Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Rod Smith a HOFer?

He just passed Largent on the all-time reception list. Never really thought of him as a HOFer but he deserves strong consideration now.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    ive always thought of him as a HOFer, just cause hes always been consistently great...he just got everything done so quietly that he just slide under the radar i think...at the end of his long career i think he deserves to get in and hope does!
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I'd say no, simply from the standpoint he never dominated.

3 top 5 finishes in receptions, 2 top 5 finishes in receiving yards. He's had a great career, but not hall worthy IMHO.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Axtell on this one on the point that he never really dominated or was ever on the tip of anyones toungue when the conversation of best recievers in the league goes

But on the other hand there are tons of players in the Hall for whatever sport that never dominated their sport i.e Don Sutton , Joe Dumars

Dave
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I tend to agree with Axtell on this one on the point that he never really dominated or was ever on the tip of anyones toungue when the conversation of best recievers in the league goes

But on the other hand there are tons of players in the Hall for whatever sport that never dominated their sport i.e Don Sutton , Joe Dumars

Dave >>

I too agree. Drew Bledsoe is 7th on the all time passing yds list and I don't think he's a HOFer. The game has changed. Guys now typically have much more longevitiy than guys in the past and can rack up stats. But, unless they were dominant I don't think they are deserving of the Hall.

Others that are high on lists I don't think will make the Hall:

Vinnie Testeverde - 6th all time passing yds
    Dave Krieg - 11th all time passing yds
    K McCardell - 9th all time rec list
    Larry Centers - 11th all time rec list, ahead of Rod Smith
    Rickey Watters - 16th all time rush yds
    Eddie George - 17th all time rush yds

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't say he was or is great, he has been a very good receiver and should not be considered a Hall of Fame player in my opinion.
  • Options
    Smith is in the Art Monk category. I've always thought of him as a very good WR, but not a guy that should be enshrined.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    When Art Monk retired he was the all time leader in receptions.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Monk should be in the hall...Smith should not.