Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another theory on why ebay is slowing down.

I search for many different types of sportscards - vintage, modern, graded, raw - you get the idea. I have noticed a huge increase in fixed price or buy it now auctions with insane prices on them. It is getting harder to actually
find an decent auction to bid on.

One of the biggest attractions of ebay used to be the bidding action. If it is going to be just a listing service with fixed prices, I think the slowdown may continue.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    EBAY is slowing down?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slowing down in terms of prices realized.
    Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    wish it would slow down on the sets I'm working on- they're way up from earlier this year.

I spoke with a friend of mine at the National that works for Ebay. They are also concerned about the amount of fixed price listings (drives down profits) and were taking steps to discourage them. That is why store prices went up last month.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    People are too busy searching too many different topics also.
    Is it a vintage card..or PSA..or 1969...or '69...or 69-70...you get the idea.

Other people are just plain lazy.

quote:" do you have any other PSA 10 Michael Jordans available?"
    answer..."yes, just go to my Ebay store and there are over 75 available..many with low low pops...even some 1 of 1's"

reply:" can you send me a list?"

Can I send them a list...what...they're too lazy to click a couple of buttons....WTF!!
    They want me to take 30-45 minutes out of my crazy shedule to do the same thing they could do in 10 seconds.

I know..I know..IF I want to make the sale....

Same thing happened last week..I had a card go for auction for $38.00...while at the same time...I had a double in my Ebay store for $24.95 Buy it now.

Go figure..
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    When it comes to sportscards I think the reason for the slowdown can be explained as follows.

1) Most people buy and sell sportscards as a hobby--not a business. As such, they are not necessarily compelled to sell a card at the market price if taking that price would result in a significant loss. The supply of sportscards, both modern and vintage, continues to rise, yet demand (appears) to be holding constant. The result, then, is a lower market price- and many people may choose to hold the card rather then sell at that price. This results in fixed price listings, where people will happily sell a card if they can get 'their price', but will not sell at the market price.

2) Ebayers, by and large, are becoming more sophisticated. I think there was a time when people would run auctions simply for the thrill of running them. But it makes sense that this motive would wane as time goes by.

3) More and more people are realizing that they can get get 'their price' for something eventually if they're just willing to wait it out. I know this is true for me, and I suspect it's true for others as well. For instance, I have a 1986 Topps Sid Fernandez PSA 10 up for sale right now that is going to sell for at least the opening bid ($99) sometime tomorrow. But I listed it for $99 three weeks ago, kept it in my store for $125 for two weeks, and put it back up for auction on $.20 listing day. Three years ago I would have just put this card up for sale with a starting price of $4.99 and waited to see what would happen- and I probably would have sold it for $30 or so. But as time has worn on I've realized that when you have something that's at least fairly scarce you will find someone who's demand for it is relatively price inelastic eventually if you just hold on to it long enough. I suspect other Ebay sellers have come to a similar conclusion.
  • Options
    Boopotts - I suspect that you are correct about people holding out for better prices, especially for quality stuff. I guess I still like the bidding aspect of ebay, but I guess I can understand why sellers are trying to get higher prices.

Maybe I need to go to more shows again to see if there are any deals left.
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I need to go to more shows again to see if there are any deals left. >>

I am not sure, other than eBay's profits, how eBay is slowing down. For people who sell and actually let an "auction" take its course, I don't think it's slow. If by your quote above, that you are looking for a "deal", then I would think eBay is picking up rather than slowing down which is why you can't find said deals. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I think there are just boat loads of unopened boxes out there that are getting ripped now and making a lot of "hot" cards, common.
    With fixed prices you are only going to get buyers that need something, auctions attract people that want something and give them the thrill of bidding.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    This is how rumours get started:

Title of thread: Another theory on why ebay is slowing down.

Show us facts that this is true...............................I do not see it!!

