Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

why doesn't the ANA or PCGS or one of the Big auction houses commission OCC to make a "Coin Bik

Just think of all the design elements from classic coins the OCC guys could use. I think it could be an awesome bike. And then take it around to the major shows? I would imagine it would be a good draw, plus, just think of all the bikers milling around the bourse after looking at the bike. image

Plus, with all the money troubles the ANA has had if they had it built, they could auction it off as a fund raiser.
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    I think those bikes cost hundreds of thousands each. Kind of like having Michaelangelo "pimp your ride".
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think those bikes cost hundreds of thousands each. Kind of like having Michaelangelo "pimp your ride". >>

chump change for high rollers. image
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they copper plated the Statue of Liberty bike a few years back, I thought of having them melt down a bunch of pre-82 cents and do something similar as a coin bike.

Solid wheels made to be like 33 Saints, lots of eagles, coin instrument cluster, inlaid coins, coin cut-out lights, sort of like the pow/mia insignia they did. They could get custom bolt covers in the shape of coins, etc. I suppose the possibilities are endless, depending on how Paulie is feeling that month.

Hugegut is right though, that's not a cheap project. Would be neat to see.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Bikers at a coin show?? That might liven things up a bit.
    I wouldn't call them "bikers" but you'd be surprised at how many dealers & collectors ride Harleys and other motorcycles.
    A coin theme bike would be neat.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Cool...a Riding Liberty Hog image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I do not think most people that have bought a OCC bike are what I catagorize as a "biker". a Biker is someone that basically lives on their motorcycle and even though they may have the money to pay 100k for a custom bike they would much rather gather the parts themself and peice a bike together themselves (which is why custom bike builders have to struggle for many years before they make it big in the business, because the "bikers" do not want their bikes, and the other people do not know their name well enough to pay them for their work that they deserve). Most people that commission anyone to build a custom bike for them is some sort of business man (trying to promote their business) or what I call a weekend biker (may be a lawyer/doctor or any other professional) that even though they like to ride they also like the finer things in life and usually do more pulling their bikes behind their SUV to a bike rally other than riding it cross country just to be around their brothers. There is nothing wrong with either of these groups but the only thing they have in common with each other is that they like the freedom they feel when riding their motorcycle on the great open road with their friends or family. I have friends that would fall in both catagories even though I do not fit into either of them. This is atleast how I see the differences between the two groups, so even if you did have the "bikers" on the bourse floor after viewing the bike chances are you wouldn't ever know who they were because they would most likely fit in with the other people that are there already to vies the coins
  • Options
    For what purpose ? The ANA doesn't have enough money as it is for numismatic expenses !
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not think most people that have bought a OCC bike are what I catagorize as a "biker". a Biker is someone that basically lives on their motorcycle and even though they may have the money to pay 100k for a custom bike they would much rather gather the parts themself and peice a bike together themselves (which is why custom bike builders have to struggle for many years before they make it big in the business, because the "bikers" do not want their bikes, and the other people do not know their name well enough to pay them for their work that they deserve). Most people that commission anyone to build a custom bike for them is some sort of business man (trying to promote their business) or what I call a weekend biker (may be a lawyer/doctor or any other professional) that even though they like to ride they also like the finer things in life and usually do more pulling their bikes behind their SUV to a bike rally other than riding it cross country just to be around their brothers. There is nothing wrong with either of these groups but the only thing they have in common with each other is that they like the freedom they feel when riding their motorcycle on the great open road with their friends or family. I have friends that would fall in both catagories even though I do not fit into either of them. This is atleast how I see the differences between the two groups, so even if you did have the "bikers" on the bourse floor after viewing the bike chances are you wouldn't ever know who they were because they would most likely fit in with the other people that are there already to vies the coins >>

that may be so, but I'd think having Paul Senior look in their display case, not knowing who he is, would make more than one dealer reach for a dignity pad. image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

if you can't slab it, why bother ?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    OCC -- Motorcycling's modern crap. imageimage
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file