Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do you adjust Ebay auction ending times for certain countries?

For instance, if you feel a particular European country will have a lot of auction-ending bid action, will you end at 5:00 EST US to allow their sniping or last minute bids and still let them get a good nights sleep?

Several times I've found that coins with a particular geographical interest attract winning bids at around 9 or 10 PM (their time) and then sit fallow (our time for 5 or 6 hours or more, depending on location of bidder) until the auction ends with their early bids successful.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would want to sit up until the wee hours of the early morning to bid on something I might find 2 months hence...

So far I refer to Western Europe, but setting up for points Eastern Europe and further east...

Merci beaucoup les gars!image

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    So many people use a sniping service, that if an item is popular, the ending time doesn't seem to matter.

But, I do try for around 9pm EST for most of my auctions.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you adjust Ebay auction ending times for certain countries?

Yes I do. Even though I agree with JZ, there's a minority that doesn't know or doesn't want to use sniping programs, so I try to adjust timing to suit the two primary markets, that is the US and the coin's country of origin.

If it's a Greek coin for instance, I'll try to have it ending at around 8pm local time, that's 1pm in NY and 10am in LA,so pretty much everybody's awake. With Asian coins it can get trickier.

Also, as I recently found out, there are still lots of bidders outside the US that do not own a home PC and therefore they can only bid from work, they won't bother going to an internet cafe for this. As a consequence, I've started using Mondays instead of Sundays, but things become more complicated because I can no longer have the item end at 8pm, most people leave their work by 4-5 pm. So, if I choose to end it on a Monday morning, 9 am local, that's Sunday night 11pm in LA but 2am in NY.You just can't please everybody all the time.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3