Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

0 feedback with huge list of killer coins??? Real story?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
linky

edited to add: I can't belive people fall for this kind of "smash and grab" robbery style auction

Comments

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    He recently got into dealing and is a savvy buyer.image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He recently got into dealing and is a savvy buyer.

Rick - He says the coins are part of his dealer/father's estate. Why would you doubt him? I sent him a message...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i> He recently got into dealing and is a savvy buyer.

Rick - He says the coins are part of his dealer/father's estate. Why would you doubt him? I sent him a message... >>

I didn't say I doubted him. I believe every word every seller on eBay writes.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS AN ESTATE SALE SORRY NO PAYPAL

What does this mean? Is there some sort of e-bay/pay-pal rule that estates sales through them are void?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Look at the bright side , they are paying for insurance on the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't say I doubted him. I believe every word every seller on eBay writes. >>

These "260 Morgan dollars" look more like "259 Morgans and 1 Peace dollar." Other than that I trust him completely.

• Options
    It's a pretty easy fraud to uncover. Here is where he got his 1877 cent pictures. 1877 cent link
    I'm sure you could find where most of the other pictures have been lifted from with a little detective work. Only a fool would bid on his items.
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either you will get ripped off or you will get the rip of the year. My guess would be the former.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't say I doubted him. I believe every word every seller on eBay writes. >>

These "260 Morgan dollars" look more like "259 Morgans and 1 Peace dollar." Other than that I trust him completely.

image >>

imageimage free with each pile of Silver Dollars
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>It's a pretty easy fraud to uncover. Here is where he got his 1877 cent pictures. 1877 cent link
    I'm sure you could find where most of the other pictures have been lifted from with a little detective work. Only a fool would bid on his items. >>

yup, same exact coin no doubt. I emailed the high bidder to inform him, as well as the seller to inform him that we are on to his scam.

Doug
  • Options
    Just found the original source of his 16-D picture as well.
    Item number: 150043677241 Here is the link:

stolen 1916-D pic

I'm not trying to be a coin cop, but it is fun to spend 15 minutes on this hunt and wipe out an entire afternoon of work by this scammer. image
  • Options
    I did even better...I tracked him down sitting in his office!

Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    people like this give honest ebay sellers a bad name
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    WoodenJefferson---

What the heck is that pic about really?
  • Options

<< <i>WoodenJefferson---

What the heck is that pic about really? >>

image Just a guy in his open air office...plugged into the light pole, surfin the web!

I spent 50% of time goofing around, the other 50% serious collector of US Coins...there is a fine line when it comes to balancing that.
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    He sounds to me like smoeone whos father owned/ran a coin store; has passed and the son who has not interest in the coins is selling them. I don't see anything wrong with his listings or his prices and as for 0 feedback everyone has to start smoewhere!

I had 0 feedback until I made my first eBay transaction also not a great mystery!
  • Options
    the seller is lifting others auction pics!image
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    <<These "260 Morgan dollars" look more like "259 Morgans and 1 Peace dollar." Other than that I trust him completely.>>

Maybe thats the ultra rare 1921 Morgan with a Peace reverse image
  • Options
    Yeah, I emailed him. I accidently left my email address on there. Hopefully he doesn't seek revenge.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    <<the seller is lifting others auction pics!image>>

Maybe, like me, he hasn't figured out how to take decent pictures of his own! image
  • Options
    He is putting up new items every 15 minutes or so... Here was his reply to me--

iam a new member but iam sure in a few weeks the feedback will show
    a better light on me.so if feel uncomfortable
    with bidding give it some time iam sure in the future you will change your mind and you might find some coins of interest.i want you to be comfortable with my auctions and come back to do business again.thanks for your interest in my auctions
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reported to ebay
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well...at least the 1877 Indian Head Cent looks to be real and at least close to XF.

edited...oppps...tool too long to respond...yep..definitely the same coin...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    <Maybe, like me, he hasn't figured out how to take decent pictures of his own!>

garsmith...I don't do to good in the pic end of this medium either, I don't have one of those "Holy Macro" lenses, but when you start to list key date coins, you'd better be ready to learn. Using stock jpg's is fine with me, but to use someone elses auction photos...not on just one but several, well that's a no-no in my book, I have my reservations about this seller...let's just see how long he lasts out there...the test of time will tell.

Chat Board Lingo

• Options

<< <i>well...at least the 1877 Indian Head Cent looks to be real and at least close to XF. >>

Sure it does, with pictures borrowed from other auctions. . .
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>well...at least the 1877 Indian Head Cent looks to be real and at least close to XF. >>

Sure it does, with pictures borrowed from other auctions. . . >>

...had the response window open too long...sorry...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can add is **WOW**
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    And he's now NARU.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    This seller didn't even make it for 6 hours...busted!

