Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lost package, what do you do?

Over the last 6+ years I have sent out many thousands of packages (I use the USPS, insured first class mostly). While most of them arrive at their destination unscathed...I have dealt with perhaps 10-12 lost packages. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen.

When a lost package occurs, I usually let the person know that USPS requires 21 days to file a claim. I then tell them that as soon as this time period has elapsed I will forward the neccessary paperwork to the post office and issure them a refund promptly after that. That usually suffices. Oddly enough, when I most people that it was shipped via USPS numbered insured, the packages almost always miraculously arrives within the next couple of days. But sometimes it is not the case and most people are will to wait. Well...

I am dealing with someone (fairly new to ebay) in which his package has not arrived and it has been about 14, with seven more to go for the filing minimum. I have explained all this, and while I am not sure he understands what I am saying, is insisting on an immediate refund insisting the package is never going to arrive.

Here is what I am getting at...given the situation would you refund right away or wait for the 21 day minimum to elapse? The reason why I hesitate is not the measly float period...it is only $70, my concern is that I have refunded right away twice and when I later filed the claim, the post office in response said the package showed "delivered." And I ended up screwed. So, I kinda look at the 21 day minimum and the post office as my protection.

What would you do, or expect as a customer? Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    As a customer, if you show on your end that you are least trying to track down the package or have explained to me the "logic" behind the USPS and keep in contact with me via e-mails or what ever, then I would be perfectly willing to wait the designaed time period. This is something that is totally out of your hands, claim filing....why not send buyer the USPS web page concerning the shipping of insured packages?

Appease the beast...not all customers can be made happy, no matter what you do...they will complain.

Positve re-enforcement...show them your feedback.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    You and buyer are communicating and as the buyer I'd not have a problem waiting a few more days.

Hope this deal works out favourablyimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<I am dealing with someone (fairly new to ebay) in which his package has not arrived and it has been about 14, with seven more to go for the filing minimum. I have explained all this, and while I am not sure he understands what I am saying, is insisting on an immediate refund insisting the package is never going to arrive.>>>
    How does he know it’s never going to arrive? I call shenanigans. If he paid for insurance then he has to abide by PO insurance rules.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had similar situations. I stall as long as possible. If they get impatient and feel that you are yanking their chain... especially a new ebayer, the chance for making a great impression are simple.
    It's better to remember that the customer is always right (right image).... Really though, if you give his money back with a note that says : " Please remit payment when the coin arrives".... it usually causes two things. A bond of trust when the coin arrives and he has his money still, so he sends it back and leaves a good feedback, or......... a great impression that you are bending over for your client (customer) and want him to be happy. You are in a win win situation even if you should lose. Take advantage of the chance offered. Send his money back with a note requesting remittance of payment upon arrival of coin. It's risky, but it's one of them times where you are at a crossroads. Why press the issue waiting ? Fix it quick !

Just how I'd do it. (If the stall didn't work)

Joe

edit to add:
    Keep in mind all the negative press that ebay gets. What if the buyer took all that advice here on the boards and is gun shy of ebay ? That is what I consider first. ( send him tracking information , too )
  • Options
    I’ve never had a package I sent get lost. But, I don’t send on the cheap as some of you do. Everything goes out Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation and Insurance is included or if it’s over $700 - $800 it goes out Registered Insured.

I believe you’ll find someone will be less likely to try and scam you if they have to sign for it and show their ID. Or get screwed when the PO says it was delivered.

If a package, usually a bubble mailer, arrives to whom ever ripped open and the contents are gone, which has happened to coins sent to me 9 or 10 times, you do not have to wait the 21 days or what ever to file a claim. The receiver will need a form; he can get at his PO, he should fill it out and the destroyed mailer and send it to you, the sender. Once those are mailed and received by the sender at that time I believe a refund is due the buyer. With those in hand you can fill out your form and turn it in at your PO and have the insurance paid to you, the sender.

If a coin has not been received in the 21 days or what ever it is then the buyer should be made whole.

With signature confirmation and Insurance it is redundant as both have to be signed for by the recipient. Signature confirmation you can track on the USPS web site but to track an insured package you have to go to the PO. I have had first class insured just delivered to me without signing for it.

When I buy a coin I want the coin. When I sell a coin I want the buyer to receive the coin. I don’t want to make insurance claims.
    IMHO there are many sellers who should rethink their shipping methods.
    Cheap is not always the best … especially with collectibles.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm a logical person (thus I impose my logic on others!). If the seller is talking to me in a reasonable way (not stalling), I have reason to believe the seller will make good if it does not arrive.

I also think if this buyer is pressing for an immediate refund for no reasonable answer, they may be trying to scam you.

