Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Uncirculated Business Strike

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it easy to tell a business strike coin from an uncirculated one that's made for collectors?

I just read the article "PCGS Certifies First Perfect Business Strike Cent" that says a MS70 grade is common for proof and satin finished coins but not business strikes. Is a business strike distinguishable just for pennies or for other denominations as well?

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Business strikes are uncirculated coins. You could get them in rolls from the bank or from Mint sets from the US Mint. The ones from the Mint are ususally not AS marked up as the ones from Bank rolls....oh yeah...

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    All business strike coins that have not been mishandled, used to buy a coffee, etc. are generally called "uncirculed" coins by collectors. A proof coin or a satin finish coin may not have ever been circulated, but most people would never call them "uncirculated."

Welcome to the board!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forums, Zoins!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Welcome,

The previous posters missed your question. Yes, one can tell the difference. But there isn't always a difference. In this case, I believe the Uncirculated coins "made for collectors" are what is referred to as SF of Satin Finish and they come from mint sets sold to collectors in the large plastic slab. Sormeone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was only the cent that was different?

Lots of people, including a friend of mine, looked at this coin and concluded that it was not SF.

--Jerry
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

I wonder how long it will take before something turns on that coin. I wouldn't want to be pcgs when that coin develops a spot or turns from RD to RB!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>I believe the Uncirculated coins "made for collectors" are what is referred to as SF of Satin Finish and they come from mint sets sold to collectors in the large plastic slab. >>

Mint sets have only been Satin Finish since 2005 (and may of them aren't really Satin Finish). Before 2005 the coins in the mint sets had the same finish as the coins made for your everyday pocket change. The coins for the mint sets usually are a little better struck with maybe not quite so many marks, but no you can't tell for sure whether a pre 2005 coin was made for circulation or for a mint set unless you remove it from the mint set yourself.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Welcome!

I wonder how long it will take before something turns on that coin. I wouldn't want to be pcgs when that coin develops a spot or turns from RD to RB! >>

Are you kidding? PCGS would likely gladly pay the downgrade difference in the future as it is great marketing right now and has got to be luring in so many submissions that they could buy it outright and be way ahead.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    image to the forum Zoins.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome,

The previous posters missed your question. Yes, one can tell the difference. But there isn't always a difference. In this case, I believe the Uncirculated coins "made for collectors" are what is referred to as SF of Satin Finish and they come from mint sets sold to collectors in the large plastic slab. Sormeone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was only the cent that was different?

Lots of people, including a friend of mine, looked at this coin and concluded that it was not SF.

--Jerry >>

All mint set coins since 1965 have been specially made is some respects.

They are struck by new dies under increased pressure on vertical presses. Coins are then
    washed and dried. These differences are not substantially different than regular run of the
    mill strikes simply because all these conditions can apply to them either intentionally or inad-
    vertantly as well. Hence mint set coins can not be considered distinct from other uncirculated
    coins. Even in years where other niceties are employed as well, such as basined dies for the
    '65 to '67 issues and the satin finish on the '05 to date coins there is no substantial difference
    which can be said to differentiate the coins. Mint set dies have historically been used to strike
    regular coins as well.

The satin finish is imparted to all denomination coins in the mint sets by merely chromium plat-
    ing the mint set dies, though it appears that the mint has taken other steps to raise quality
    as well.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam, I thought the Satin Finish was a result of a fine sandblasting of the die face similar to the method used for producing Proof Cameo coins?

Edited to add: But all the preparation and quality in production is totally meaningless when the packaging equipment scraps it all off. 2006 is a terrible year for SF Mint Sets. The number of scrapes on the obverse of the coins is simply apalling!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sam, I thought the Satin Finish was a result of a fine sandblasting of the die face similar to the method used for producing Proof Cameo coins?

Edited to add: But all the preparation and quality in production is totally meaningless when the packaging equipment scraps it all off. 2006 is a terrible year for SF Mint Sets. The number of scrapes on the obverse of the coins is simply apalling! >>

I haven't examined these closely yet but the mint has only stated that the dies are chromium plated.

Mint set quality varies dramatically from year to year, mint to mint, and denomination to denomination.
    Some specific coins are almost all ruined by packaging or related equipment. More than 99.5% of '80-D
    Kennedys have shallow scratches from this source for instance. An even higher percentage of '76 t I Ikes
    in the '75 mint sets were damaged, probably in the dryer.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file