Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No image yet, but what do you think is up with this Lincoln?

I hope to have some sharp images of the entire coin and various of its error features by the end of the week. In the meantime, what do you error and coin-production experts think of this 1964-D Lincoln cent with a few "bonus" features.

On the obverse, there's an incuse and inverted "IBERTY" running between the 10:00 position and Lincoln's ear. At the 2:00 position (in front of Lincoln's forehead and through the "U" in "TRUST," there's an incuse and inverted "1971." There's also an incuse arc (close to the thickness of the rim of a cent, and certainly with the curvature of the circumference of a cent) that starts just above the "D" of "GOD" and runs not quite parallel to the rim of this 64-D down through the "B" of "LIBERTY." And Lincoln's head is squashed back into the surface of the coin a bit, with what appear to be jacket lapel indentations pressed across the "T" in "TRUST" and the space before it (1:00 position).

On the reverse, there's an almost matching rim-like indent, running from the edge beneath the "E" in "ONE" up through the middle of the first three letters of "UNITED." There's dramatic vertical doubling of the "N" and the "E" in "ONE"--with the tops of fainter doubled letters extending well over a sixteenth of an inch above the tops of the proper "ONE." Lincoln's shoulder and jacket from an obverse appear to be pressed into the space between "ONE CENT" and the bottom of the Lincoln Memorial steps. There's another incuse "BERTY" running vertically (and face down into the surface) from the lower edge through the "E" in "CENT." And the "C" in ""CENT" is dramatically horizontally doubled, offset enough to the right that the curve of the added "C" barely touches the ends of the proper "C." Finally, there is what appears to be double stamping of the left end of the middle section of Lincoln Memorial steps (with the urns, or whatever they are), with one striking normal and the other striking raised a good sixteenth of an inch on the left (like a sinking ship).

Probably some die clashing, right? Maybe some multiple hits by the dies, right? But how did the 1971 date get in there?

And if a 1971 cent got face to face with a 1964-D cent under great pressure, is there any way that the date of one could be incused into the surface of the other? Surely copper is soft enough that the relatively thin numerals on the normal raised date wouldn't be durable enough to stamp an incuse date into the surface of another cent, right?

As I work on getting you images, any thoughts on how this oddity came to be?

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thoughts would be how could a 64 and a 71 get to know each other so well without a little help????
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    I think that thought is entirely proper!

Could a slightly circulated 1964-cent get mixed up with some blank planchets being stamped in 1971? I'd guess so. But that doesn't explain the incuse nature of the foreign date.
    "Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet hammer!

get a photo for us.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>On the obverse, there's an incuse and inverted "IBERTY" running between the 10:00 position and Lincoln's ear. At the 2:00 position (in front of Lincoln's forehead and through the "U" in "TRUST," there's an incuse and inverted "1971." >>

You can stop at that point right there. Sounds like a classic example of put one coin on top of another and hit with hammer.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Incused and Backward".....

Unless those design elements are in a "crater",
    caused by a Brockage strike, I'm afraid, based on
    your nice, detailed description, that your coin's
    theme song is by Peter, Paul, and Mary.............

(for those of you under 50-55, that's
    "If I Had a Hammer")

If I had a hammer,
    I'd hammer in the morning;
    I'd hammer in the evening,
    All over the surface of this coin.......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file