Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Jeff Bagwell's best rookie card?

Aside from Topps Traded Tiffany (which I don't consider a true rookie card), what is Jeff Bagwell's best rookie card? Does he have a definitive one, or not really? I'm assuming it's between Stadium Club, Ultra Update and Leaf Gold Rookies, unless I'm missing one. I'm not really concerned with nicest design or anything like that. Just want to know which is the best one to own. Thanks.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Ultra Update.....that could have been a 84 fleer update caliber set had Bagwell, Pudge, juan gonzalez, luiz gonzalez and mussina all stayed on track
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ultra Update.....that could have been a 84 fleer update caliber set had Bagwell, Pudge, juan gonzalez, luiz gonzalez and mussina all stayed on track >>

I agree. Juan Guzman was a good card too, back then
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ultra Update.....that could have been a 84 fleer update caliber set had Bagwell, Pudge, juan gonzalez, luiz gonzalez and mussina all stayed on track >>

Thanks. Ultra Update is what I was thinking too. I know it used to be the hands down Bagwell card to have (TT Tiffany not withstanding), but I wasn't sure if that had changed over the past few years. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I bought a PSA 10 Bagwell for about $300 years ago when the modern 10 market was scorching hot. I sold that card, but last week picked up 3 Bagwell 10's for $9.99 apiece. Talk about a dropoff. I saw that the Ultra Update Bagwell isn't even in the SMR any more (I hate when they just yank cards out like that!), and a Stadium Club 10 just sold for $25. Plus the Leaf Gold Rookies card has the highest SMR value. So one could see where my confusion is coming from. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I'll second the Ultra Update. Still a plentiful set but harder to find than anything else besides the Tiffany. The Stadium Club isn't bad either. Bagwell also has a Gold Leaf insert card from 1991 but not technically a rookie card. In terms of toughest grade you would want the 1991 Studio card. The red borders are highly prone to chipping and the set had centering issues as well. I would think a PSA 10 Studio could fetch more than a PSA 10 Ultra Update.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • I would think long-term the Stadium Club might be the best. Sure, there's boat loads of that stuff all over but I get the feeling that it will be the most collected set from '91 when set registry folks start to work on that era. That would be a nice looking set all in holders. Eye-appeal counts and that was a pretty issue.

Arthur
  • Looks like the Astros will not pick up his option next year. If he retires, any chance for the HOF with his numbers - .297 AVG & 449 HR?
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm rather partial to the '90 Best Glossy card of him in the New Britain Red Sox uniform, but I agree with the faction that favors the '91 Stadium Club card. That is a gorgeous set.
  • DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    The Stadium Club card is what is used on the "300 Great Baseball Cards by Mike Payne" on the set registry. I tend to agree it will be better long term over the Ultra Update.

Derek
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a 1991 Bowman glossy? Those Bowmans may not be the most attractive but they are certainly a challenge to find truly mint.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    That Studio card was a black and white picture? I remeber those!! I like the leaf gold rookie, I guess BEST is up to the "be" holder...lol. leaf gold is rare and has the black borders too a la 1971! What year is that ultra update set?

• << <i>That Studio card was a black and white picture? I remeber those!! I like the leaf gold rookie, I guess BEST is up to the "be" holder...lol. leaf gold is rare and has the black borders too a la 1971! What year is that ultra update set? >>

Those Studio cards(the b/w ones) are the most memorable set of when I was growing up. My brother collected then, and those were my favorites.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Astros will not pick up his option next year. If he retires, any chance for the HOF with his numbers - .297 AVG & 449 HR?

Interesting candidate, but I'd have to say no. 449 HRs won't mean squat in 5 years and he just doesn't have the overall numbers to get in. The fact that he was a popular player who played his entire career for the same team will help, but I look at Bagwell as a notch below Dawson or Rice. The steroid cloud will taint many of these newly-retired guys' power numbers, too, over time. Bagwell was a very good player but not a HOFer, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.