Everyone of his listing has been cancelled!
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    Thanks to all those whom helped.image
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    It would be simple for eBay to setup a few temporary rules for members with zero feedback - require Paypal (PayPal only), accept returns, and can't sell items with an opening bid more than $100. But it's easier to permit scammers to list $5,000 items with stolen photos with no Paypal and no returns.
  • Options
    So what happens now?? If this was a storefront, an Internet "store" or an advertisement in the back of a periodical wouldn't there be mail fraud charges...or attempted fraud??? Something? Or...because this scammer didn't actually succeed this time he gets away? Only when someone actually gets "ripped-off" is there a crime? Just wondering...image

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Also, the scammer must have a plan on how to cash all the checks you send before disappearing. Perhaps they've opened a bank account with a stolen ID and were operating out of a hotel room. They've probably already left town. You know I call a spade a spade and I think the ebay posse did a good job here. --jerry
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pleased to see the seller was NARU'd, but wish there was a way to prevent his/her return in a more stealthy manner (e.g. trying only one or two key coins at a time instead of a huge killing)
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the great detective work, sellers like this turn buyers into non collectors, which hurts us all.

morgans
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i><<the seller is lifting others auction pics!image>>

Maybe, like me, he hasn't figured out how to take decent pictures of his own! image >>

Had this been the case, then maybe, just maybe, stealing other peoples work and engaging in copyright infringement was not the best solution to the problem. Maybe. image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job by all in getting this guy busted!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He sounds to me like smoeone whos father owned/ran a coin store; has passed and the son who has not interest in the coins is selling them. I don't see anything wrong with his listings or his prices and as for 0 feedback everyone has to start smoewhere! >>

That was sarcasm, right?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>He sounds to me like smoeone whos father owned/ran a coin store; has passed and the son who has not interest in the coins is selling them. I don't see anything wrong with his listings or his prices and as for 0 feedback everyone has to start smoewhere! >>

That was sarcasm, right?

Russ, NCNE >>

i sure hope so, or very naive at best

Doug
  • Options
    So this $h!thead is free to refine is "craft" until he actually succeeds in bilking money out of someone... gee...that just bites! image

...and I don't mean in a good way...L

• Options
    I am new to the coin world (I had done sports cards for over 25 years) but I just wanted to point out how amazed I am at the people on this site. I think a big salute goes out to all the people that play the role of watchdog. You get involved when you don't have to. I don't think that enough people out there know how much other people, exactly like you guys, save them an enourmous amount of money and headaches. So even thou they may not say it and probably don't even know its happening.......hats off, give yourselves a pat on the back and take a bow! You guys could simply click the close button on the browser but you spring into action (quickly I might add). Maybe the true definition of the coin collector doesn't lie in grades, profits, or registerys...perhaps its about the integrity of the hobby itself. Anyways, just some thoughts about the great things that go unnoticed to alot of people.
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another example of what originally attracted me to the board here... And no, I don't think that Gar was being sarcastic - but everyone is allowed a slip in judgement occasionally image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am new to the coin world (I had done sports cards for over 25 years) but I just wanted to point out how amazed I am at the people on this site. I think a big salute goes out to all the people that play the role of watchdog. You get involved when you don't have to. I don't think that enough people out there know how much other people, exactly like you guys, save them an enourmous amount of money and headaches. So even thou they may not say it and probably don't even know its happening.......hats off, give yourselves a pat on the back and take a bow! You guys could simply click the close button on the browser but you spring into action (quickly I might add). Maybe the true definition of the coin collector doesn't lie in grades, profits, or registerys...perhaps its about the integrity of the hobby itself. Anyways, just some thoughts about the great things that go unnoticed to alot of people. >>

Sometimes I think the ebay posse gets a little carried away and they're ready to lynch sellers for incompetence rather than unethical behavoir but they did a great job in this case and didn't jump to any conclusions at all. This one was a relatively well done scam that could have taken money from some of us. --Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry

Well said!! Although I'm not in a position to buy at the moment, I for one would have been lured in by the 1877 IHC. It's a coin that I routinely look for when I'm coming into consulting money and the last hole that I need to fill for that series. The picture that was lifted was of a borderline VF/XF coin with no problems and nice eye appeal. I'm glad that the nice people of this forum were able to reveal the scam before anyone got hurt.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file