Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the best way to move a coin collection across the country?

Let's say you need to move 100K in coins across the country. What's the best way to do that? I'm thinking multiple USPS Registered Mail packages? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In person and armed.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    A briefcase, a weapon and a backup weapon.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much bulk?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    How much bulk?

Not too much, about 40 to 50 coins. However, I do have about 30 pounds of silver that I have to move as well...
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the several packages through registered mail idea...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>A briefcase, a weapon and a backup weapon. >>

I agree. Are you not planning to travel with the coins?
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 40-50 coins are going Registered, period. The bulk silver can be shipped as well, but it sounds like you might be better off selling it before you move.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered Mail.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Mail the lot at the Wilmington Delaware post office.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mail the lot at the Wilmington Delaware post office. >>

It's safe now, the postal carrier is in jail!

I would agree with the multiple registered mail packages. You can box up the silver and send it registered too, but I'd check the cost first on the Postal Service's website.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I vote for registered mail.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Registered mail
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MotorHome with a nice looking gal.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    The trouble with carrying loaded weapons across the country is the different gun laws in various states.
  • Options

<< <i>The trouble with carrying loaded weapons across the country is the different gun laws in various states. >>

Oh claw, quit being such a fraidy-cat. You don't have a problem unless you have to use them. Of couse, then you had a problem anyway. Bernard Goetz didn't have a problem until he met up with some thugs in a subway.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Send the coins registered, adding perhaps a little of the silver to each package. Carry most of the silver with you unless you want to sell it and accept a gain (assuming it has gone up from your purchase).
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would apply the 80/20 rule (i.e. I would guess that 80% of the value is in 20% of the coins). Those should be hand-carried, while the others are mailed (and dump the bulk silver first).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they were moving the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian they did a feasibility study and determined that regesered mail was the safest and most secure way to go.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    What if it were a larger collection, without any "bulk" coins? How would you move it then?
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Heritage moves large collections or auction lots of valuable coins by Brinks. At what value does this become an ecconomically attractive means of transport?
    Trime
  • Options
    Registered mail, period, end of discussion.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered mail, period, end of discussion. >>

I find it humerous when someone wants to end the discussion after they have stated their opinion as authoritative.

--Jerry
  • Options
    I went through the process years ago. Had several SD boxes of coins and moved 'em one at a time by handcarry on airplanes. Security was more lax then, but it still was a hasstle and I was nervous all the way!
  • Options

<< <i>I find it humerous when someone wants to end the discussion after they have stated their opinion as authoritative.

--Jerry >>

Actually, Jerry, I was using 'end of discussion' as an expression and not a literal statement that the discussion had ended. And yes, I do think registered mail is the safest method of moving coins and my insurance company would agree.

But since the discussion is continuing, you should feel free to recommend to the OP that hand carrying a box of coins around the country with a weapon is a real good idea.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I sent a coin by Brinks, they lost it for two weeks.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Guaranteed Delivery

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Let's say you need to move 100K in coins across the country. What's the best way to do that? I'm thinking multiple USPS Registered Mail packages? Any other suggestions?

Answer:

David
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same way we used to move diamonds - couple of crumpled paper sacks casually thrown in the back seat - and no stops at the car wash image
  • Options
    Greetings,

I feel really dumb now, I've moved around 1500 gold coins and maybe 7-8 pounds of silver coins from Maryland to Fl and back twice in the trunk of my car. I felt safe,but what would have I felt like had it been stolen(car)
    Bruce
  • Options
    I've got an old pickup truck with a cap on it....!!!....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would agree with the multiple registered mail packages. You can box up the silver and send it registered too, but I'd check the cost first on the Postal Service's website. >>

You can also use Brinks for the collection. Depending on the value of the bulk silver you can send it Priority flat rate for $8.10 plus whatever insurance you care to add. Normally if you send priority on friday or saturday it gets there on monday.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with CCU, period, end of discussion.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>The trouble with carrying loaded weapons across the country is the different gun laws in various states. >>

The smart thing is not to give them a reason to stop you. You would be amazed at how many drug, cash and illegal alien busts are made here in Iowa on Interstate 80 because the driver was speeding or there was some other problem like a headlight out.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel really dumb now, I've moved around 1500 gold coins and maybe 7-8 pounds of silver coins from Maryland to Fl and back twice in the trunk of my car. I felt safe,but what would have I felt like had it been stolen(car) >>

The kicker here is that IF YOU get stopped the authorities will seize your coins and YOU will probly have to prove ownership to get them back; so you will not only have to worry about them being stolen by crooks but by the law too!!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of the problems with all of the other methods, it seems to me that registered mail is the best option. For a total of $100K, divided into 4 packages of appx. $25K each, the cost is about $40 per package or a total of $160. And whoever has it at the Postal Service has to sign for it every step of the journey, so if someone steals it they're on the hook for it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sell the silver. Send four registered packages, each insured for $25,000. Traveling with those coins in a vehicle, and going all the way across this country is WAY too risky.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I feel really dumb now, I've moved around 1500 gold coins and maybe 7-8 pounds of silver coins from Maryland to Fl and back twice in the trunk of my car. I felt safe,but what would have I felt like had it been stolen(car) >>

The kicker here is that IF YOU get stopped the authorities will seize your coins and YOU will probably have to prove ownership to get them back; so you will not only have to worry about them being stolen by crooks but by the law too!! >>

I never thought about the law stealing them from me. I'd be hard pressed to prove complete ownership. I never knew that my father collected them.He was merchant marine and I'm guessing he collected these thruout the years.After he died,i found them and continued to collect them myself. They are mainly 1/5 ounce and smaller down to maybe,1/10 ounce of all types. I think if I have to move them again it will be registered mail.
    Bruce
  • Options
    You don't think that if you got stopped and searched that 1500 gold coins wouldn't get their attention? image
  • Options
    A couple of years ago I moved my collection across the country. I made two trips one to drive my car and one to drive a large truck. In my car I brought the family silver and my most expensive coins. When we stayed in a motel, we moved everthing into the room. Never had an issue.
    With the truck I just packed the rest of the collection in boxes and packed them in the truck. If you are discreet about the contents of the truck the movers are none the wiser. And the truck was locked the whole trip. No issues and everything made it safely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file