Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you purchase/sell more on the BST board if...

sellers/buyers were assigned a rating score or feedback score like ebay?

CU boards have the ability to allow others rate your messages, so to use a similar tool for transactions would be a fairly easy enhancement.

I am familiar with the “Circle of Trust” but this would be an improvement.

Sorry in advance if this should be on the BST board.

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I dont even trust my own mother

and I happen to love her. I believe in the

cicle of suspicion.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " sellers/buyers were assigned a rating score or feedback score like ebay?"

Nope, that's not the issue for me. I can usually buy the same items on ebay for less; that's the issue.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>" sellers/buyers were assigned a rating score or feedback score like ebay?"

Nope, that's not the issue for me. I can usually buy the same items on ebay for less; that's the issue. >>

I can appreciate better buying prices on ebay, but the ebay/PayPal fees need to be considered on the selling side.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I used to buy and sell a lot of stuff on an astronomy board called Astromart. Then a guy with a Napoleon complex started running it and you have to suck up to him to be a member. But it has a simple rating system that worked great. It doesn't turn into an e-bay since retailers aren't allowed. --Jerry
  • Options
    I don't think they should get involved in ratings.

TTT
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    no

if pcgs can barely handle the open forums and then they had to close it due to many things we will not get into here

no way in hell will they ever have some sort of bullsh*t feedback thing

this buy sell trade fourms are for members use at their own discretion only and pcgs takes a hands off disinterested third party role which is the right thing to do as pcgs is not in the business of indemifying/guaranteing buyers and sellers

it takes years of getting to know who is who and then through natural collecting progression you find out in the coin game who is good and who is not and how to conduct yourself with those you wish to do biz with that you really do not trust it is just not a simple thing to get into coins and expect to have instant easy coin dealings in this coin game it is a process just like going to school does not take a year to finish an advanced degree
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah...what he said!!!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the feedback option on eBay. It isn't perfect, but it's useful.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the online game trading sites I use to go to had an add-in module to Fuse-Talk called "Trusted Trader". Basically after a good trade offline in the gaming world, you rated the trade partner. It's flaw was a bunch of unscrupulous people could jack up each others trusted trader score. It may point out who is the more experienced, and give a general idea, but on this board, I have that general idea already. I don't think it would influence much for me honestly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't foregone any purchases on the BST forum due to lack of trust.
  • Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    I alway's ask for reference if I spending more than a few hundred. Works well for me. Like Michael said, PCGS can take the responsibility, that's research we have to do.
  • Options
    I would spend more time on the BST board if it were only used for coins on the boards. I don't like swimming through the ebay listings.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the BST works pretty well the way it is. i would not change it in the manner you are describing.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    nope. would'nt affect my bst activity 1 iota

K S
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I believe that the word of mouth feedback provided by CU forum members, while far from perfect, is still much more reliable than any type of Ebay feedback/rating system.
  • Options

<< <i> I would spend more time on the BST board if it were only used for coins on the boards. I don't like swimming through the ebay listings. >>

I agree completely. This is the primary reason I don't use the BST more. If I wanted to look through ebay listings I'd go to ebay.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    No wouldn't matter to me. I still skim through it but like others have said its too full of ebay listings and unrealistic price expectations. Its almost embarrasing some of the prices asked, like we aren't sort of educated here. I also find the lack of a sale price irritating. Hello I've got something for sale but I won't publish the the asking price. To me that means one of two things, the seller doesn't know what they coin is worth or they are asking too much. Photos would be helpful also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file