Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tucson International Show report

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
We'll I have to be honest. I do the Tucson show only because I'm from Tucson. I expected $0 sales and nothing worthwhile to buy. I was pleasantly suprized by the sales I did ($10K) and even found some interesting things to buy. As for the average dealers who deal in typical coin shop stuff - they all had terrific shows. Nobody was grumpy. Lots of retail sales and some good buys. One couple came to the show with a wonderful set of Watte copies of NE coinage ("Good Samaritin" shillings, NE, Pine Tree, etc..) which they sold for $6,000.

Walter Ostromeki was there doing a Halloween Trick or Treat thing for kids with coins as the Treat. There were lots of kids (I gave out about 40 Indian cents). There were many people who said they were coming back to the hobby since many years ago - that was good to see.

I was one of the first dealers to leave - at 3:00 on SUNDAY! OK, the show was all but over, but all the dealers were still quite happy to stay around till the bitter end - also very good to see.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>Nobody was grumpy >>

Are you sure you were at a coin show? image Seriously, that's good to hear. Nice report.
  • Options
    Good news! What kind of "typical coin shop stuff" was selling well?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    <There were many people who said they were coming back to the hobby since many years ago>

~Staying alive...staying alive~

Good news thanks for your positive outlook!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I had a 200+ lot of XF/AU Civil War Tokens which sold very quickly at $20 ea. and there were many dealers who wished they stopped by my table earlier to get first shot. My 7 year old son, Mike helped me at the table attributing them. He's quite good at attributing varieties.

Many dealers had currency and seemed to do well with it. There was even brisk activity in WI Extra Leaf Quarters which are quite familiar to locals. AU's in the $350 per set seemed to be good sellers.

On a side note, I am finding more interest in WI quarters from East coast dealers with shops. Prior to the show, one bought all my MS64 Low leafs (PCGS) for just under $300 ea. Seems like a good Christmas item.
  • Options
    I can certainly understand the interest in extra leaves, did you see much Arizona National Bank Notes exchanging hands??
  • Options
    One dealer had some, but I don't know if he sold any.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I was there on Saturday. The show was smaller than I expected. Activity was in line with my predictions, which were never really promising. The material available for sale where very ho-hum on the whole although I found several good deals.

Thinking about it earlier today, I believe that Arizona, and especially Tucson have as a whole, have the worst quality of hotel rooms in the West. There were no acceptable places to stay which were within reasonable proximity to the show location.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    That's funny, I live in Tucson and never heard a thing about the show.
  • Options
    I live in Tucson also, and I never heard of the show either.......guess I should get off the computer and step outside once in a while!
  • Options
    Yes, it was a small show, but s good one nonetheless. There was a first day cover. It was inspired by the silver 1 oz. round shown.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file