Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should You Collect Two (or more) coins of the same date and grade ?

Absolutely ! I have two and three of the same date and grade in many series.One can be toned and the other brilliant.One I like the obverse more and the other the reverse.

What do you think ? and How do you collect ?

p.s. I have heard collectors sometimes buy an inferior coin in a higher grade holder to get more Registry set points.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think so.... if you can afford to hold the duplicate.

Duplicates can give the same pleasure to collect. They can be financially rewarding. They can pry loose tightly held examples you need available only in trade. What more can you ask! image
  • Options
    I do, especially in the War Jeferson's and my 1968 sets. Sometimes I like two coins and can't choose, so I keep both. Othecoins may have an inferrior side but a greatly superior other side. like the finest reverse for a date that you have ever seen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have triplicates of some dates. I liked all 3 pieces and wanted them. If another nice one comes along I'd buy that as well. They just happened to have the same date and met my standards for the grade. In this case they were all 1840 halves.

At one time I owned a roll of 1858-0 dimes. I liked the date.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can pry loose tightly held examples you need available only in trade.

That's the only reason that I have my only duplicate.

As for other reasons, they're all legitimate if you have more money than opportunities to spend it. Sadly, I am not in that position.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once was able to acquire a desired gem seated dollar only because I just happened to have a duplicate of an equivalent date. image
  • Options
    I do it often.
    bruce Scher
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer to, but I sold off my Lincoln Proof duplicates to work on my MS set. Once that is done (or close) I probably will collect duplicates.
    Doug
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had more than one coin of the same date/grade, and more than one set with the same dates/comparable grades. Mostly for the variety ie., brilliant and toned, and sometimes because I couldn't decide which I liked better, and sometimes because the deal on both was too good to pass up (or got a two-fer). image
  • Options

I'll definitely buy duplicates if it is the right coin and the right price. However, I'm trying to finish the set first.

jack

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll definitely buy duplicates if it is the right coin and the right price. However, I'm trying to finish the set first.

jack >>

You're not being aggressive enough Jack!image
    Doug
  • Options

You're not being aggressive enough Jack!

Apparently.

Jack

• Options
    Once I get into a series, I am an addict. In the days of the shield nickels, I had four and five examples of some of the better dates (and that's just MS coins, that's not counting varieties or proofs). In the rainbow-toned Morgans, every coin is unique. So I have two and three of many dates. For example, for 1883 I have one classic banded rainbow toner, one target-toned album coin, and one geometric-pattern end-roller. I try to keep three as the absolute limit though. Also, it is natural to end up with duplicates, because we are continually upgrading. In the MS Barber quarters i have at least a dozen duplicates. But I just can't bring myself to part with any of them !!

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    How about multiples of the "same" coin in DIFFERENT grades (i.e. :"grading sets")? image

Yes it says type 2 but it IS a type 1 - check the cert # now that it has been fixed & is on the way back from PCGS:

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is OK to collect more than one of a date, I have over thirty 1806 half dollars, about 8 are in PCGS/NGC registries. I would like to buy more, some die varieties and die states are hard to find. The 1806 half dollar is an interesting date!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a raw and certified copy of each Lincoln.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to limit myself to no more than a PCGS box of 20.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHOULD I collect two or more coins of the same date and grade?

Perhaps the word SHOULD is a bit strong but COULD definitely does it for me.

When you like a date and mm of a certain coin enough and you can handle it within your budget, multiples are always wonderful to enjoy. But obviously, a grading set of that same coin/mm might be better to do first?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Should You Collect Two (or more) coins of the same date and grade?

Sure, if you want.

Though you should be prepared to be hated by collectors who can't buy one example for their collection becuase guys like you have several (and are still trying to buy more).

• Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Gem or super-gem Mercs (PCGS-slabbed, of course)? I can't seem to resist a duplicate or two for even the most common dates. My short set consists of 18 coins, none of which is the same coin as any listed in my late date set, none of which is the same coin as any listed in my circulation strikes with varieties set. SHOULD I collect this way? I don't know. (But I seem to enjoy doing it.)

But that box of 1,000 1936 Lincolns that I still haven't found the time to begin searching for DDOs? I don't know if that counts as "collecting" duplicates. On the other hand, I don't find myself in a very big rush to sell them to someone with better eyes and a greater lust for 1936 DDOs.

And all those BU rolls of wheats?!!!

I have to admit that the words "obsession" and "excess" come to mind.
    "Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    At one time, 90% of my coins was DUPES OR MORE!!! Since I believe in key date rarites, and not the Registry, (mainly because too much of a chore to complete), it's kinda why it all happened that way...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    ROGER.....HMMM?

THAT TYPE 2...ER TYPE 1 LOOKS FAMILIER!image
  • Options