Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1968 Topps #224 Jack Aker - strange card

As I start to collect this set and look past that awful waffle pattern, there are some pretty good shots in this set. This one is weird though. The team cap is airbrushed, in spite of the fact that he was with the A's since at least '66. The background is weird too. It looks like the church that Frank Lovejoy pulled GC Alexander (Ronald Reagan) out of at the beginning of the movie The Winning Team.

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    I like odd backgrounds like that. My favorite is one from the 1973 set - I don't remember which one, but you can't even tell which player in the picture is the one that's supposed to be on the card... plus there's several cars parked in the background.
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Topps reused or used past seasons pictures. This is probably when he was with the Kansas City Athletics. The KC on hat was airbrushed out.
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    bak428bak428 Posts: 49 ✭✭
    If the scan shows up......

This should be the card joemaggio is refering to. #627 luis Alvarado,

I like this shot with the cars in the background
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Some of the images don't show up anymore, but here's a thread on backgrounds from earlier this year... and I remember the '68 Aker "back yard" shot started off that one, too.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I remember the Aker card from when I was younger. I had always thought it was a spring training bunkhouse or something.