Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am now a thirty-something, and I am still very afraid of Littleton

I was taking a look at QDB's new Washington Quarter book. In the book are some well-placed advertisements for various coin firms. One such firm that took out a full page ad was Littleton Coin. In the ad, it shows a picture of their website, and encourages you to go to the site and request a free catalog. Always looking for new coin information, I went to the site today to sign up. Just as I was hitting the first keystroke, I stopped dead in my tracks. I realized that even though I am now a thirty-something, I still have the fear of Littleton that I had when I was 8 years old. Back then, I wrote for their catalog (for you young whippersnappers, that was before there was an internet). The catalog came, for sure, but then I started to get flooded with Good and AG buffalo nickels, Liberty nickels, Indian cents, and the like. I remember hiding the coins from my parents because I had no idea how to pay for these coins that were coming. I had no clue what "on approval" meant. Just recently, I was cleaning out some of my really old stuff, and I actually found an old Littleton envelope!

Needless to say, I did not sign up for their catalog. Maybe I need to see the PCGS Coin Forum Psychiatrist™. image
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Here's the plan. I send you some dateless buffaloes on approval, and you send them back to me! The curse will finally be broken and you can begin shopping Littleton's fabulous inventory.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am your Forum Psychiatrist™. (My qualifications include a 6 week rotation in the Miami VA inpatient unit and the license to prescribe controlled substances.) Do not sign up for the catalog. Not only will you relive childhood horrors and have questions about your relationship with your mother, your id will not benefit from the rekindled association, and your superego will never forgive you.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am your Forum Psychiatrist™. (My qualifications include a 6 week rotation in the Miami VA inpatient unit and the license to prescribe controlled substances.) Do not sign up for the catalog. Not only will you relive childhood horrors and have questions about your relationship with your mother, your id will not benefit from the rekindled association, and your superego will never forgive you. >>

<<(My qualifications include a 6 week rotation in the Miami VA inpatient unit and the license to prescribe controlled substances.) >>

Hmmm. Since I have just about kicked my second pain killer addiction, I guess I'm ready to sign on for another one. What-cha got?
  • Options
    Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid---The FLY
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your fear is justified.
  • Options
    Yawn, another thread about Littleton Coin.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    The list of fears continues to grow. So far, we have: (1) colonials, (2) housekeepers, (3) people at coin shows (or at least in parking garages), and (4) Littleton. I probably missed some.

One of these days, Longacre, all these things will converge in a perfect storm of phobia. image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't they Littleton, sell stamps also?

You could come down with this psychological disorder if you are collector of both coins and stamps.

philatelist + numismatist = pnuhilmatism

Scary
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i have always found littleton coins to be remarkably consistently & properly graded.

K S
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't they Littleton, sell stamps also? >>

That's one of the other Sundman brothers.....Mystic Stamp Co......

They had me on their approval list also as a child. My mom got tired of shipping them back and I asked to be removed from the list, 3 times.....
    When the approvals kept coming, my mom told me to finally 'keep' a package....Then the approvals stopped.....
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Mystic Stamp Co is owned by the brother of the owner of Littleton Coin Co.

Funny you mention them, Longacre. I was cleaning some old junk out of a closet and I came across a couple of those Kennedy staring at Lincoln pennies from Littleton.
  • Options

I do not know but I would love for them to send me a stamp on approval because I would stick it to the envelope to send it back to them (reminds me of a movbie where some guy had to spens a certain amount of money and have nothing to show for it in order to receive another bigger amount of money from a relative that passed away, he bought a priceless stamp and the lawyers thought they had him because he had bought something and he would have it at the end of the time period he had to spend the money, well he licked the stamp and mailed it to the law firm sticking to the envelope. I do not remember the name of the movie but it was pretty cool and I think it would be a great way for a multi millionaire to do their heirs so they would never want to spend money like that again and maybe they would spend the rest in a responsible way)
  • Options

<< <i>

I do not know but I would love for them to send me a stamp on approval because I would stick it to the envelope to send it back to them (reminds me of a movbie where some guy had to spens a certain amount of money and have nothing to show for it in order to receive another bigger amount of money from a relative that passed away, he bought a priceless stamp and the lawyers thought they had him because he had bought something and he would have it at the end of the time period he had to spend the money, well he licked the stamp and mailed it to the law firm sticking to the envelope. I do not remember the name of the movie but it was pretty cool and I think it would be a great way for a multi millionaire to do their heirs so they would never want to spend money like that again and maybe they would spend the rest in a responsible way) >>

Brewster's millions.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    They had me on their approval list also as a child. My mom got tired of shipping them back and I asked to be removed from the list, 3 times.....
    When the approvals kept coming, my mom told me to finally 'keep' a package....Then the approvals stopped.....

As I recall, I did pretty much the same thing, so my childhood memories of Littleton are actually pretty good. image

edited to add: Actually, Longacre, you'd better be really nice to Consuela, lest she put you on the Littleton mailing list!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Littleton acutally sends out quality stuff. Never seen anything by them under graded in fact, it's all pretty high for the grade. They do though have their stuff WAY over priced. I purchased an error coin from them and when I got it, it was not attributed properly. I gave them HELL for it. Last time I talked to them, the guy on the phone was reading my file and he laughed and told me that I was noted as an "irate" customer image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fear of Littleton can become chronic in some people. Hope you beat it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I'm a masters level therapist, and even I am afraid of littleton.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Just say "no"
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    They have alot of overhead that you pay extra for.Avoid.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They have alot of overhead that you pay extra for.Avoid. >>

You can go on a tour of their facility. I was staying at a nearby inn several years ago and paid them a visit. It is a fairly large building with lots of employees.
    I also was on their approval mailing list as a child!
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i> edited to add: Actually, Longacre, you'd better be really nice to Consuela, lest she put you on the Littleton mailing list! >>

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file