Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBAY goes off the deep-end

I'm reading the latest announcements be ebay and apparently there is a new way you can verify your bank account with Paypal. All you have to do is hand over your login and password to your online banking to them and they'll do the rest! Haha..are you kidding me?! I'd love to find out what they're smoking over there. Must be some good stuff!!

Automatic Bank Authentication
If you have online access to your banking institution, you have an opportunity to confirm your bank account in seconds. By sharing your bank login and password with PayPal via the Get Verified page, PayPal can automatically authenticate your access with the banking site. It takes only a few moments to confirm your bank account, which verifies your PayPal account. Automated authentication is becoming more common online, and it is a fast, convenient way to verify your account. (Note: PayPal does not store your login details for future use, and we will NEVER ask you for this information in an email.)

No risk here, right! image

Comments

• Options
    dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Treading quite close to phishing there. Hard to know where to draw some lines these days. I'm nearing the "trust no one" point. No thanks.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Never give out logins and passwords to your bank account to anyone. That's a cardinal rule. Any company that asks for such information is playing the fool, because they can be blamed for any future problems with your account.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fortunately, my bank and pay pal are one in the same image

the difference ?

My old bank paid 1 percent interest on monies held in checking.
    Pay Pal has a money market fund that pay 5.03%

Paranoid ? Switch to a bank that reallllllly pays you image
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    If you really needed to do it that way, then just change your user name and password with your online banking once verified with paypal, that is if there is any money left in your account.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    Correct !
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It's not as though verifying your account the old way was a torturous, month-long experience. No way I would give up my banking login to Paypal for that.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

Hmmm...let me think about that...uh no. Bad idea, like someone said its not like it is a month long tedious endeavor now.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    WOW and they wonder why there are so many scammers going after ebay users......

I can JUST SEE this one developing....
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoething comes to mind about not eating where you...
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I have no message like that in eBay MyMessages; you may be getting phished!

imageimage
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no message like that in eBay MyMessages; you may be getting phished! >>

I agree; can the OP provide a cite for this? It sounds like a phish...
  • Options
    When you sign up for PayPal, They give you 2 ways to verify.

1. Give routing# and account# and they deposit 2 small amounts into your account (say, .12 and.15) and then you go to the website and input what was deposited.

Takes 2 to 3 days.

OR

2.You give them your password and login and it will be a matter of minutes.

I opted for #1

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you sign up for PayPal, They give you 2 ways to verify.

1. Give routing# and account# and they deposit 2 small amounts into your account (say, .12 and.15) and then you go to the website and input what was deposited.

Takes 2 to 3 days.

OR

2.You give them your password and login and it will be a matter of minutes.

I opted for #1 >>

If you're smart, after going the laborious route (#1), you will then do eTransfers of Paypal monies to that checking account, and as soon as that deposit from PayPal has cleared, write a check on account #1 (Paypal account of record), and deposit those monies to a completely different checking account with a completely different bank or bank holding company.

This will disallow PayPal of coming back at a later date to "remove" monies in your account should you run across a fraudulent buyer/scammer on eBay or anywhere else......capece?
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Treading quite close to phishing there. Hard to know where to draw some lines these days. I'm nearing the "trust no one" point. No thanks. >>

Another PHONY ..offer ..these phonies keep coming because someone is falling for them...and EBAY don't give a hoot.

Just for example ..I bought a 2006 Gold set on EBay... I was the buyer , yet I got 6 emails from different people giving me a 2nd chance to buy the set.
    The crooks were all so kind to convert the purchase price into British pounds , Phillipine money etc......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have no message like that in eBay MyMessages; you may be getting phished! >>

I agree; can the OP provide a cite for this? It sounds like a phish... >>

No, this is real. Go into your "my ebay" and look at the "general ebay announcements" section. There will be a link that says "Now Available: More Ways to Get Verified With PayPal". You can also click on "see all ebay announcements". They really do expect that someone will give them the login/password to their online banking. Just crazy.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Stupid idea. In fact, it wouldn't even work with the account I have listed with them. Besides login and password, the bank requires registration of the individual computer that is accessing the account.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Uh, if I want to verify my bank account, I simply open another window, log onto my bank and check my account myself. Just takes a few seconds. Why should I have Paypal check it?
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, this is real. Go into your "my ebay" and look at the "general ebay announcements" section. >>

Link

Automatic Bank Authentication
    If you have online access to your banking institution, you have an opportunity to confirm your bank account in seconds. By sharing your bank login and password with PayPal via the Get Verified page, PayPal can automatically authenticate your access with the banking site. It takes only a few moments to confirm your bank account, which verifies your PayPal account. Automated authentication is becoming more common online, and it is a fast, convenient way to verify your account. (Note: PayPal does not store your login details for future use, and we will NEVER ask you for this information in an email.)

Wow. Uh, no thanks, PayPal. You can not have my bank password. Not yours.
  • Options
    Holy cow... that's unbelievable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file