Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are "Blundered Edges" on early half cents rare?

marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
Manley's book references 3 examples for 1794 C-1a. All three examples stem from auction appearances in the nineties. I have come across one other example noted with the "blundered edge" in the Weber sale.

Are there others anyone is aware of? Other varieties within the series with blundered edges?

Perhaps this has proven to be more common with the C-1a varieties then Manley suggests with more surfacing since the publication of his book.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea, but TTT in hopes somebody can help...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Are "Blundered Edges" on early half cents rare?

Without question, they are rare. There are other varieties with edge blunders, but you could count all examples on your hand. Edge blunders on Cents of this period were more likely.
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    I've got one. Interestingly, it's also a 1794 C-1a. The edge reads: "hund...r a dollar". Here's a picture. Sorry I can't photo the edge. That's beyond my technologic capabilities. The coin is AU in terms of wear, but unfortunately has a lot chatter and micro pitting. I obtained it from a local dealer in 10/93. Not sure if it is one of the specimens you are referring to or a new one, as I don't know its prior provenance.

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    Very cool example Doctor Paper.. Dennis thanks for the clarity on this.

I recently was given first crack at a nice collection of half cents by a dealer friend of mine. The collection consisted of about 27 coins in nice middle to low collector grades.

I pulled three coins from the collection to add to my stash of half cents one being a 1794 c-1a in VG. It has been cleaned ( a bit bright in the centers on both sides)and has a few scratches on the reverse. I would call it an "average -" rather than scudzy. Not the most beautiful coin but hell, it's a 1794 half cent.

I was straddling the fence on this coin when I saw it as I was really wanting to hold out for something a bit more choice until I noticed the edge lettering error. It appears to have a blundered edge with the word "FOR" impressed over the "ED" in "HUNDRED". So it reads-

" Two HundrFor A Dollar"

You can see the E under the F fairly easy and faintly see the D.

I will try and get pictures of it this weekend...

The other two coins I picked up were an 1809 c-5 in VF35 EAC ( market grade XF45 maybe AU on a good day) and an 1849 in AU EAC (Market grade 58 maybe). Neither of which are tough coins but when they come along in unfestered condition and absent of pesky scratches you just have to snatch them up!

This was the first time I have been given the opportunity to have first crack at a collection- boy was it fun!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file