Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have a guilty secret...

About 18 months ago I bought a standup curio cabinet with 6 glass sheves, light, etc, framed in a red wood of some kind.

I filled it with large medals, proof coins in airtite containers, and the few slabbed coins I had. A few silver proof pieces on display were naked, unprotected. Basically most everything just sat for well over a year and recently I pulled out the naked pieces and you guessed it, vivid to moderate toning of an agreeable sort- light golds, reds, blue/green, very attractive stuff, totally natural-looking.

Nothing else is showing toning and the down side of any 'naked' coins did not tone.

The question is: AT or NT and should I be concerned enough to change things? Will slabbed or airtite pieces tone over time in this environment? I've seen pictures of other similar-looking cabinets on the forum and never thought twice about this acquisition... and isn't this the way many classic pieces in coin cabinets toned naturally over the years?

I feel guilty 'cause I could turn out some real beauties over a short period, if I was so inclined.image

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Please post some pictures. :-) NT IMO.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I asked that same question when the thread about some lightside who AT'ed was up here. Nobobdy answered me at the time. My cabinet has produced some nice toning on a couple Victoria medals over the last few years.image
  • Options
    NT if you ask me. My opinion of AT is that it involves deliberate use of chemicals / cooking agents over a very short period of time. The question of where one draws the line is difficult. For example I have a very simple set of nickels in a Dansco album, all very innocent and mostly just pocket change to see what I can find. But the satin finish nickels I put in there about 6 months ago are toning markedly. Now I call this NT, I did nothing more deliberate than storing the coins, and so did you in your case. So enjoy the coins guilt free and post some pics!

Dr J
  • Options
    I look for depth of tone. Does the toning appear to float on the surface or look deeply set into the luster.

I wanna see pics
    show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    NT....unless you have an open pan of sulpher or ammonia in the bottom drawer...image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    a good example

This is one set I had out-didn't tone on the reverse (which was down) but the up side sure did.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins, Laurent! Do you know the mintage of the set?

Correct me if I err, but is the original packaging made of PVC?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins, Laurent! Do you know the mintage of the set?

Correct me if I err, but is the original packaging made of PVC?

It may be and that's why I had them out of the packaging to begin with.

another toner from the cabinet
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with Dr.J - it's NT. It's just a byproduct of a very typical storage method for collectors.
    For it to be AT it must, IMHO, be done deliberately with chemicals, blowtorch, whatever.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.