Home PSA Set Registry Forum

3000 Hit Club - Precedence for Swapping Out Cards

I am currently working on the 3000 Hit Club set, and posted my recommendations at the time the set was being created. However, I am wondering if we may have err'd (perhaps for other sets too) when one considers that the 1948 Leaf Musial is now widely considered NOT his rookie card. If surveying the landscape, this thread from Net54 sums it up in my opinion:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1111790471/last-1111976792/1948+Leaf+question

First question, do most folks agree with this assessment of the 1948 (err 1949) Leaf?

Second question, is there precedence for swapping out a card that already exists in a set e.g., swap 1948 Bowman for 1949 Leaf Musial.

Lastly, should we do this for the 3000 Hit Club.

My recommendation would be to swap the Musial cards (1948 Bowman for 1949 Leaf). This would also make it consistent with the HOF Post War rookies set which claims the 1948 Bowman as Musial's rookie card. If we are truly aiming for rookie cards, and these sets have a distinct place on the Registry now, might we aim for better clarity and consistency? To bolster the argument, I had some angst going with Ripken's 1982 Topps Traded for this set, but upon reflection, both his regular 1982 Topps and 1982 Topps Traded were made available to the public in 1982. That stands in stark contrast to the 1948/49 Leaf which were not released to the public until 1949.

Don

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Don,

Musial's '48 Bowman card is the one used for the post-war HOF rookie card set:

HOF Rookies

You'll notice that a few cards in there have an "either, or" designation (such as Jackie Robinson), so I don't see why the same could not be made to apply to the 3,000 hits set. And, as far as the Ripken, the person who requested the set asked for the regular Topps issue to be used, and PSA inexplicably used the Traded instead. I ran a poll here a few months back asking which Ripken card ('82 Topps or '82 Topps Traded) should be used in the HOF rookies set, and about 85% of the voters - which were many - chose the regular issue. So maybe that "either, or" designation can also be made for the 3,000 hits set. Good luck.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Here's the Ripken poll thread...

Which Cal?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Andy, thanks for the insights.

I plan to ask PSA to swap the cards, but absent that go with your recommendation of "either/or".

Don
  • I was the one that submitted the checklist and weighting for the 3,000 Hit Club Set. When I submitted the checklist, I requested the 1949 Bowman. As was mentioned withthe Ripken, PSA switched it to the Leaf. I doubt they are going to change it unless they get a pretty big response to do so. Just my $0.02. image

Scott

BBCI Link
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Scott, thanks. I remember we added the 1948 Bowman to the set request and PSA did not go for it, but thought I would test the climate once again. I just e-mailed them to see if we can swap or at least do an either/or. We will see what happens...

Don
  • Cosetta just informed me they added the 1948 Bowman as an either/or with the 1948/9 Leaf. Thanks Cosetta.

Don
  • Boy, I really wish they could do the same for the Ripken. It's great to see other fans of the 3000 hit club though. I used to have a bunch more from the set but I'm slowly building mine back!

I submitted Beltre (1997 Bowman Chrome) for the set after he got his 3,000th hit. PSA is apparently way behind in set updates.