Home U.S. Coin Forum

Manhattan Project Silver Melt...are we being duped?

Manhattan Project Silver Melt

I have always heard in the past and still hear to this date that US silver coins were melted down to provide wiring and buss bars for now famous Y-12 Plant located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It has always been the assumption that because of the vast amount of silver required to produce the U-235 Uranium used in first Atomic Bomb that the Numismatic hobby was permanently and altered there after.

I have yet to read where actual silver coinage from the U.S. Mint was involved to make the electrical components of the Y-12 Plant. My research does reveal that silver bullion was transferred from the US Mint to the project, used to assist the then involved Scientist in completing equipment for this historic event.

Can anyone out there confirm the actual use of coins melted for this project?

The amounts of silver from the US Mint are mentioned in the following articles. Interestingly, the silver was returned back to the US Mint (see last article)

Electromagnetic Separation of Uranium 235
Operator: Tennessee Eastman Company (Kodak)
February 18, 1943

Silver is the best electrical (and thermal) conductor, and is prized for electrical contacts in volatile environments because it will not arc or spark, even when tarnished. This makes it valuable in spacecraft and aircraft. During WWII, the Manhattan Project built an enormous processing facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee called Y-12 to enrich uranium. Since the weapon-form isotope of uranium (U-235) is chemically similar to the much more common non-fissile variety (U-238), and is intermingled with it in nature, physical means are required to separate the two. The Y-12 facility contained several large racetrack-shaped electromagnetic separators or "calutrons," giant electromagnets that deflected the slightly heavier stream of charged U-238 particles into one collector and their slightly lighter U-235 cousins into another. Normally the windings for these would be made of copper wire, but copper was needed for war munitions. So the scientists borrowed 14,700 tons of pure silver from the Treasury to fabricate the wire and bus bars for the enormous magnets.
Credit: http://www.chicagosilver.com/silver.htm

Groundbreaking for the Alpha plant took place on February 18, 1943. Soon blueprints could not be produced fast enough to keep up with construction as Stone & Webster labored to meet Groves' deadline. The Beta facility was actually begun before formal authorization. While laborers were aggressively recruited, there was always a shortage of workers skilled enough to perform jobs according to the rigid specifications. (A further complication was that some tasks could be performed only by workers with special security clearances). Huge amounts of material had to be obtained (38 million board feet of lumber, for instance), and the magnets needed so much copper for windings that the Army had to borrow close to 15,000 tons of silver bullion from the United States Treasury to fabricate into strips and wind onto coils as a substitute for copper. Treasury silver was also used to manufacture the bus bars that ran around the top of the racetracks.
Credit: http://www.childrenofthemanhattanproject.org/HISTORY/H-06b2-1.htm

Not well known is a contribution made by the U.S. copper industry to the Manhattan Project during World War II. There was an urgent need for copper bus bars for the Uranium 235 extraction facility in Oak Ridge, Tenn. Because all available copper was being directed to the conventional war effort, a substitute material with comparable electrical conductivity was needed. (The electrical conductivity of silver is rated at 104% IACS, whereas copper is rated at 100% IACS, which made it a suitable substitute.)

Some 700 million troy ounces of pure silver (equivalent to today's ASTM B413 (Specification for Refined Silver) Grade 99.95 (UNS P07015)) were borrowed from the U.S. Treasury and shipped to the U.S. Metals Refining Company (USMR) in Carteret, N.J., re-melted and cast into pure silver wire bars. The wire bars were then shipped to Phelps Dodge's Elizabeth, N.J., facility for rolling into bus bars (equivalent to today's ASTM Specification B187, for Copper Bar, Bus Bar, Rod and Shapes). In the late 1970s, the silver bus bars were removed from service, returned to USMR for melting, refining, and casting as 1,000-troy ounce ingots and returned to the Treasury.
credit: http://www.copper.org/innovations/1998/11/astm.html

One of the Manhattan Project's Oak Ridge calutrons, which used several billion dollars' worth
of silver wire and connecting bars made from bullion borrowed from the US Treasury

Edit title: from Coinage vs Bullion to> Ever hear of this>Have we been duped?>are we being duped?
Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Comments

• MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    There does not seem to be much interest on this topic...I guess not enough controversy/no e-bay scammers/nothing to grade/no polls

This coincidence made me respond to my own thread:

I just heard Robert Chambers @ 12:54 PM CST (games no on yet) refer to the Manattan Project where they (the US Government) melted 40,000,000 silver dollars when they were hawking Morgan Silver Dollars. (He did not say what silver dollars were melted, only that they were)

I'm not trying to push this issue, I relize it's Sunday and you need to relax, watch the game, but Did the Mint have on hand Morgan/Peace dollars, other coinage available in 1943 for this project?

CSI: I wanna know?

ty Mr. Kelso
    Chat Board Lingo

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the silver bullion used came from coins melted by the mint to make the bullion.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not certain what your questions really are, but couldn't the Treasury Department simply have used silver that would have been otherwise minted into coinage for this purpose? In that case, no coinage would have been melted.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Then that would have no impact on collectible coins then would it?

Why do we keep hearing about all these melts to hype Morgans/Peace...or any 90% silver minted coinage?
    Chat Board Lingo

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard rumors about this but I have not researched it further.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• The Treasury had around 2 billion oz of silver bullion on hand, why would they have bothered to melt down coinage? If any coinage was melted down it was most likely worn out and mutilated coinage that had been returned for redemption which would have been melted down anyway. And since the Manhatten project needed fine silver why use melted coinage which would have to be refined when they had the fine silver on hand? Melted coinage could be used for new coinage without refining. It just makes more sense to just use the fine silver. (Which being government is a good argument against it.)
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I used to do research at the Y-12 plant as well as the X-10 plant.

Although I never saw silver, my grandfather who worked at Oak Ridge during the war did tell me that there were tons of silver being used for electrical purposes at the plant. It's interesting that while he was a mathematician and worked with the refining of uranium, he claims he never had a clue what the purpose of the plant was. That is until after the bomb dropped.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a great deal of silver coinage used in Chicago as radioactive shielding if
    memory serves. It was used either at the predecessor of the Fermi lab or at a fac-
    ility in the far southern Chicage suburbs.

I believe it was mostly silver dollars and was returned to the mint after the war.
    Tempus fugit.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, I am a native Oak Ridger though I do not live in the city at the moment. We are proud of our history and many of us have read the stories of our city (what is publicly accessible). I am not aware of a coin melt to service the needs of the plants in OR. On a side note, last summer I got to see one of the Calutrons in person and meet two workers who worked various parts of them.

Edited to add: Just looked at that picture and based on the position of certain things I think that was the calutron I actually did walk around.
    nwcs...cool

If I get enough argument on this point, I will e-mail Robert Chambers of Coin Vault and ask him to expound on his statement in reguards to these type of silver melts.

I looked on ShopAtHome web page, Robert Chambers e-mail has been removed, I'll have to call SAH or e-mail Elliot to see if I can get is, he's still up there as a show host.

More info needed.
    Chat Board Lingo

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never read a credible report that it was coin silver used for the windings. Pure silver would work better, and the Treasury had an enormous quantity of it on hand, so why would they have not used the pure silver?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    very interesting thread. As a nuclear engineer, I would like to have an Ingot of the silver returned from the Manhattan project.

Silver is an excellent conductor--better than gold or copper. But they apparently weren't looking for improved conductivity but just a substitute for war-demand copper. Also, by using silver wires and bussbars, they sent a message to the personnel working on the project how important it was.

--Jerry
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    > very interesting thread. As a nuclear engineer, I would like to have an Ingot of the silver returned from the Manhattan project.

I'm not a nuclear engineer but I'd love to have one as well because I still love OR even though it got $$$$ed by Pete Domenici in the 80s and 90s. I do have some samples of the first in situ vitrification done in OR, though.

To comment on another thing, the people working on the floor didn't know what was going on because they were trained for only one task and one task only and they did it exceedingly well. They knew it was important but very very few people knew more than a few steps. In a way it is similar to how the currency plates are made. It takes several people to produce them and no one person involved in the process knows or is a master of all the steps.
    <As a nuclear engineer, I would like to have an Ingot of the silver returned from the Manhattan project.>

casting as 1,000-troy ounce ingots and returned to the Treasury.

