Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Clemente, Munson autographs from the year of their deaths.

I have seen a signed 1979 Topps Thurman Munson in an auction. I haven't seen one since (and I have no idea what the hammer was for the one I saw). Does anyone know of any more of these? And does anyone know if a 1972 Topps autographed Roberto Clemente even exists? I'm just curious.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a few 72T signed Clementes over the years (they certainly exist).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

Not my card
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Curious, where did you find that '72?

Edited to add that I found one that sold in March for almost $1600 (though it was the IA card).
  • Options
    This is a really cool topic! I was wondering about the Ashburn Hall of Fame postcard myself that was put out right before he died. I've seen it once signed and authenticated by JSA or PSA but can't seem to find it...

-Ian
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The Wentz group had a 72 IA Clemente autographed card a while back . I haven't seen any Munson autographs though.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Clementa has a 1973 cards, so the trick would be to find one of those signed........
  • Options

<< <i>Clementa has a 1973 cards, so the trick would be to find one of those signed........ >>

Not sure if you're aware or just joking, but to be clear if you ever find an auto'ed 73 you know it's a fake because Roberto's plane went down New Year's day 72/73 and his 73 card was produced in 73, after his death.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a really cool topic! I was wondering about the Ashburn Hall of Fame postcard myself that was put out right before he died. I've seen it once signed and authenticated by JSA or PSA but can't seem to find it...

-Ian >>

Ian - I have a Rich Ashburn autographed HOF Postcard. I think there are a few of them. The tough Ashburn, I believe, is the Perez-Steele Greatest Moments; those things are significantly rare [probably less than 5-10 signed]

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clementa has a 1973 cards, so the trick would be to find one of those signed........ >>

I'll trade you my signed 1964 ken hubbs memoriam card even up if you find one image
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall over 10 some years ago there was an ad of signed cards in Sports Collectors Digest which included a "signed" Bart Giamatti memorial card.....
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    When were the 1st series from 1973 released? I think I remember getting packs in my Christmas Stocking. So, maybe someone did have one earlier than that and got one signed by Clemente?
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    Wow, that Munson is already over $2K....I could see wanting that if I was a Yankee fan or a big Munson fan. Good luck to the winner! Hopefully it's a fan that will add it to their collection and not some 'group' looking to flip it at a later date.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That Munson is a stunner of a signature. Clemente seems to always sign cards in ball point and they never turn out well with his large complex signature. His sig looks good on paper in ball point, but I would like to see a Clemente signed in thin marker like that munson.