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    as a buyer, i rarely if ever buy BUY IT NOW...there are no bargains there...i amassed my collection on auctions, where i knew i was getting a good deal, not TOP DOLLAR like buy it now.....no wonder my mail days have slowed, i too have noticed way too many fixed listings..blah

MANY TIMES I THINK FIXED LISTINGS ARE A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO SHOW OFF THEIR CARDS WITH NO INTENTION OF SELLING....
  • Options
    This is exactly why I do all my sportscard shopping at the Yugoslavia eBay. They're still a few years behind the eBay phenomenon here in the States and it's ripe for the picking.

Arthur
  • Options
    Auction prices are definatly on a downward trend in the last month or so... As a result i have been listing more and more items in my stores and just listing a handful of auctions.. it just seems that there are not enough eyes looking at the usual types of items..
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that big time dealers run these fixed price auctions at certain times of the year and I have always believed it was for tax purposes (so they can write off some loss). I have always wondered if dealers can write off their inventory if they showed they tried selling it but couldn't. Just an idea.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I think the PSA bulk special of a few months ago has had an extremely negative effect on realized prices as it is the likely reason for the increase in supply.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wish it would slow down on the sets I'm working on- they're way up from earlier this year. >>

I hear ya. These "slow downs" never seem to pertain to anything I collect. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    You forgot one important factor, the recent $0.20 listing day always results in eBay being flooded with sellers testing the market on cards. If it only costs $0.20, why not list a BIN w/ Best Offer for cards that might sell for over $50?

When you combine a $0.20 listing day with a slow time of the year for sales, a solid BIN w/ Best Offer is a nice way to still sell cards and protect your bottom line.

My collection is under construction at 27outs.net
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Sometime BUY IT NOW's are a good way of getting rare cards. It the BIN is lower that you would bid up on a card, why wouldnt you use the BIN. Especially when you know you have compettitors on your tail.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    7:27 PM on the West Coast, I typed in PSA into ebay and about 90% of the auctions ending in the next hour are buy it nows or have high starting prices.

On the bright side, I will probably save a few bucks not buying anything tonight.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Sometime BUY IT NOW's are a good way of getting rare cards. It the BIN is lower that you would bid up on a card, why wouldnt you use the BIN. Especially when you know you have compettitors on your tail. >>

That's true. Especially if the seller is unfamiliar with what it is exactly that they're selling. With sportscards this is rare but it does happen and it can make for a glorious day for the buyer when it does.

ndleo, what are you referring to when you say a slowdown? The amount of items for sale? The amount of items that are in auction format? The amount of actual realized prices? The amount of buyers making bids?

Thanks

Arthur
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>7:27 PM on the West Coast, I typed in PSA into ebay and about 90% of the auctions ending in the next hour are buy it nows or have high starting prices.

On the bright side, I will probably save a few bucks not buying anything tonight. >>

It's just one of those things-- for whatever reason the market isn't clearing right now. It's kind of like the housing market, in a way. The market price for homes has dropped considerably here where I live in the past year, so anyone who isn't desperate to sell isn't selling. The result is you see homes on the market for 12, 15 months, and even longer.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>7:27 PM on the West Coast, I typed in PSA into ebay and about 90% of the auctions ending in the next hour are buy it nows or have high starting prices.

On the bright side, I will probably save a few bucks not buying anything tonight. >>

Try that tomorrow night about this time. You'll see 40 tallboys that are true auctions. image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

>>

...cause a week ago was a .20 cent listing day.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    nbleo, just realized that you had already answered my question earlier in the thread.

Are you a buyer or seller? If you're a buyer I can't imagine you complaining about it. image

I know I'm not. I've been able to pick up some great cards in the past week for a fraction of what they were going for 6 weeks ago and I'm happy as a pig in chit about it. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Xanadu - I am mostly a buyer. Just not too many auctions to bid on lately.

I'll be glad once all of the BIN's expire. Bidding is part of the fun of ebay.
    Mike
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    This is exactly why I do all my sportscard shopping at the Yugoslavia eBay. They're still a few years behind the eBay phenomenon here in the States and it's ripe for the picking.

Xanadu, Are you working on a Yugo master set?
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run