Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 Proof cent

I purchased this cent awhile back. This is the first that I have had time to really take a look at it. It is in an older PCGS holder marked as Proof 64 Red. The problem? I have noticed several spots of green, both on the front and back. These spots appear to be eating into the surface of the coin. PVC, corrosion? This is a coin that has been in the holder for many years, will PCGS stand behind this or has it been too long?
Thanks in advance for the responses,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo(s)?
  • Options
    ZugZug Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I will try to get some up tomorrow night. I have to leave for work shortly.
    Jeff
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

green spots are verdigris which is corrosion.A 1938 in Proof 64 is a $50 coin
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Lots of things called old wives tales as to the green discoloration on copper coins. Some think it is PVC, some Vedigris, others think it's just about anything except what it is. First of all it will never be PVC. That compound is just to stable at normal conditions. Melting point is 212C (413.6F) which is just to high for any possible coin contamination. What is happening to your coin is in reality is it has now become exposed to normal air somehow. Copper is a highly reactive metal and it first becomes attacked by plain old Oxygen (O). This becomes (Cu2O). Then just plain old moisture HOH (H2O) + Carbon Dioxide (CO2) attack the Cu2O to form a greenish substance called Copper Carbonate [CuCO3-Cu(OH)2]. Now if you live in an area where the is Surfuric type emissions in the air such as a place where a power plant or steel mill may be burning Sulfur rich coal, there may even be a further reaction on the Copper coin with the SO or SO2 in the air.
    Regardless, the coins value is about $60 to $80 so if there would be a charge for reslabbing the coin, it may not be worth the cost. If, however, PCGS backs up thier slabs, it may be free except for the postage.
    Carl
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a coin that has been in the holder for many years, will PCGS stand behind this or has it been too long?

It's my understanding they stand behind their guarentee as long as the coin is in their holder.

The problem is that on a coin of that value, you're probably better off selling the coin as a problem coin than going through the trouble and expence (postage/insurance, and risk of them not downgrading/body bagging it) of going through the regrade evalueation.

-David
  • Options
    Finally was able to get some pictures up. Please go here to see the penny.

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/jcoct2498/

Thanks
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    from what you show in the pics, it's a gonner, already eaten into the surface...too badimage

I may be wrong though...ya never know.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I believe (but can't promise that) PCGS would honor their guarantee if you submit the coin to them and ask them to compensate you fairly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, and comments.
    Jeff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file