Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Newp 1834 Large Cent. Worth the risk or bonehead buy?

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
found this on ebay this afternoon. paid $50 for it. pics are pretty poor. what are your opinions on the dark brown areas? is it the just coin turning from red to red brown to brown? is it corrosion? if its something on the coin is there anything i can try to get it off once it arrives? should i try NCS? was it worth the $50 risk or should i have left it alone?

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That don't look like its going to want to just come off too easily.
    I would think that if it was easily correctable--it would have been corrected.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

For fifty bones,you did ok.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Judging by the pics... Looks like it went from Red to Brown to cleaned/dipped, and has started to rather unattractively retone. Not a high grade piece and not a purchase I would have made...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    my opinion is , cleaned perhaps harshly and atempt to recolor the high spots so it apears that it is red with brown, The image is not too good so hopefully the coin is better then I suspect.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's a badly cleaned & horribly recolored vf coin. it's worth about what you paid for it - maybe

K S
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Karl...I'm not seeing a whole lot of detail in the hair. It looks to be a cleaned VF coin...hopefully not too harshly cleaned. I think you could have done a lot worse for $50 these days. Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file