Home U.S. Coin Forum

what is your all time fav. colonial type coin???

i am torn between two

massachusetts 1787-1788 half/large cent

and/or

pine/oak tree shilling

Comments

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    oh my

my my my my my my my my my..... image

Depends on the coins of course,
    but all things being equal,
    I'd be chilling...with the shilling. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    sweetimage
    But I would much prefer a nice choice VG flowing hair cent. image

Or even any liberty cap in nice choice VF. image

US coinage > colonial coinage.

So there. image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love many designs, especially those of New England, but I must be true to the coins that were minuted just minutes from where I grew up--New Jersey copper.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without pics!!!

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I like the Rhode Islands.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭

• DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    I always liked the elephant tokens:
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm partial to the Fugio Cents...I guess it's not technically a Colonial though...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Bar Cent ! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    I can't chose one.

Willow Tree Massachusetts silver
    Higley coppers
    New Jersey coppers
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    1652 Pine Tree Shilling. No H in Masatusets. I love the fact that the people that settled this freaking place couldn't spell it!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    bar copper

K S
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the coins listed are not colonial coins since they were made after July 4, 1776. Most of them are state issues or confederation issues. If I had to chose a colonial coin, it would be the continential currency dollar which may or may not be a dollar or even colonial.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭

<< <i>Most of the coins listed are not colonial coins since they were made after July 4, 1776. Most of them are state issues or confederation issues. >>

"Colonial" is more of a category in numismatics, however.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    "Colonial" is more of a category in numismatics, however.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so fugios and earlier "colonial koinage"
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Washington Liberty & Security

• New York Excelsior copper.

imageimage
  • The elephant token is one of my favorites. I don't have one so can't post a picture.image
    One of my other favorites is the Nova Constellatio with the all seeing eye. I have one, but it's not a high enough grade that really brings out the eye and the rays, so I won't post that photo.

• << <i>New York Excelsior copper.

imageimage >>

I LOVE that!
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I collect Fugio cents and would be inclined toward them. The quinessential type would have to be the oak tree or pine tree Mass. issues. Isn't that the image we see when thinking about colonial coins? My choice though would be the ultramysterious Glouchester token.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Boy that is a tough question to answer since I enjoy so many colonials.

I get a charge out of all the diverse types within a given state copper series. For instance in the Connecticut series can you imagine having a horned bust, a small head right, and a 1788 draped bust left all at the same time as pocket change back in the 1780's and 90's?

I also think Massachusetts silver is especially special and another cool type coin is an original Plantations token try to find one(not restrike).

I could go on and on!!
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the coins listed are not colonial coins since they were made after July 4, 1776. >>

True, the term "colonial" has always struck me as a bit inappropriate for most of the coins classified as such.

A new, more accurate term is needed -- I've seen "Early American" used before, which seems good. Any other thoughts?

As for my favorite Eary American coin, I gotta go with this:

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Its got to be the 1796 Castorland. What a beautiful coin !!!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Here it is....
    imageimage
    http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/gloucester_tokens/gloucester_tokens.htm
    Mysterious, spooky and extremely rare.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

• << <i>Washington Liberty & Security >>

Conder token image

<< <i><< Most of the coins listed are not colonial coins since they were made after July 4, 1776. >> >>

We were still colonies after that date. We were colonies in rebellion until the treaty ending the war was signed in 1783. It wasn't until then that we were truly independent, not just because we said so at that earlier date. And the signers knew that because they knew that if the war WASN'T won they were all liable to be executed as traitors. ("Oh, no you see you can't call us traitors, you see we all signed that paper making us independent." "Right, (ka-thunk!) Next!" )
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
  • I'd very much like to own this Fugio restrike in gold. 3 known. A few years ago, a board member cherried it off Ebay for $350, and traced it's pedigree to Norweb. The original thread no longer has the picture, but i saved it.

Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd very much like to own this Fugio restrike in gold. 3 known. A few years ago, a board member cherried it off Ebay for $350, and traced it's pedigree to Norweb. The original thread no longer has the picture, but i saved it.

image >>

Whatever happened to that Fugio Andy?

• I'm not sure what happened to it. Unfortunately, the forum member passed on a couple years ago. Text
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I knew that, but I believe the coin was sold before Rob passed -

hmmmm
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years and my answer hasn't changed. Washington Liberty & Security designs. Some would argue they're not true colonials. Bah, I don't care...same era and most definitely the coolest of the time.
  • The Continental Dollar, with its powerful representation of the original union of thriteen colonies, the Franklin sundial obverse, and its impressive size (compared with most colonial issues) is my favorite. A gem silver example, if one existed, would be an incredible treasure.

Sunnywood
  • Given the OP's choice, a Shilling. But my favorite is the Fugio Cent.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • this would have to be my #1 favorite design.

-sm
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have always had a thing for immune columbia. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • which brings to mind a question i've had in my mind-- when does the "colonial" era end? 1776? 1781 when Cornwalis surrendered at Yorktown? 1783 when the Treaty of Versailles was ratified? 1784, the last year the states couldn't strike their own coins?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I like this one!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the story of the famed "Brasher Doubloon". It's always had a bit of a mythical feel to it, due to it's rarity.

I suppose that since it was made after the United States was accepted as independent in 1783, that maybe it wouldn't technically considered a colonial issue. In that case, neither would the Fugio cent, which is probably my favourite attainable coin from that period.

So, to stay within the (my self-imposed) rules of what constitutes a "colonial issue", I would opt for the Pine Tree Shilling.
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    (missing you from the boards Michael)

One I have always liked is the Vermont copper with the Sun peeping over the mountains.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I don't know it it has been mentioned or not, but I'm a big fan of the New Spain (Texas) Jola Tokens

• << <i>I'd very much like to own this Fugio restrike in gold. 3 known. A few years ago, a board member cherried it off Ebay for $350, and traced it's pedigree to Norweb. The original thread no longer has the picture, but i saved it.

image >>

It turned out, by the way, that this piece was not the Norweb coin - it was heavier, but more worn. Might have been a cast copy or something.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having a tough time answering the question. image
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm...do Myddelton Tokens count?

Otherwise, I'd choose a Large Planchet Pine Tree Shilling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file