Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone remember "Danny B. Crabb"

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember this name from my childhood as being the first time I ever got taken in a coin deal. I think I was about 11 or 12 years old at the time (around 1972) and I responded to one of the coin advertisements in the back of a magazine...it might have even been a comic strip. So me and a buddy both sent a $1 in to get the "unknown mystery package" of old coins and waited the six weeks for delivery...and waited...and waited... My buddys mom finally got involved on his behalf and his coins came about six months later...mine never showed up. I think about this now because of all of the ebay scams that are out there.

The times have changed...or...have they really???

L
Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    I always seemed to remember one that was always in the TV Guide from someone going by the name Matt Numis, I chuckled at that even then but I'm sure he found gullible people to respond to the advertisement.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options

<< <i>I remember this name from my childhood as being the first time I ever got taken in a coin deal. I think I was about 11 or 12 years old at the time (around 1972) and I responded to one of the coin advertisements in the back of a magazine...it might have even been a comic strip. So me and a buddy both sent a $1 in to get the "unknown mystery package" of old coins and waited the six weeks for delivery...and waited...and waited... My buddys mom finally got involved on his behalf and his coins came about six months later...mine never showed up. I think about this now because of all of the ebay scams that are out there.

The times have changed...or...have they really???

L >>

There was a Danny Crabb who was one of the founders of the Memphis paper money show back in the
    1970s. I'm not sure if this is the same person or if he is still alive.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Danny Crabb you're talking about
    was a well-known coin dealer here in Los Angeles,
    back in the 1960's.

His shop was in Van Nuys, which is about two
    miles from my office.

I remember visiting his shop - one of the better
    retail coin shops around at that time.

He was also famous for having the "Worst Known"
    collection of silver commemoratives !!! (lowest grade).

Gee, I haven't heard his name in years...thanks for
    bringing back a few memories......

Fred

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred

I can't remember the address but the name just stuck. In any case, this event served to underscore several things for me at a young age...
      NEVER send money through the mail (I think my buddy actually send change taped to the inside of a 3x5 index card)...if it's too good to be true it's not true ( my friend ended up getting some low grade Wheat cents a Buff Nickel, and a couple of silver Dimes...something like that anyway)...Caveat Emptor (I didn't have an appreciation for this until I was much older).
    I hope it's not the same guy and if it is, I hope that this mail-order thing was just a fluke. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt [I can more afford to now] and I'd not like to believe that people actually went around scamming children of their lawn mowing money.

Regards,

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file