I have had this about twice. When I tell the buyer they will be required to sign the postal claim form (and a simple fraud would become a federal offense) the package normally arrives!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    It seems that you have 2 issues to deal with. One is between you and the package recipient. The other is between you and the post office. It's probably best to just give your customer his refund to take care of that problem. Then file your insurance papers when it's time. If the package arrives after you send his refund and he keeps quiet, no big deal. You'll get your money from the insurance anyway.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any way that if you refund his money now that you can request that the package NOT be delivered. In other words if you mail a package does the USPS allow for you to put a "stop delivery" on it?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same situation, I just gave the money back to the customer, and I had to deal with the bs from the Post Office. The Post Office refunded me my mula, after a fee, and 4 weeks. At least I didn't get burned.

morgans
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the package arrives after you send his refund and he keeps quiet, no big deal. >>

I beg to differ! In this case the customer now has US Government Property since the claim was paid. If you don't see this as a problem, look harder. The US Gov't paid the claim, and now owns the package. The customers get's their money back and the coin. The seller is at break even. So the customer is ahead and the gov't is shorted. Ask not what your country can do for you....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I beg to differ! In this case the customer now has US Government Property since the claim was paid. If you don't see this as a problem, look harder. The US Gov't paid the claim, and now owns the package. The customers get's their money back and the coin. The seller is at break even. So the customer is ahead and the gov't is shorted. Ask not what your country can do for you.... >>

Yep and UNKA SAM don't take kindly to his stuff gettin stealed. Sadly the USPS is too big and too inept to ever keep this from happening and for something worth a C note or less they probly don't care.
  • Options
    I've had two packages lost by the USPS and both times I insisted the customer had to wait for the USPS grace period (at the time was 30 days) before I could file a claim. Once the period was up and I filed the paper work, I put a refund in the mail. In one instance, a coin took three weeks to to get to a customer. In another instance, an item took nearly a month to get to me but was shipped when the seller claimed it was. Excrement occurs. . .
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the future....you may wish to look into using a third party insurer....this gets rid of some of the issues that you mention above
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I would wait the 21 day period, plain and simple.
  • Options
    Make him wait the 21 days!
    I don't refund them their payment, I let them receive the USPS payment.
    After all, I didn't loose the package, the USPS did.
    I had a simillar problem with a fellow forum member.
    He was an impatient SOB.
    The more I think about it the madder I get!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    . If he paid for insurance then he has to abide by PO insurance rules.

also make sure you say this in your rules when someone buys something from you insured by usps for the shipper that if the package is lost and you need to submit a claim refunds will be given after the usps validates the claim!! which might be a couple of months or more!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin was sold to board member "Fletcher" you better refund his money right away, because he is special!

Otherwise, if you refund the $$ before the claim is filed, you are exposed to being scammed. Also, check to see if the package has been delivered already (if you do not have delivery confirmation, you need the PO to track is for you).
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    If the package arrives after you send his refund and he keeps quiet, no big deal. You'll get your money from the insurance anyway.

Postal Fraud...chain gang time!

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread shows me how complicated shipping can be. When you have a seller as experienced as Morris, asking questions about what to do, and there are not really any clear-cut answers. Amazing!

Edit: I'm not criticizing Morris in any way in this comment. Morris is an excellent seller. I'm just saying that shipping shouldn't have any unresolved issues. But it does have some, and there hasn't really been any progress in resolving them.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the coin was sold to board member "Fletcher" you better refund his money right away, because he is special! >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I bought a cheap error nickle for $5 on eBay one time so of cource I didn't want to pay for the offered insurance. The coin never came. The sellers says I mailed it but you didn't buy insurance too bad so sad. I'm thinking he scammed me for $5. He's thinking I'm trying to scam him for $5. A year latter the coin arrived. It was postmarked about the time that the seller had said he mailed it. Somebody explained to me that sometimes letters get left in the mail tubs and the tubs get stacked over in the corner of the PO and until they use that tub again getting your letter back into the system your package is "lost."
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I can't speak from experience, but keep blaming the Post Office.

You can show him/her the links at USPS and say your hands are tied until the 21 days are up and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Send him a copy of the USPS receipt so he knows you have sent it and send him the link to the USPS policy.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Make him wait the 21 days!
    I don't refund them their payment, I let them receive the USPS payment.
    After all, I didn't loose the package, the USPS did.
    I had a simillar problem with a fellow forum member.
    He was an impatient SOB.
    The more I think about it the madder I get! >>

You are a fine poet. I don't mean to laugh, but it reads quite humorously, simple and concise.... but, it still makes for a funny tune in my head !

You wait three weeks
    I got no cash
    The postal guy done got yer stash
    It left my hands into a box, so sit on down and pull up your socks.

Kinda like that is how I read it image
  • Options
    I run into this occassionaly. Definately keep the customer informed as to how it is going with USPS, but by no means give him the refund up front (unless you know him well).
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>This thread shows me how complicated shipping can be. When you have a seller as experienced as Morris, asking questions about what to do, and there are not really any clear-cut answers. Amazing!

Edit: I'm not criticizing Morris in any way in this comment. Morris is an excellent seller. I'm just saying that shipping shouldn't have any unresolved issues. But it does have some, and there hasn't really been any progress in resolving them. >>

I am not sure it is really a complicated problem, just a problematic customer. The buyer is still insistant on an immediate refund, he seems to completely ignore my side of the story...and is pushing the whole "I paid for the item, I did not receive the item, so refund my money." I keep telling him that he will be made whole, I just am left swinging in the wind if I refund before the 21 days...he seems to not care about an equitable situation for both of us, which makes me very suspicious.

He's fairly new to ebay and it is likely he will neg, but I am not sure I really care...I think I have done all that I could. I told him that I would be happy to forward him the insurance slip and let him do the whole process on his own, but am willing to do the whole process for him, since I am sorry the item shipped was delayed/lost.

Maybe I should just tell him to do it on his own.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Have him sign the claim form, by the time he returns it to you it will be the 21 days.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file