Home Metal Detecting

So what does everyone use to clean their coins/finds?- rolling my finds up.

Decided to roll up all the common junk I found, what does everyone do with the stuff inorder to put back into circulation?- I don't think my bank would appreciate some nasty rolls of quarters,dimes etc. . I am not even sure some of the zincolns would be acceptible as bad as they are. I am sorting them out and saving the copper pre-82, but can't really see saving all of this stuff. I also sorted and separated my pull tabs, bottle caps, fishing stuff, miniture car and ammo finds- weather was pretty much a wash out for most of October. I had one of those harbor freight $30 rock tumblers before- it lasted about 30 days before the motor went and it went into the dumpster. Any home made or better tumblers out there? I don't really want to set up electrolosis or soak all this stuff (modern coins) just to be able to spend it.

Comments

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I've had my cheapo ($25)Harbor Freight tumbler for 3 years now and it does the trick for me.
    The belts they sent with it lasted only a few hours but once I got a good belt its been fine.
    I usually spend January and february tumbling and rolling my stuff.
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    I think that was the first problem I had, then the motor just started to hum and I had enough with it. Where did you get the better belt?
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them in a tumbler with some sand and soap. I haven't turned in any of mine but in talking to the local banker he said that if I did not to roll them. Just bring them in and let the counting machine do the work.
  • I work in a bank branch, I can tell you there's no need to worry about the condition of the coins you're rolling. Coins, like paper money, that are not acceptable to pass back to the public are sent to the bank's main office for destruction. Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone
    What's the idea for keeping the pre 1982 penny's?
    Thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi everyone
    What's the idea for keeping the pre 1982 penny's?
    Thanks,
    Bob >>

In mid 1982 the mint changed to copper plated zinc for the cent. 99.2% zinc. Before that the cent was 95% copper, 5% zinc so the value of the copper in the pre '82's is more than 1 cent. Many people are hoarding all they can find in the hope they will make out some day.