Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cracking PRO and GEM Holders

I had a couple of overgraded PRO and GEM graded cards (55T Clemente and 53T Paige) I obtained in a big collection purchased last year. After asking on these boards about cracking those holders I was told that they were very difficult to crack without messing up the card. I put them in my TO DO pile and basically forgot about them as I didn't want to deal with the trouble of cracking and possibly damaging the cards.

Not wanting to invest in power tools just to get those cards out of their holders. I tried slipping a knife (too fat), razor blade (too flimsy) and screwdriver (also too fat) to pry the dam things apart. Was about to go to Home Depot and buy a dremel tool with the saw blades when I thought of one last thing. One poster had suggested using a hammer and chisel to take off the corners, then pry the slab open with the chisel.

Found a small chisel with a very sharp 1" edge and lined it up between the crack in the slabs. Without even using the hammer I got the chisel inserted ever so slightly at an angle and carefully pushed the top up and to my surprise the corners popped right up! The card didn't even flinch! Did the same with the GEM card with the same results. Measured the cards and they seem to be sized correctly, they were WAY overgraded. The Clemente has an outside chance at a PSA 5 (was PRO 9) and the Paige is no better than a PSA 3-4 (was GEM 8).

I'm sending them off to PSA, we'll see what happens.

Comments

• Options
    Let us know what they grade. I am curious as to how Pro grades hold up..........rob
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I was in a local shop today and they had a bunch of "ancient" pro holders. The cards looked accurately graded and there were some nice cards in them! I almost bought a USFL Reggie White card but decided to stick with my Emmitt set.

matt
  • Options
    I have a 75 Frank Robinson PRO 9 and a 75 Mike Schmidt PRO 8. The Robinson could be a 9 by any standards but it has been trimmed so obviously it's unreal. The top front of the card is at an obvious slant and when you turn it over it's even more obvious. The Schmidt that is graded an 8 may not have been trimmed but it's a PSA 6 at best. Its L/R centering on the front is about 70/30 but the back L/R is about 95/5. It has a vertical print line/smudge that runs the entire length of the card and is also out of focus. It has the corners of a 7 maybe. I have never measured any cards but the Robinson is so obvious I couldn't believe it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Results= trimmed and trimmed.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    1 attempt- PRO 7 became a PSA 6.
    Dodged a bullet.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, some people submitted unaltered cards to PRO because they heard PRO gave easy grades and they figured they could get more for the card in a PRO holder than raw (and back then, they were right).

I hope that's what you have.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Once upon a time, some people submitted unaltered cards to PRO because they heard PRO gave easy grades and they figured they could get more for the card in a PRO holder than raw (and back then, they were right).

I hope that's what you have.

Nick >>

PRO was the first company I submitted to way back when. All the cards I sent to them were unaltered and I would love to have some of them back. There was a 9.5 Dr. J rc that I think would have a shot at a PSA 9.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I own one PRO graded card.........59 Topps #10 Mantle PRO graded 9.....it's a beautiful card...but very trimmed.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>An experiment with PRO >>

Thanks Anthony, I briefly looked for that to post.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Interesting discussion. I've always been curious about the first graded card I ever bought, probably a little over 18 months ago. It's a 1985 Fleer Star Sticker of Kirby Puckett in a holder labeled "Premium Sports Grading" under a PSG logo on the gold-colored back.

I did a search (again) and couldn't come up with anything on this company. Has anyone heard of it? This may be desirable to someone collecting the really obscure card-grading companies!

FYI, I did find a webpage dedicated to some third-party grading companies at this link. I sent an email to the address given and it immediately bounced back as undeliverable...

• Options

<< <i>...in a holder labeled "Premium Sports Grading" under a PSG logo... >>

Where's Stone? He started a different PSG company. I think he called it "Pogo Stick Grading."

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...in a holder labeled "Premium Sports Grading" under a PSG logo... >>

Where's Stone? He started a different PSG company. I think he called it "Pogo Stick Grading."

image >>

Oh! You're right, zef! The light from my monitor was shining on the casing -- that's the name of the company -- Pogo Stick Grading!

Calling Stone193!!

• Options
    i agree i think they wil be both trimmed....why would any serious collector send to PRo unless they know they were trimmed, if the cards were truly perfect they would have been sent to psy
  • Options

<< <i>An experiment with PRO >>

Wow. That is remarkable. How can a business like that continue to exist? I have always been under the impression that PRO and GEM severely upgrades cards....and cards not blatantly trimmed likely get grades. But that experiment...especially the two obviously trimmed cards...shows how PRO and GEM go even beyond questionable grading practices. I dont mean to judge, but do these people even realize what they're doing when they're flooding crap trimmed cards like that in the market?

And its not like people dont buy this stuff. Unsuspecting collectors...on ebay and at card shows...buy these cards thinking they've got a pretty nice bargain.

An interesting experiment would be to trim 10 cards and see what percentage comes back graded. Do this for SGC, PSA, GAI, GEM, SCD and PRO and see what the rates are.

If you have the money and time, you can replicate this maybe 5 or 6 times to get bigger sample sizes.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I dont mean to judge, but do these people even realize what they're doing when they're flooding crap trimmed cards like that in the market? >>

They figure "hey Beckett does it, why cant we"?

matt

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submitted some great cards to Pro early. All were hand picked from packs and un altered. I wish now I woulda done the PSA thing but I didnt know any better then. I had a Jordan rookie sticker in a PRO 9 that crossed to a PSA 9. I still have a Shaq UD rookie #1 in a PRO 9.8 that might cross to a PSA 10, but it's a 9 for sure. AS far as buying anything in a PRO flip now, not with my money.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.