Home Metal Detecting

1854 Seated quarter **edit- added pics**

Went out over a week ago and found this one... came out of a pile of dirt that some city workers had dumped in an old area of town. (spoke with the foreman and he gave me permission... very cool guy)

I'll need to take a few more pics later... been too busy with other stuff lately.

HH!

Rick image

Here's a picture fresh from the dirt. The pile was loaded with old, rusty square nails (I love to see dirt that's filled those things in it!):

close-up:

before cleaning:

still taking a bath but this is what it looked like this afternoon:

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Looks like a fairly decent coin if it weren't in the ground for who knows how long.

Great find.
  • Thanks.
    It's been soaking for over a week and some of the crud is starting to come off...
  • Excellent job Rick!
    A seated find is always a big jolt!
    It would be cool to know where the dirt came from.
    I have found some points in a few hauled in dirt piles...always wondered where the dirt originated.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Very sweet find!
  • Great find!
  • Nice job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • cool finds.
  • Thanks guys! I added more pics to the original post... image

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    Great find, looks to have been in pretty decent shape when lost, must have been in the ground for quite along time. What are you soaking it in? I've heard of olive oil for copper coins.
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find, take a pencil eraser to that baby it will shine up nicely image

Just kidding, I wanted to ask what you are bothing it in to get the crud off.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Man nice seated find Ric!!

Got to get out and find me one of those but it's just been way to slow over here.May just have to make a trip to MT ValleyimageHH,Tom
  • Thanks guys.

I first let it soak in water for a few days and then most of the easy stuff starts to come off without any scratches. Notice the close-up picture... that dirt + rocks could really do some damage. The tougher stuff that adheres to the coin can come off with baths in oil based products, hydrogen peroxide, and/or Ezest coin cleaning solution (but you need to be careful with that stuff... rinse it off quickly). Of course they say you're never supposed to clean a coin, but I've had a few finds that looked so bad that I figured cleaning could only make things better.

LT-
    You know better than that! ... MT valley is EM-TEE! image

• phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice find Rickimage
  • Excellent find!....Very very nice!
  • Amazing find! Seated coin was one of my goals this year but I fail. I found almost everything else except the Seated.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Rick... you suck! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.