Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got My ASE sets back...

imageimageimage

Excusing the bad photos, whaddaya think? Obviously I'm pretty happy. I decided it would be in poor taste to whine about the unavailability of an MS70. image Dang these shiney coins are hard to photograph.

--Jerry

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

How many sets did you send?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! How many sets did you send? >>

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    So you sent 60 coins total, where there just the 2 70's what is the break down of what you got back?
  • Options
    No, there were more than two 70's. I'd rather not flaunt my excellent results. Perhaps I shouldn't have even posted the one set. Lets just say I'm very, very pleased. Any guesses what this set is worth?

• Options
    I would guess on e-bay you could cover all your costs for 20 sets from what is displayed.

Purchase $2,000
    SH&I From Mint $9.90 ($4.95 x 2)
    SH&I to PCGS $35
    Grading $480 ($24x20)
    SH&I Back $37
    Packages Return $40 (20x$2)

So $2.5 - 3K

• Options
    <<No, there were more than two 70's.>> Congrats image
  • Options

<< <i>imageimageimage

Excusing the bad photos, whaddaya think? Obviously I'm pretty happy. I decided it would be in poor taste to whine about the unavailability of an MS70. image Dang these shiney coins are hard to photograph.

--Jerry >>

Fantastic,

Outstanding coins.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon they're worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm just not that someone image
    It's three ounces of silver with hundreds of thousands available.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimageimage

--Jerry >>

Why do you cover up the serial numbers? I've seen other examples like this on other coins...I'm not getting the picture.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>imageimageimage Excusing the bad photos, whaddaya think? Obviously I'm pretty happy. I decided it would be in poor taste to whine about the unavailability of an MS70. image Dang these shiney coins are hard to photograph. --Jerry >>

Why do you cover up the serial numbers? I've seen other examples like this on other coins...I'm not getting the picture. >>

These 70's might find their way into a registry set if I didn't...there have been threads about cheaters. --Jerry
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Nice work. I'm sending mine in today.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Mine are shipped in today along with my last gold set.

here's hoping.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can a First Strike of anything be less than a 70?image
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    <<How can a First Strike of anything be less than a 70?image>>

A big old greasy after lunch thumb print will kill a 70 every time, so will a smal piece of dust on the die or planchet image
  • Options

<< <i><<HOW 70?image a than less be anything of Strike First can>> A big old greasy after lunch thumb print will kill a 70 every time, so will a smal piece of dust on the die or planchet image >>

Lots of things can but the question was a rhetorical dig at first strike. Many coins have never had a 70 graded. There is no logic in the assumption that the actual first strike is a 70. --Jerry
  • Options
    I find an NGC set on Ebay up to $2400. Makes me feel pretty good about my set. --Jerry
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw, congrats on your set, I'm just jealous.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>btw, congrats on your set, I'm just jealous. >>

Thanks. And I'll fight to the death for your right to your opinion on First Strike!

--Jerry
  • Options
    Congrats! I would think PCGS would bring you a premium over the NGC set on eBay IMHO.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I would make the premium about 25 - 30 %.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do you cover up the serial numbers? I've seen other examples like this on other coins...I'm not getting the picture. >>

These 70's might find their way into a registry set if I didn't...there have been threads about cheaters. >>

Like that did any good. image One of them is 10997864. Want to know the rest?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I goofed on my price estimate.... did it for 20 coins, not 60!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why do you cover up the serial numbers? I've seen other examples like this on other coins...I'm not getting the picture. >> These 70's might find their way into a registry set if I didn't...there have been threads about cheaters. >>

Like that did any good. image One of them is 10997864. Want to know the rest? Russ, NCNE >>

Hmmm. Guess I shoulda covered the barcode too? I see a lot of coins with the numbers covered on ebay...guess they should cover the barcodes too also.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I goofed on my price estimate.... did it for 20 coins, not 60! >>

I'll still more than cover my costs. The NGC auction closed for over 3K and Bear is just trying to soften me up for a low offer. image He knows that NGC grades way more 70s than PCGS. Did I mention the Rev PR 70 is a pop 6 coin? --jerry
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess I shoulda covered the barcode too? >>

Nah, you should have covered the cert number on the MS69. Numbers on submissions are sequential, so it's easy enough to start with that one to find out the 70's.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I was beginning to think you could read zebra...have you met Dori? she speaks whale....
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats! I would think PCGS would bring you a premium over the NGC set on eBay IMHO. >>

Well if you want a ms70 you HAVE to get NGC or live with the 69 in PCGS

??????????????
  • Options
    Nice coins. Hell, I'd be happy just to have the ONE set I ordered but the U.S. Mint doesn't feel like shipping it to me. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, first strikes! image

the very first strikes, or AMONG the first strikes?

or are they just regular ole strikes, but the first mailed!

not even that? just AMONG the first mailed?

wow image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    i wonder what a 3 piece 70 set of just empty pcgs holders would sell for.. they are probably worth more then the coins.. talk about your value added grading propaganda.. hehehe
    when judgement day comes..
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, first strikes! image

the very first strikes, or AMONG the first strikes?

or are they just regular ole strikes, but the first mailed!

not even that? just AMONG the first mailed?

wow image >>

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    the united states mint.. the worlds most highly regarded and most respected of all the grading services in the universe employing the absolute finest world class graders ever to look at a coin.. a first strike designation.. a group of collectors looking to make a quick buck.. and a country full of hapless chumps on ebay.. the exact recipe to substantiate the theory that a fool and his money are soon parted.. got to love this hobby
    when judgement day comes..
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    classiccoin- you might be my clone.....image
  • Options
    Well I know that I just saw an auction for over $780 for a PR70DCAM Anniversary Silver Eagle Proof..not the reverse. It is first strike and part of the 20th anniversary set. That might help with valuing the set.
  • Options
    Man,

I am going through open shared orders and the number of 68s giving out by PCGS is really high. Seriously, seems a little crazy with these coins coming straight from the mint.

I am amazed at the prices these are going for given the quantity available. It looks ike $2500 for an all 70 set from NGC is the minimum. The downside is that PCGS won't grade an MS70 which is really making me regret sending in my ASE sets to them. I just sent in three more and am bummed that perhaps I should of sent over to NGC since I can't see a PCGS MS69 commanding MS70 NGC prices in the future.

Swest
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A PR DCAM-70 ASE first strike just went for $1838.

This is absolute madness. Thats for one coin, not the set.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Of the three types, isn't the RP70 the holy grail (at the moment)??
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    notwilight - Congrats on your fabulous "perfect" 20th Anniv. Silver Eagle set. The RP Silver Eagle is proving very difficult to grade out at PCGS - I have heard of a number of batches now where the grade through rate is as little as 10%-20% - and that is for achieving PR69 coins! The last batch I just picked up at PCGS of 25 RP Silver pieces yielded just 28% PR69 coins. Make no mistake about - your RP-70 is a BIG coin. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file