Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long before coins are artificially crusted?

clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
If they aren't already. Lately "crusty" is considered desirable, which means smoebody will figure out how to make them look that way. Please don't misunderstand, I like them that way, too, but you can be sure the doctors are tuning in on this.

Comments

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Hopefully never, but I see where you are coming from. image

Coin doctors just keep making me more upset. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a place on South 54th Street in Winkapazucket where they do this. They bring in whizzed busties every morning by the panel truck full, and ship them out in bulk to PCGS each afternoon. I know this, because my brother's uncle's friend was over there with his nephew. They are doing a booming business.
    mirabela
  • Options
    it will be harder to replicate crustiness because it actually requires that you wear the coin down a little to get the right look.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a place on South 54th Street in Winkapazucket where they do this. They bring in whizzed busties every morning by the panel truck full, and ship them out in bulk to PCGS each afternoon. I know this, because my brother's uncle's friend was over there with his nephew. They are doing a booming business. >>

artificially toning coins is one thing, but what these people are doing is offensively unethical and makes me furious
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>There is a place on South 54th Street in Winkapazucket where they do this. They bring in whizzed busties every morning by the panel truck full, and ship them out in bulk to PCGS each afternoon. I know this, because my brother's uncle's friend was over there with his nephew. They are doing a booming business. >>

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I think that was a joke, but it goes to show that it's hard to satirize this stuff.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember when most folks on the board didn't like crusty. Now it seems to have changed. Of course I see many posts calling a coin crusty, but they are impostorsimage. Don't think for a minute this isn't happening out there. How bout filling in scratches with dirt (mud paste)? Yes, I believe I've seen it. In person too. Not seeing it done, but I felt very comfortable in my opinion it was "done."
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    You mean my "Green Weenie" is comming back in fashion?image

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as someone can make money by doing it.
  • Options
    "artificially crusted" ?? LOL, how about if we just bake them into a flaky pie crust !!

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Already happening.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Well, I've actually always wondered how long it would take before someone takes a Gallery Mint copy of a major U.S. rarity, and artifically wears it down, crusts it over, and passes it off as a VG or lower-graded coin. Yes, I know they are marked "COPY" but on a worn coin, perhaps that could be glossed over ...

By the way, I always thought those Gallery Mint replicas and their ilk should not be legal to produce.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I've actually always wondered how long it would take before someone takes a Gallery Mint copy of a major U.S. rarity, and artifically wears it down, crusts it over, and passes it off as a VG or lower-graded coin. Yes, I know they are marked "COPY" but on a worn coin, perhaps that could be glossed over ... >>

This has definitely already happened. I remember a thread from here, in fact, maybe a year or two ago, where someone pegged a VG-ish draped bust something-or-other on ebay as exactly that. A week or two in a rock tumbler full of sand and old denim (or something -- I'm just speculating here, I don't do this!) had the thing looking fairly plausible, too.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    They've been doing artificial cameo for years. Artificial crust is easy. It's hard to clean a coin but easy to make it dirty. Like stman said slap some mud on it & that's it.
    On the forms for the coin doctor I use he has a box to check for whether you want artificial tone, artificial crust, artificial frost (proofs only), scratches puttied, and scratches lasered (gold only).
    $50 per selection or $200 if you chose all options on bulk work orders of 10 or more coins.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    On the forms for the coin doctor I use he has a box to check for whether you want artificial tone, artificial crust, artificial frost (proofs only), scratches puttied, and scratches lasered (gold only).

Who are you using for your coin doctoring services?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artificial Crust ?

Oh yeah, AVON and MAYBELLINE and MARY KAY got that stuff.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's been going on for years, probably as long as toning has. it's hardly a new idea. surely been happening as long as i've been in coins, which is to say at least 35 years

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file