Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS CS is REALLY MESSED UP ! - UPDATE

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH PCGS CS and let me tell you!............WHEW!
I could tell right away he was in some way "new."

FIRST ISSUE.....
Submitting a platinum proof coin purchased immediately upon release from the Mint.
Theoretically, it should qualify as a FIRST STRIKE! But CS Rep says NO WAY because I did not
ship it to them within 30 days for grading services even though the Mint Postmark date is a first issue coin.

SECOND ISSUE.....
So then....I asked what I needed to put on the form for THIS YEAR's platinum
"10th ANNIVERSARY" Special Insert for the holder. CS told me they are ONLY LABELING
2005 Platinum coins as 10th Ann.! WHAAAAAT? I informed him last year was the 9th Ann.
for the plats and he requested proof that the 2006 Plats were "10th Ann." So....I directed him
to 4 Plat Proof Ebay auctions that show PCGS Plats with "10th Ann." inserts. CS goes and speaks
with the "label expert"! Then proceeds to tell me their "inside" guy says that the PCGS 10th Ann. Plats
on Ebay were probably PHOTOSHOPPED! He also tells me that the U.S. Mint HAD a special "THING"
going on this year for 10th Ann. plats so those Ebay auctions could not be real PCGS Coins!!!

THIS SELLER HAS 4 DIFFERENT PCGS 10th Ann. Plat. Auctions

HE STILL INSISTS.....that PCGS IS ONLY LABELING 2005 PLATS AS 10th ANNIVERSARY!
So I have a 2006 Platinum Proof that's neither First Strike nor 10th Ann.!
It only qualifies for designation as the "plain generic label" type.

CONCLUSION BASED ON CS.................

Ship your First Strikes POSTMARKED TO PCGS BEFORE PCGS' CUTOFF DATES!
(within 30 days of Mint's first release of coins)

If you hold onto your "First Strike" sealed packages.....they WILL NOT LABEL THEM FIRST STRIKE
if you send them in AFTER the PCGS cutoff dates!

Also, you'd be lucky to even get a "20th ANNIVERSARY" insert!
Aren't they only placing those on the 19th Year Eagles???????

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Also, you'd be lucky to even get a "20th ANNIVERSARY" insert!
    Aren't they only placing those on the 19th Year Eagles??????? >>

No 21st year eagles. image
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Looks like the Mint CS and PCGS CS are equals. Maybe the phone call goes to the same place and they answer based on what number you dialed. image

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    You're right! CS Messed up.

I have said it before and I will say it again until someone corrects me. PCGS started their First Strike Program in 2005 yet there are 1991 First Strike (and labeled as such) Silver American Eagle slabs out there so this baloney about shipping within 30 days of release to PCGS is pure uninformed speculation on the CS Reps part. Either that or he/she is not asking the right questions of his/her superiors.

imageimageimage
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it is quite common for the CS reps to give out incorrect information on a variety of topics.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Just spoke with Laura at PCGS.

I DO qualify for the 2006 Platinum "10th Anniversary" label if I decide that's
    what I want. The labels ARE for the 2006 plats! She even instructed me what to
    write on the submission form.

Finally! A clear answer!
    SHEESH!
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Laura usually gets it pretty close to the real deal/nitty gritty straight info.
  • Options
    Actually... I believe PCGS did put out "10th Anniversary" slabs last year, though there weren't too many, but I seem to remember a Plat set slabbed as such for 2005...

Edited to add: Just looked around eBay... was 20th Anniversary ASEs... eBay Link to ASE

eBay Link to AGE

Heres a great one of a Platinum "20th" anniversary
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    How horrible! 1997 was the very first year plats were produced by the Mint!
    That makes 2005 the 9th year! What a major mistake! LOL.

EDITED TO ADD: OH! You're talking about SAE!
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the IRS.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file