Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reverse facing up in PCGS holder

I won this off teletrade the other day. Was this a mistake in slabbing the coin

Comments

• Options
    i don`t think so. its probably because of FBL.

edited to add:

kind of like how the statehood quarter series is slabbed.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Since it has FBL designation, the submitter requested tails up in the holder, just a preference..nice Franklin.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    you are allowed to request to have the reverse facing up. This is done mostly with coins toned heavily on only one side
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    And here I thought the coin was minted backwards. image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you are allowed to request to have the reverse facing up. This is done mostly with coins toned heavily on only one side >>

That's been my experience. Here's one:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    request from submitter

which they did way back in late 1990's when this coin was holdered
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a recent submission I had 6 out of 8 or 10 Morgan toners come back tails up without even askin. On one after that, nada, zilch, zip, zero, nuttin.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you write on the actual submission FLIP
    (not on the invoice) ---

"Reverse Up"

That's the best way to make sure the
    reverse of your coin is the front side
    of the PCGS holder.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    If you ask they will mount it reverse up, If you don't sometimes they will mount reverse up if there is something special about the reverse. Otherwise they mount them obverse up. Back in the early days of the grading services they would always mount them obverse up even if you specificy asked for them to be reverse up. They made the change in 1999 after the state quarters started coming out and they started getting a LOT of requests for the reverse to be mounted up. (It made sense since all the the differences on the state quarters were on the reverse.)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Conder101...not to get OT but there are times my wife will point her finger at me and say, "I'm gonna have them put you in the casket face down so you can see where your headed"

I guess that would be a preference to positioning in a holder?image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Here's a tails up Moragn in an older generation PCGS slab:

• Options
    Maybe not too much older. That style lasted through Nov of 1998.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope this isn't too off topic but maybe someone can tell me if this is common.
    This is the one I have and I saw one up for auction like this.
    Thanks
    This'll be the first pic I've posted, fingers crossed...
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I own several coins with the reverse side holdered out. I like the look with the right coin.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Conder101...not to get OT but there are times my wife will point her finger at me and say, "I'm gonna have them put you in the casket face down so you can see where your headed" >>

I thought that was so they could kiss your ass one last time. image

Too bad they [PCGS] doesn't have two inserts the same so that the label reads the same on both sides. That way when you display your coins in public or in a case at a show you don't have to explain that the gorgeous reverse toner is a 84-o in ms66.
  • Options
    If you want that get them graded by SDGS (Silver Dollar Grading Service) out of Texas. They do use the same label on the front and back of the slab.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had this coin graded by PCGS, they holdered it reverse-out without me requesting it.

• Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Reverse side is pretty cool with a coin like that 58d. That coin is very
    attractive with FBlines and toning. The first coin I ever paid big bucks for ($1.50) at a coin shop in Albany, NY was a 58d. Started and
    completed a set in Mint State back when the 49S was "key" date.
    All Albany commens come reverse side up.

I hate it when a coin is at a 90 degree angle.

• Options

<< <i>When I had this coin graded by PCGS, they holdered it reverse-out without me requesting it. >>

From my first post

<< <i>If you don't sometimes they will mount reverse up if there is something special about the reverse. >>

Apparently they considered the colors on the reverse enough to make it special.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Well, just when I say they all are I get my PCGS submissions today
    with the Beaver side (obverse) correct. Never say "they all"
    never say never.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file