Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Shortages

Forget low mintage number coins.

Are there any coin series or coins that are suffering from shortages, not because there aren't a lot of existing coins but because they are all sitting in a collection somewhere?

Once I get a coin I think you have to consider it off the market. It's not going anywhere. I'm 44 and plan on living a while yet. Hopefully, someone in my family becomes custodian and keeps the coin. The other acceptable solution is to pay for college or something.

I keep thinking of a couple coins I have as an example. The Goodacre Presentation coin. 5000 of them. Less of them autographed. She's got 2500 which I assume she'll turn loose of someday. Maybe not. That means there are only 2500 of them. Mine makes one less. And I know I'm not the only one setting on one. Sure you can still get one relatively easy but I guess that after time goes by they will be less available. Going from always seeing one on eBay to only seeing one occassionally. Shortage someday.

Also the 95W 10th Anniversary Set. Not that many, 30K, and sets getting busted up for the key 95W Silver Eagle right and left. My set is off the market, hopefully for 30 years or so. Others do this I'm sure.

Of course I'm speculating but there have to be higher mint coins that have shortages. Oh, they are out there but people get them and don't let them go. Then when they do go it's one or two at a time.

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Dothead Kennedy Halves, Russ has them all!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SBA's and SAC's, the banks got em all !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    SBA's and SAC's, the banks got em all ! >>>>>>>>>

i got bored thursday evening so i went to the bank and bought $100 sacs and tried to cherrypick a cheerios. no luck but it was free fun.
  • Options

<< <i>SBA's and SAC's, the banks got em all ! >>>>>>>>>

i got bored thursday evening so i went to the bank and bought $100 sacs and tried to cherrypick a cheerios. no luck but it was free fun. >>

You've convinced me. I will be doing this tonight. image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys are livin on the edge !!!!!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    I'm way ahead of you on cherry picking the Cheerios Sac. I've got my sister funneling all 2000 sac's from her bank to me. So far I've been getting the short end of the deal. I search 'em and then give them to my daughter. She's going to get rich if I keep this up.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    John...there seems to be a shortage of 91.67% pure gold Sacagawea Dollars that were struck in 1999.

In 2001, Coin World reported that via a FOIA document request, the Mint had struck 39 examples of the 2000 Sacagawea Dollar in gold in June 1999 at the West Point Mint. The planchets came from specially prepared 1⁄2 oz. $25 American Gold Eagle Bullion Planchets. Why they were struck is not known; speculation is that this was an attempt by the mint to offer "Premium" collectibles in conjunction with the newly released Sacagawea Dollar in 2000.

Twenty-seven were soon melted and the remaining 12 were sent on the Space Shuttle Columbia in July of 1999. Two examples then popped up at two separate events; one during a Private Congressional Dinner in August 1999, and another example at the Official First-Strike ceremonies in November. The coins remained at Mint Headquarters under lock and key until they were transferred in 2001 to Fort Knox, where they are rumored to reside to this day. The strikes are considered to be illegal due to the Coinage regulations in place.

The dies for the Gold Proofs were prepared with Thomas D. Rogers, Sr.'s original reverse design featuring 12 tail feathers. Circulation strikes from other mints have 13 tail feathers. Two thousand Sacagawea dollar coins placed in cereal boxes to help promote the coins have been discovered recently to have the "Gold Dollar" reverse instead of the normal business strike design.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>John...there seems to be a shortage of 91.67% pure gold Sacagawea Dollars that were struck in 1999.

In 2001, Coin World reported that via a FOIA document request, the Mint had struck 39 examples of the 2000 Sacagawea Dollar in gold in June 1999 at the West Point Mint. The planchets came from specially prepared 1⁄2 oz. $25 American Gold Eagle Bullion Planchets. Why they were struck is not known; speculation is that this was an attempt by the mint to offer "Premium" collectibles in conjunction with the newly released Sacagawea Dollar in 2000.

Twenty-seven were soon melted and the remaining 12 were sent on the Space Shuttle Columbia in July of 1999. Two examples then popped up at two separate events; one during a Private Congressional Dinner in August 1999, and another example at the Official First-Strike ceremonies in November. The coins remained at Mint Headquarters under lock and key until they were transferred in 2001 to Fort Knox, where they are rumored to reside to this day. The strikes are considered to be illegal due to the Coinage regulations in place.

The dies for the Gold Proofs were prepared with Thomas D. Rogers, Sr.'s original reverse design featuring 12 tail feathers. Circulation strikes from other mints have 13 tail feathers. Two thousand Sacagawea dollar coins placed in cereal boxes to help promote the coins have been discovered recently to have the "Gold Dollar" reverse instead of the normal business strike design. >>

Actually, they were monetized, because they were (already) given to various (VIP) plp, a couple are in the hands of some plp at JSC. They're out there... but not so much with collectors. If memory serves me correctly, a board member has one.

They were created illegally at first... but then again so were a bunch of things. image ::cough cough:: [1933] ...that was a great pic. image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, they were monetized, because they were (already) given to various (VIP) plp, a couple are in the hands of some plp at JSC. >>

To the best of my knowledge NONE of the 2000-W gold Sacs were ever "given" to anyone and they are all still at Fort Knox. (I'm still wondering if any of the 2000-S business strikes will ever show up.)

I also want to know where all the 1796 draped bust cents are? The weight of the 1795's were not reduced until December of 95 giving us the plain edge cents, They made 501 thousand of them striking them both in 1795 and 1796. These struck 109 thousand 1796 caps and then switched to the draped bust in July. They then made 363 thousand draped bust cent. So they made three times as many draped bust, but at a typical show you will find between ten to twenty 96 caps for every 96 draped bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file