Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dumb Question - Where to Buy Dip and Acetone?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got an interesting deal yesterday, about 50 silver rounds from the 1970s. They have been improperly stored but otherwise not messed with. Some have PVC and few others have hazy toning. Some have toned nicely and those I won't touch. These are primarily bullion pieces, so I'm not too concerned about value.

So, where is the best place to buy the necessary "conservation" supplies?

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone can be found in any Wal-Mart/Department Store in the paint section. Not sure about the other.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brent-Krueger online for the MS70.
  • Options
    If you're buying acetone, make sure it's 100% pure acetone. Finger nail polish remover has acetone in it, but it'll turn your coins into some weird color.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Dip, either EZ-Est (formerly know as Jewel Luster) or MS 70 is usually available at any coin shop.

Acetone can be purchased at literally any store that carries paint.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    reagent grade acetone
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    get your acetone at office depot. also, refill the wife's nail polish remover from your supply, as it's alot cheaper then buying "name-brand" nail polish remover.

K S
  • Options
    The acetone will remove the "PVC" goo, but will not do anything with the tarnish/toning. That is what the dip is for. (And I don't think the dip will do a lot with the goo.)
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered dip, along with several other products, this past weekend from Stanton books. Note MS70 is not dip.
    --Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks for the pointers. I'll start with the acetone and report back on my progress. How long should I soak them? They don't have green spots yet but a few have milk spots and there is also "goo" all over a few of them.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only used acetone once to get some old masking tape residue off a barber quarter. I swished it for about 10 minutes. My experiment and pics are here if you want to see:

My Acetone experiment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy Tarnex at most drug stores which is a coin dip which is effective at removing tarnish.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Note MS70 is not dip.
    --Jerry >>

Thats what the Label says Jerry but a lot of people just dip the entire coin if it is warranted.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    A pouch of Redman can be found at the corner 7-11
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with MadMonk, purchase some reagent grade Acetone...not cheap, but because of trace impurities that might be present in so-called "100% Acetone" that you could buy for less than "not cheap," the dip job resulting might be less than ideal...Beside that, you might want to use the chemically pure Acetone on more valuable items in the future...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Note MS70 is not dip. --Jerry >>

Thats what the Label says Jerry but a lot of people just dip the entire coin if it is warranted. >>

Sorry, I wasn't clear. If by Dip, we're looking for an acid thiourea mixture to remove tarnish, generally referred to as "dip", then that is not MS-70. EZ-est is I think the most common dip. I think MS-70 is more soap based but I haven't used it. I have some of it on order too. --Jerry
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, MS-70 is not a tone remover, but more of a copper re-toner. image Sorry, I couldn't resist.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Well, a couple of the pieces that were completely covered in goo now have some nice mirrored surfaces (these were all proofs to begin with). I think I may have created some hairlines rubbing in the acetone with a Q-tip (impossible to tell what was underneath before). There is still some gunk on there so I am going to let them sit overnight in the acetone. In any case, what started as a PR67 and sat in a PVC flip for many years is about a PR64 now. Maybe PR65 in the morning image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to rub in the acetone with a Q-Tip, it is a strong enough agent to break up what you are using it for. You can let the coin sit in the acetone for 24-36 hours to get out stubborn pvc, just don't let the acetone evaporate over the coin- keep it completely submerged.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Similar to Acetone, but works differently in certain situations is Zylol. You can buy it from a hardware store or through an EAC dealer down South. Do NOT use a Q-tip if applying acetone to coins.....especially silver (MS or PF). You will cause hairlines.
  • Options
    MS70 is NOT "just soap." It contains sodium hydroxide (caustic soda, the active ingredient in lye). That is why it is reactive with copper and is capable of affecting surface toning. It should not be used when all that is needed is a simple warm water & soap solution.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    Thanks. I hope the active ingredients are listed on the side of these things when the show up. I ordered what seems like an entire apothecary: I started out looking for oil for old coppers, then I decided to get some dip, just in case. What the heck, lets have some MS70 and then for $2 I bought some "copper retoner". Might be fun to turn 2006 pennies chocolate brown...

--Jerry
  • Options
    Crap. I let the acetone sit overnight and it all evaporated away. Now it looks like there are water spots all over the coins. Apparently you have to cover the container. I'll retry the acetone again and rinse them before it all evaporates.

It is good these are cheap coins. If I were a coin doctor, the patient would be dead image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file