Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wadda ya do?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
have two silver 20th anniversary sets all coins graded 68 first strike. Two options:
1. crack them out and return to the mint. they say they will ship out replacements in 2-3 weeks
2. hang on to them in hopes they will have value later

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Comments

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Why would you return them to the mint? Do you have a legitimate reason to do so?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Do you have a legitimate reason to do so?

uh ya!?!
    derryb is looking for 70s, not 68s....imageimage
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    none other than the fact that they are proofs and I feel any grade less than 69 on a proof that went straight from the mint to PCGS indicates a flaw in the coin or in the grader and based on my experience with PCGS I do have confidence in the graders.

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>none other than the fact that they are proofs and I feel any grade less than 69 on a proof that went straight from the mint to PCGS indicates a flaw in the coin or in the grader and based on my experience with PCGS I do have confidence in the graders. >>

Graders are imperfect and inconsistent and coins are usually imperfect, as well. You should have determined whether the coins were acceptable to you or not at the time they were delivered to you. If you chose not to inspect them upon receipt, you should be willing to accept responsibility for the results of that gamble.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    not what derryb wants to hear i,m sure.
    oh well. live and learn.
    dont take any of this as personal attacks on you derryb.
  • Send them back to the mint, and demand they send you coins that PCGS will slab at least Proof 69. Tell em this stuff they sent you that's only Proof 68 ain't even worth putting into circulation.
    Don't take any guff from them over it, either. Swear a lot if you talk to them on the phone. I heard that helps you get your way.
    Keep us posted.

Ray
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be hard to return to the mint-they are not in the original mint packaging anymore?
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    pop 'em on the BST and I think you'll still get your money back, plus.
  • how long will grading services designate coins as first
    strike? You may get a PF 70 but doesn't help if they
    come back PF70 and no first strike sticker . just my 2 cents worth.
    Home of quality widgets
    "have two silver 20th anniversary sets all coins graded 68 first strike. Two options:
    1. crack them out and return to the mint. they say they will ship out replacements in 2-3 weeks
    2. hang on to them in hopes they will have value later"

I'll put coinguy down for hang on to them
    anybody else care to vote (or chastise)?

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gambled, lost, and now you want to take advantage of a nice return policy which will ultimately penalize everyone with an increase in costs.

Worst case scenario, crack them out, place them back in the holders and sell on ebay. Order new ones from the Mint.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The mint should just submit these things directly to PCGS and eliminate the middleman.
    Actually, my first five sets graded out at three 69s and two 68s. 15 more sets currently at PCGS. Just thought I stir up a little thought/discussion on what to do with the 68s (I'm sure there will be more in my current PCGS order).

• stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    << The mint should just submit these things directly to PCGS and eliminate the middleman.>>

They could submit the real "First Strikes" and make a killing on ebay. Imagine what a U.S. mint certified $50 gold or ASE reverse proof with serial No. 1 in PCGS PR70 would sell for - boggles the mind.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I have sent back 10 SAE sets. Every one of the reverse proofs had milk spots and pits of some kind. I believe the worst two would have body bagged at PCGS, and some might have come back at PR66 or 67. You can see some of the photos here link
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them on ebay at face value and I'll bid them up to 200.

<< <i>Put them on ebay at face value and I'll bid them up to 200 >>

All yours, 2 sets at 200 each

• I vote sell them on Ebay or BST. They will certainly bring more than issue price. You might even make a profit after all grading fees and selling fees, you might have a small loss. Sending in sealed boxes for submission is certainly a game of chance.

Returning them to the mint only gets you $100 in value for each set, and you will be out all the grading fees and postage. What is the point of that when those graded sets will sell for more than $100? If you get coins back, they will almost certainly be too late for the 11/11 First Strike deadline. I don't see why returning the coins is even on the table. It is the wrong thing to do ethically, and the wrong decision financially.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Put them on ebay at face value and I'll bid them up to 200 >>

All yours, 2 sets at 200 each >>

gimme that link to ebay and I'll back ya image

Proof in the Puddin' image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file