Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1969s double die lincoln PROOF!?

I found this very interesting penny in my proof set. Since it is still in holder, it is very difficult to veiw with my QX5. Seems to have definite notching1969 S Proof Doubled Die Lincoln.
imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    cool!
    DENNIS HOUGARD
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Modern Crap!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That appears to be mechanical doubling, and is common. There is only one doubled die known for 1969 proofs, and that is a doubled die reverse.
    Doug
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah Yes. But was it mechanical on the first strike or the second strike??
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    what accounts for the distinct notching on the D and G? rather than just a slide? I have mech doubled 69's unc but this does not look like any that I've seen. does 1st or second strike create this appearaance?
    Bobby
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could that be worn die issue? Almost like Longacre doubling?
  • Options
    I agree it looks like mechanical doubling to me too.

That is a very nice clear macro image! Good job.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what accounts for the distinct notching on the D and G? rather than just a slide? I have mech doubled 69's unc but this does not look like any that I've seen. does 1st or second strike create this appearaance?
    Bobby >>

Look at the recent thread where there are five test coins for you to guess which are doubled. Mechanical doubling on proofs does not look exactly like mechanical doubling on business strikes.
    Doug
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    BobbyDees,oldhougie

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>Could that be worn die issue? Almost like Longacre doubling? >>

Longacre doubling is not caused by die wear. Longacre doubling is seen on new dies and fades as the die wears.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything that looks like notching except on the "D", and this isn't clear notching either.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file