Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does Roger Craig belong in the HOF?

All,

I was going through the preliminary list of the 2007 NFL HOF candidates and saw Roger Craig's name. I was looking through his lifetime stats, and was curious as to why he hasn't been elected to the HOF. He surpassed 2,000 twice in his career, owned the record for the most receptions in a season by a RB, was the first RB to amass 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season (which has only been matched by Marshall Faulk), and his post-season stats are respectible. Granted, he has less than 10,000 yards and 80 TD's, but I think he is worthly of a serious look by the HOF voters. What do others think? Should be be in the hall of fame?

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    one heck of a utility running back, but he's a just miss to me. it really was fun to watch those 49'er teams, Craig, Rathman, Brent Jones, John Taylor, and of course Montana and Rice.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I think Roger Craig, the baseball manager, has a better chance of making the hof than Roger Craig the football player! image
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    I loved watching Roger Craig play - the way he raised his knees so high when he ran with authority through defenders. He was a damn good player, but he only had 3, maybe 4 dominant seasons. And the lifetime stats just aren't there. So I say no. BUT, the NFL simply adores the guys with the Super Bowl rings, and Mr. Craig has three. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is filled with players who got there on their post season accolades, not what they did during the regular season. Lynn Swann is a perfect example.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Not even a consideration. In my mind anyway. Craig was a product of the team being so successful
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    mos def he does.

good guy, good teammate, worked hard, played fair and played hurt!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I like him but I too think he will be on the outside looking in. Hard to include him in a list from "his era" of Payton, Dickerson, Smith, Sanders, Thomas, Faulk. He wasnt the cog the that drove the train so to speak.

If he goes in why not Sterling Sharpe then. He was a dominat player for 3-4 year, career ending injury so could have been much longer with Favre. Established the new seasonal stats for WR's to obtain in terms of yearly catchs of +110 on a consistent basis. Teams would roll coverage too him but he still got all his touches through the air. As much as I liked him I dont think he deserves it based on shortend career, but then again that didnt stop Sayers from getting in. Not to put them in the same category (I never saw Sayers play) but you may be able to compare the two based on career ending injuries.

I can see putting someone in that doesnt have the huge numbers but was key in chaning the way the position is played in the game, or the qualities that people look to have in the position. Think about how At-water(the boards wont let me spell his name correctly) and Butler changed the way people think of safety play. Now players for that position have to be able to cover with ints, hit in the run game and blitz.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The Football Hall of Fame will never be complete until Craig and Rice both join Walsh, Montana, Lott, and Young in Canton.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • I thought you meant the pitcher.....
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Hey, you have to be good to lose 20 games in a season. image

Seriously, I think he falls in the "near-Hall" category, where he probably won't make it, but it wouldn't be an embarrassment if he did.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.