Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some BGS 9.5 Slabs sold for less than raw

Wishing I never started this thread. Some chuckles, sarcasm, and criticism were warrented but some folks simply cannot let it down.
"One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt

Comments

• Options
    Very simple explanation.....BGS slabbs trimmed cards from the same sellers over and over, and people know this.......the only BGS stuff i buy is in the OLD slabbs with grades on the back, when the company was still run by DR james Beckett...when they were bought out, profit margins came first and the stuff the slabb is garbage now..... I try not to buy any BGS slabbs with 400000 level serial numbers to protect from trimmed cards

its only a matter of time (a few years only) before PSA becomes more popular/ dominant in modern cards as they are in vintage.....as a one time big-time BGS collector, i have been very diasspointed by them in recent years....the more diasspointed i get with BGS though, the more happy i am with PSA!
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    What is your eBay ID so I can avoid it????
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options

<< <i>fandango, I'll have to try some PSA subs with the modern stuff and compare results. One must go where the money follows. halosfan, won't take much effort to answer your question. One less bidder when there are zero isn't going to make a difference. eBay has killed so much of my time for what little return I get that I'm tempted to sell just about every card I own, start from mainly scratch, and and go back to the old days when I'd grab a few cards at local shows and keep it as a hobby only... after which case my user id would be irrelevent. Yep, I screwed up the list price and paid the venue twice for it. The other guy is out nothing minus the two seconds to hit the bid button. This used to be advertised as a legal (if shady) manuver but not sure it still is. >>

i have sent in numerous BGS slabbs to crossover to PSA, and its amazing how many come back trimmed! It makes me furious that i could be purchasing cards that are deemed trimmed, yet are in BGS holders.....not to mention i lose the grading fee, shipping and insurance, and my card comes back still in a BGS holder..YUCK
  • Options

<< <i>What is your eBay ID so I can avoid it???? >>

i buy to collect, i dont resell
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    not to sidetrack the thread ... BUT nice Pujols set you have going there fandango!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    f2tornado - " had a Joe Mauer rookie insert which has been going for about $15 recently fetch $11"

So why is that a problem? $11....$15......not much difference there.

If $4 makes or breaks you....you are in the wrong business.

As for trying to make money buying raw recent stuff, slabbing it and hoping for 10's.... Good luck.

You'll go broke real fast.
  • Options
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You mean a very cherry Roger Clemens rookie (okay, not really his rookie; that's his 1984 Fleer Update) like that one is in a bargin bin along with obscure singles/inserts and such? I find that hard to believe. What's next, Upper Deck Griffey rookies in a bargin bin? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Fandango, this has nothing to do with a PSA VS BGS thing.. it has to do with ebay being very slow on certain items in auction style. Auctions for the most part, have been slower then ever this past month, unless you are selling something rare or very hot.... BTw, you keep complaing about BGS, yet you have failed to adress the point i made about all of the sellers using both BGS and PSA... Do you really think its a one way street???
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is your eBay ID so I can avoid it???? >>

i buy to collect, i dont resell >>

I think he meant the other guy. The shill.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You mean a very cherry Roger Clemens rookie (okay, not really his rookie; that's his 1984 Fleer Update) like that one is in a bargin bin along with obscure singles/inserts and such? I find that hard to believe. What's next, Upper Deck Griffey rookies in a bargin bin? image >>

I really did get that Clemens in a 60% off bargain bin at a local show Saturday. This kind of thing happens when dealers get tunnel vision with all the new chrome crud out there. Yes Virgina, good raw can still be found since not all dealers mess with slabs.
  • Options
    Hey BILLYRIPKEN....do you have this adult error and corrected version of Paul Gibson 1989 Score....looks like white out!!
  • Options
    Yep sure do. Classic. For other similar "adult"error cards see my ebay group. Adult Sport Error Cards
    imageimageimage