Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever earned/inherited/sold a house/etc. thereby obtaining a big pile of money and used some

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
............your new found cash to purchase coins for your collection?

If so, what did you splurge on and how much (i.e. a dollar figure or a percentage of the cash) did you use to acquire the coins? How did you decide on how much to spend?

In my work (primarily a real estate lawyer), I occasionally have collected a contingency fee. When I have obtained such a fee, I have on a couple of occasions purchased some coins, but at not more than a few hundred dollars per coin. For a few other more expensive acquisitions, I have saved up funds over time.

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    This is what is known in literary circles as the 'excessive premise'.
  • Options
    Yes----When I retired a couple of years ago, I sold a home----got out of debt---and treated myself to one expensive coin. It was a 1921S Walker in an NGC XF45 holder. It was wonderfully charcoal grey---totally original patination. Cost me several thousand bucks. Both my son and wife were there as I punched the Buy--It--Now buttons off of Ebay.

My son was screaming at his mom. "Dad is really going to do it" As I was performing the deed. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story supertooth, especially your son and wife watching you pull the trigger and your son screaming. I bet you have absolutely no regrets on the purchase either.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I didn't buy any coins that I recall.....I sold a house last year that I was given a good deal on by a family member that passed. I inherited a little bit of money from that person as well and used that to make some improvements on the house before selling it. Selling it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do....

I picked this nifty little trinket up and banked about 1/2 of the remainder and used the other 1/2 to basically redo our entire 15 year old house top to bottom. The trinket below has increased in price (new) several hundred dollars since I bought mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file