Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaning US Proof Set CASE

I have a 1978 US Proof Set that was displayed in a bedroom for several years and subjected to hair spray overspray and who knows what else.

What would be the best product or method to get the outside of the case clean without risking damage to the coins?
I pick things up
I am a collector
And things, well things
They tend to accumulate

Comments

• Options
    Hairspray will normally dissolve in rubbing alcohol. Do not spray the alcohol on the holder though, if their a re cracks or gaps in the seams the alcohol make get drawn inside the case. Dampen a cloth or paper towel and use that to gently clean the hairspray off. It may take several cleanings. I don't believe the alcohol will harm the plastic. (acetone would also clean the hairspray off and might do it more quickly but it is also more likely to damage the plastic.)
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Goo Gone...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    My glasses have plastic lenses and I always get hairspray on them. I just wash them under a faucet with liquid dish soap and they come out sparkling. Alcohol will haze plastic so I wouldn't use it.
  • Options
    maybe ........

---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    -Maybe- the Magic Eraser would work, but I don't think abrasives and coins should ever be left alone in a room together. So I vote no on principle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file