Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

new guy here

Hi Guys,

My name is John and I have been lurking here for a little while and have finally decided to join and say hello.

You guys seem like a friendly bunch and I hope I will fit in.

I have a question for the guys that sell on ebay. When you sell lots do you group by year, player or team?

What do you feel is the best way to sell cards from the 80's and 90's that don't really have a high "book value", but aren't completely worthless?

Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Hi Guys,

My name is John and I have been lurking here for a little while and have finally decided to join and say hello.

I have a question for the guys that sell on ebay. When you sell lots do you group by year, player or team?

What do you feel is the best way to sell cards from the 80's and 90's that don't really have a high "book value", but aren't completely worthless?

Thanks for your help!! >>

Nice Avatar -- way to make a BIG first impression!!!

Sounds like you're sitting on a gold mine there with your cards. Is there a specific player or set you favor?
  • Options
    Welcomeimage
    Tonya
  • Options
    I thought the avatar was funny, sorry if it offended you.

I do have a lot of stuff that me and my father collected together when I was younger. I'm not sure if your goldmine comment was sarcastic or not, but I'm selling off my 1,000's of common cards so I can have my good stuff graded and put away for my son.
  • Options
    maybe this avatar is less offensive.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! The new avatar is much better image

I would do lots by player . Unless of course they are commons then I would do them by sets.

jmo

Matt
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help!! >>

Burn'm for fire wood. chaz
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Web

Welcome!

I don't sell on ebay.

Altho, ya could do like this guy did who sells electronics packages. Just check out the "hook" - i.e. the pic for the item! I'ld like to hotwire that package! image

Just wanted to say hey and wish you the best here.

There's lots to learn and so little time it seems.

So don't be a stranger; shirts optional
    your friend
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    What was the avatar originally?
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Thanks, Guys!

gosteelers: The avatar was called devilstickman.

Stone193: I don't know what that guy was selling, but I bought 3!! image

lawnmowerman: what do you mean by sets? team, all-stars, etc?

Thanks!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Guys!

gosteelers: The avatar was called devilstickman.

Stone193: I don't know what that guy was selling, but I bought 3!! image

lawnmowerman: what do you mean by sets? team, all-stars, etc?

Thanks! >>

sorry

I meant sets as in commons for "1983 Topps" and so on.

matt
  • Options
    samsgirl214samsgirl214 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭
    welcome. this is a fun place to pop in and just read the post for enjoyment. somethimes i even learn a thing or two.
    When I list on ebay, i list some lower end cards like emmitt smth, brett favre, ect... as a lot. If it is real low end i put them in player or team lot. most of that stuff i usually don't bother with it on ebay. some of it i box up into 5,000 count boxes and sell for $25 to a local card shop OR if I'm running low on grab bags for show I put 50 cards in a bag along with some game used and autographed cards
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Welcome!

And I agree with Chaz. You'll save more money on your heating bill than you would make selling the commons on eBay. image

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Welcome John image

• Options
    Excellent suggestions, thank you!

I will try to come up with some creative ideas to sell them, if that doesn't work I will take zef204's advice and add them to the leaf pile (I don't have a fireplace).

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and hopefully I will be able to contribute some useful information and crack a few jokes.

Just to give you guys a brief background check on me:
    I am 38, live in NY and was heavily into collecting as a kid in the late 70's early 80's. I grew out of the hobby, but my dad and cousin kept going. I now have inherited a room full of cards between 1952-1992, tons of auto balls, bats, plates, yearbooks and sets. We were also into comics, coins, paper money and stamps. I am currently selling off my low to middle grade stuff because I don't have the room for it in my house. I want to use that money to grade and authenticate the high end stuff and put it away for my son.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    you should go to your profile and scroll down to where it says private messages and turn them on, that way people can send you messages...i may be interested in a little bit of your low end stuff..
    thanks
    aaron
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options
    BSUballer, I turned it on, thanks for bringing that to my attention and your interest in some of my stuff.
  • Options
    you are much welcome! pm sent..im sure you will notice it but it will be flashing in the upper left hand corner saying you have a new message!

aaron
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options
    John

Welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy it. It makes my work day zoom by.image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey All,

Like John I am also a new member have been surfing these borads that last sevral weeks.

I am also selling off my childhood collection (about 400,000 cards in storage boxes). Any hints on grading submissions and selling techniques would greatly be appreciated.

I just got my Gold member submission package (6 free subs for cards up to $500). Trying to decide which cards to send first. Probably one will be my 71 Bradshaw rookie, which is is great shape and perfectly centered.

Going through my cards now and using the PSA grading standards would have made me a lot of money 35 years ago. So many O/Cs and wax stains. Back then a card was a card, no matter how off center.

BTW, what were you experiences with your first submission? Were the grades what you expected?

Thanks all,

Alfonz24
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Welcome Alfonz24

I was nervous with my first submissions, everyone was telling me it's a scam you will never get your cards back or they will be switched, etc. They got me nervous so I ended up sending in a rickey henderson rookie, cal ripken traded rookie, munson rookie, 1948 bowman color ed stanky, 1952 topps yogi berra, and 1952 topps phil rizzuto. Not my best stuff, but I just wanted to test the water with a few decent cards. I was angry when this stuff came back graded between 6-8 (I thought all my stuff was a 10) image

After a few trial and error submissions, I now consider myself to have a good eye for picking the grade of my cards.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

BTW, what were you experiences with your first submission? Were the grades what you expected?

Thanks all,

Alfonz24 >>

My first submission was 16 freebies, all 1972 Topps.......

I expected to get:
    3 or 4 - PSA 9 or better. ( one I KNEW was a PSA 10!!)
    All the rest but one in PSA 8
    One PSA 7 ( it was a tough card for the set and wishfull thinking on my part it would grade better)

I got:

1 - PSA 10
    1 - PSA 9 ( This was the card I KNEW was a 10)
    7 - PSA 8
    5 - PSA 7
    1 - PSA 6 ( This was the tough marginal card)
    1 - PSA 5 ( I missed a hairline wrinkle)

Your first few submissions will always be less then you expect.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete