Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Maundy Set dilemma - now with image

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently put together a 1913 Maundy set. The problem I have is three of the coins, 1d, 2d, and 4d, are all from the same set, that is, they are all similarily toned. The 3d is not part of the original set and is white, probably was dipped at one time. Should I keep the set as is? I want to get it put in a NGC multi-coin holder. Or should I dip the other three coins to match the 3d? or somehow tone the 3d.

What would you do?

hmm . . . can you guess which one doesn't belong?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Some Krylon on the 3d should do wonders. image

Rather than trying to jerryrig a complete set from these mismtached coins, why not wait and try to obtain a complete set at some point?
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Rather than trying to jerryrig a complete set from these mismtached coins, why not wait and try to obtain a complete set at some point?

Because it's much more fun and much cheaper this way?

Ajaan, you don't want avarel to see this thread. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Or should I dip the other three coins to match the 3d? or somehow tone the 3d.

No and no. JMHO.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Post a picture of the Toned ones...
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Either search for a 3d. that more or less matches or buy a whole new 1913 set, but don't dip the other three.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    To dip or not to dip depends on the attractiveness of the toning and the state of preservation of the underlying surfaces. How do they look?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can give them to me and it will become my problem... image

Seriously, I would leave it alone and choose not to slab the set. You could still sell this as a set and then buy one that you would be more to your liking...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> why not wait and try to obtain a complete set at some point? >>

I was able to buy the four coins seperately for about 1/3 what a complete set would cost.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To dip or not to dip depends on the attractiveness of the toning and the state of preservation of the underlying surfaces. How do they look? >>

Don't be impatient.. the right coin would come along if you wait long enough!

<< <i>To dip or not to dip depends on the attractiveness of the toning and the state of preservation of the underlying surfaces. How do they look? >>

Nice.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Either search for a 3d. that more or less matches or buy a whole new 1913 set, but don't dip the other three. >>

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Nice. >>

If they look attractive its likely best to leave them be. White ones will always come along eventually.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    We need pics of all the coins.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>We need pics of all the coins. >>

Crap! I was afraid someone would ask for that. I'll see what I can do and maybe get them for tonight.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit late in answering...in my opinion if you are planning on putting in a multi-holder it would be nice if they looked similar. I would want them all toned (I would expect a Maundy set toned, not white), so if it were me I'd keep looking for either another set, or just a 3d that looks like a good fit--and sell the white one--heck if its nice enough get it slabbed and sell in on ebay.

Cathy

and I want to see pictures too!

• AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    ACK! You think it was dipped?

Personally I'd track down a 3d that has the color to flow with the other 3. Those holders are mighty cool and a white 3d I would find distracting against the others.

I would then suggest a magnimous gesture and drop ship the 3d to me post haste to show how stellar of a gentleman you are in comparison to Wybrit

Av
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaan...

Nice pictures and this may be alot to do about nothing. At the expense of offending some folks, I have a theory about coins which is quite simple. If all the coins look alike, why not stop at one?

Don't be angry at someone who is candid and says what they think...

I do not recommend the multi-holder for this but it is a nice set. I like it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Leave them alone and wait for the right 3d.
    'kat, you know I respect your opinion. I would never be angry when someone gives an opinion.

This set isn't for a multi-coin holder. I have to think what I want to do with this one.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don