Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Grading Update - T206 Back Designations Available

PSA Grading Update
T206 Back Designations Available
After receiving a great deal of feedback from collectors and dealers, PSA has decided to make a labeling modification to all T206 baseball cards submitted from this day forward.

PSA will now designate the backs for all T206’s submitted for grading. For example, the top line on the PSA label may read:

T206 Sweet Caporal or T206 Polar Bear

There are several back variations on this issue.

From November 1st through the end of the year (2006), PSA will offer a re-holder/re-labeling special for T206’s for only $3 per card.

We hope this new labeling feature is enjoyed by collectors and dealers alike.

Please keep in mind that the PSA Population Report will be undergoing changes with respect to newly-labeled T206’s versus T206’s graded prior to the new labeling approach. Until previously graded T206’s are received for re-label, they will remain in the PSA Population Report without the specific back designation.

Please contact customer service if you have any questions.

Carol

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Carol, thats great news.
    How extensive will the back listings be?
    Piedmont, Sweet Cap and the rest have variations based on subjects & factory designations...jay
  • Options
    If you are referring to the variety such as pitching, catching and portrait, etc. will still be on the flip.

The part of the question that stumped us was the reference to factory. If my answer above is not complete for your question, please give me examples that I can ask about.
    I will be in the office today and half day tomorrow so any questions asked after that, or I can't get an immediate answer for, will need to wait until I return from Boston or you can contact customer service directly.

Carol
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Carol:

What Jay was referring to was the Series and the Factory Number.

For example, I'll choose the Mickey Doolan batting card, as my focus of Expertise is the Phillies from the T-206 set. Although saying "T-206 Sweet Caporal" for a Mickey Doolan batting card is indeed more information, there are actually six "Different" Sweet Caporal T-206 cards on which Mickey Doolan is pictured.
      Series of 350, Factory 25
        Series of 350, Factory 30
          Series of 350-460, Factory 25
            Series of 350-460, Factory 30
              Series of 350-460, Factory 42
                Series of 350-460, Factory 42 with the overprint bar.

There are three additional Series of 150 Sweet Caporal backs that may exist for certain players, too.

Carol - not sure you want to get this granular, but if you go to the following webpage:
                Located Here

You can see the back variations for each of the Sweet Caporal backs.

Obviously, if more information could be put on the flip, it would be a great benefit to collectors.

Sincerely,
                Marc

marc.schoenen@ge.com
                I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
              • Options
                Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm requesting additional information from our Spec Dept. and will post something when I get the answer.

Carol
              • Options
                I'm told that we are not going to got in to that much depth, just the Co. Name.

Carol

• Options
                Carol,
                Great move by PSA ! The collectors voice is again heard. Back designations are of premium importance on the T-206 label.

Jay's question is of high value. Adding Brand to the holder puts PSA back in line with competitive holders on description. Adding Series and Factory however would make them an industry leader on this issue.
                Extra work and care would be needed to do it right but it would be heartily embraced by T-206 collectors.

I'm not really sure how to react to the $3 reholdering/relabeling fee special.
                On one hand this is well below the standard $5 fee, but for someone who already has 215 different T-206 cards in holders this represents a $645 outlay. I can't see myself jumping at that.
                Thanks though, for sure.
                Look forward to seeing my next lot graded with the new holders.
                RayB
                Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
              • Options
                Never say never, anything is possible in the future, you may get your detail on the label some day.

• Options
                mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
                Ray-

For better or worse, clearly the value in re-holdering is in any non-standard holders. Broadleaf, Cycle, EPDG, Hindu, Carolina Brights, etc.-

~ms
                I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
              • Options
                NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
                Carol - thank you, thank you, thank you. image

Nick
                Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
              • Options

<< <i>Carol - thank you, thank you, thank you. image

Nick >>

I wish I could take credit but I'm just the messenger. I'll let Joe know you're happy with the change (minus the other details you’re looking for)

Carol
              • Options
                SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
                Great news Carol...Thank You (and to the people who actually made the decisionimage ) imageimage

Please add me to the list of folks who would also like to see Series IDs on the holders, i.e. "Series of 150", "Series of 350" or "Series of 350-460".

Steve
              • Options
                GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
                I think this is great, but agree that the factory designations should be on there as well.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
                RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is great, but agree that the factory designations should be on there as well. >>

I agree, I wonder if they will do this with the t205's as well image
              • Options
                jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
                Carol,

We all thank you for being the voice of PSA on the boards.

Jay
                Packers Fan for Life
                Collecting:
                Brett Favre Master Set
                Favre Ticket Stubs
                Favre TD Reciever Autos
                Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
                Football HOF Rc's
              • Options
                yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
                Awesome! Maybe PSA will actually start looking at the backs when grading and labeling cards.
                imageimageimageimageimageimage
              • Options
                I think this is a good idea by PSA, but after waiting a few years for this, I do not think I would ever consider resubmitting my T206s for relabeling. I would hope the decision-making process for some common sense improvements occur more quickly in the future.
                Gold Coins
                Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
                e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com