Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1831- The sixth in a series of Capped Bust Half Dollars- Show your busts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Here is my 1831 bustie, comments please:

Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    jobiwan115,

Looks like O-110 R2.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Here's a die marriage that has not been shown before: the 1831 O-117, R4.

The obverse of this very scarce die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 8. This was the first use of this die. The die was used immediately after to strike the O-112.

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse Die L-s2. This was the second and last use of this die. The die was used just prior to strike the O-116 (as Rev. Die L). Reverse Die L-s2 is the same as Reverse Die L except the legend and milling is weaker. Often just a trace of milling remains.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) On the obverse the 1's are tall and slender with full serifs. The 8 is higher than the 2.

(2) There are die lines in RTY of LIBERTY slanting downwards from the top center of the R to the bottom of the Y.

(3) There is a doubling of the lower right curl edge next to star 13. This is true of ALL O-117's and O-112's.

(4) On the reverse the M of AMERICA is rotated with the left serif above the right serif of the A and the right serif below the left serif of the E.

(5) Also on the reverse TATE of STATES is rotated clockwise and appear to be progressively higher at the bottom of each letter.

Photos of my 1831 O-117a, R4:

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LincolnCentMan,

Welcome to our CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. I think your coin is O-116 R3. This marriage has been shown earlier, so you may want to compare yours to the earlier one.
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Jobiwan115,

What is going on with those surfaces on your 1831, O-110 (that Mozin ID'd). Reason is I have seen several cast pieces that resemble this piece and those raised bumps in the field look way too obvious. Also the cracks in the metal across Miss Liberty's nose are suspicious. With cast pieces this is usually caused by the German type silver metal shrinking in the mold. First , check the edge of your coin for a seam in the edge lettering. Second weigh it. If it's a cast "bogo" it will come up light.

Edgar
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Nearly a month since the last post here so here is 1831, O-106, R3 for those that would like a comparison.

Edgar

• Options
    n April the following coin was posted on the wrong thread in error.

Per Mozin's request I am moving the coin to this thread.

Here's another missing die marriage: the 1831 O-105, R3.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 3. This was the first of two uses of the die. The die was later used to strike the common O-104 die marriage.

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse Die E. This was the second of two uses of the die. The die was used just prior to strike the scarce 1831 O-106, R3 die marriage.

The quick identifiers of this die marriage are:

(1) There are two distinct horizontal die defect line below the bust. The top line touches the drapery.
    (2) The first 1 is sharply higher than the 8
    (3) Almost all of the lines in the stripes extend up past the lower three crossbars in the shield. The most noticeable are the lines of the first two stripes.

Photos of my 1831 O-105, R3:

• Options
    Without having reviewed the entire thread, I'm guessing no one has posted a pic of O.120 "a" and knows the real reason this DM is so rare. It ain't the hump!
  • Options
    Slumlord98,

I will bite. Always thought the reverse die for 1831 O-120 warped and broke from previously being used in both 1830 O-109 and 1831 O-107. So, what is the real reason O-120 is so rare?
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an 1831 Capped Bust Half Dollar that I recently purchased, and am pleased to share with my fellow forum members. image

1831 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC says this one is O-104. Haven't seen an example of this die marriage posted yet, so here it is:

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful bust half, and it's good to see this thread rise to the top again!
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure of the die marriage,but this is from the ex.Riever Collection(Now Pcgs AU-55)

Trade $'s
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.111, R1. 1831...an unremarkable year notable mostly for changes to edge lettering. Some varieties (O.106, O.107) show doubling to LIBERTY.

While this example is not either of those marriages it appears to show the same. Collectors are divided over whether this is true hub doubling or the more common portrait doubling.

This example looks to have spent many years in an album acquiring deeply colored rim toning. Unspoiled, undipped, original good looks with very clean fields. A wavy die crack joins the numerals at the base of the date and stripe one lines in shield merge and appear as two lines, not three.

imageimage
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of my most recent CBH purchases from Dick Osburn during the Dec 2009 Houston SW Money Coin Show... image

1831 Capped Bust Half (O-102)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    1831-117 Very Tough Coin in Higher Grades
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    HalfCollector, very nice looking Bustie. This marriage is not often seen with the double profile.
  • Options
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• Options
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!