn't broke for several months now so maybe ebay is happy and not changing anything.

As for contacting the guy thru ebay, the last 3 times I've tried to contact an ebay member ebay blocked the communication saying someting like "You don't have any business ongoing with this guy so we're not letting you talk to him. If you want so sell him something, list it. If you want to buy something, bid on it. If you have two of an item, use second chance offer." They're getting very protective of their percentage. Now sometimes they'll let it thru. Last night I got an usolicited offer to sell me something I had bid on from a guy who had one like it. I repsonded "No Thanks" but my response was blocked, even though his message came through.

--Jerry
  • Options
    Just to update. This imposter, registered in Rhode Is., is using a (close to duplicate) bidder's handle of A NUMBER of bidders (6-8 so far), usually ones with a high amount of positive feedbacks. Bidders who have had their handles (near) duplicated are working to get to the bottom of this. I/we would appreciate any help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file