1000 troy oz = 1097.1428 oz /16= 68.57 lbs That's a big ingot of silver! I've seen and held the 100 oz bars, this would be awesome!
    Chat Board Lingo

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i><AS project. Manhattan the from returned silver of Ingot an have to like would I engineer, nuclear a> casting as 1,000-troy ounce ingots and returned to the Treasury. 1000 troy oz = 1097.1428 oz /16= 68.57 lbs That's a big ingot of silver! I've seen and held the 100 oz bars, this would be awesome! >>

IF silver were still $5/oz I'd be ready to jump on one..... --Jerry
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The Treasury Department had been purchasing silver at from 50-cents to 64.65-cents per ounce since December 1933. (Approx 15-20 cents above the open market price.) Purchases supported the domestic price of silver and thus supported the silver producing states. They also accepted up to 200 million ounces @ 50-cents per ounce from European governments in payment of war debts. The total purchased was intended to bring the quantity of silver as monetary backing up to ¼ the value of gold held by the government. This would have been approx 1.8 to 2.4 billion ounces.

Although some of the silver was used to strike coins (note the large increase in coin production from 1934 onward) most was in bars as backing for paper currency.
    note the large increase in coin production from 1934 onward

dime
    1930-P 6.7 mil
    1931-P 3.1 mil
    1934-P 24.08 mil
    1935-P 58.8 mil

Quarters
    1932-P 5.4 mil
    1934-P 31.9 mil

halves
    1933-S 1.7 mil
    1934-P 6.9 mil

dollars
    1928-P 360,000
    1934-P 964,000
    1935-P 1.5 mil

It appears this has creedence, I used Philadelphia "Mother Mint" for quantity minted, except for '33 Walker (Frisco)
    Chat Board Lingo

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    WoodenJefferson,

I'm afraid I'm not following your thoughts on this.

Any coins that might have been melted for the Manhattan Project wouldn't have been in collectors' hands in the first place. Can you expand on what you think the impact was?

Personally, I think the more relevent impacts on collecting have been the Treasury releases of millions of silver dollars in the early 60s and the presumed mass melting of silver coins in '79 and '80 (of course, that followed the mass melting of silver dollars in 1918).

IMHO, the ShopAtHome clowns will say anything in an effort to get the rubes to buy - doesn't make what they say either true or relevent.

Also, of course the mintage of silver coins increased after 1935 - the economy was recovering from the Depression and there was more need for coins in the economy.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

<Any coins that might have been melted for the Manhattan Project wouldn't have been in collectors' hands in the first place. Can you expand on what you think the impact was?>

I have been in this hobby since 1965 and it has always been my contention, via word of mouth/newspapers/Numismatic magazines (all the media of the times, not much to go by... the internet has just had a positive boom to coin collecting) that there were several melts of silver coinage.

~Pitman Act of 1918 when 270,232,722 silver dollars were melted.
    ~Manhattan Project, tons and tons of silver used.
    ~The great melts in 1979 and 1980
    and other melts within this century

I keep hearing/seeing this term Manhattan Project and that untold tons of silver from the US Treasury was melted in order for the production of Uranium.

I envisioned (1965) dump trucks full of silver coins being dumped into a smelter and reduced to ingots. What a loss to the Numismatic community, but it was for a good cause i.e.; the atomic age turned the edge in the war with Japan in the Pacific.

I keep hearing this terminology Manhattan Project used again, and with the internet you have instant access to all sorts of information. Well, I can't find a single thing linking coins being melted (which would have had an adverse effect on this hobby, if the Government did it once, they will do it again) and that it appears that it was nothing more than already acquired silver bar bullion that was used for this project. (most, the bus bars, of the bullion was returned to the Treasury, did not know that either)

I was happy that no coinage was used, but dismayed that we are still being led down the wrong path, history wise by or present day spokes people and media.

My point for starting the thread was to just get to the bottom of this "Urban Legend" once and for all..thanks for your contribution.

~Woody~
    Chat Board Lingo

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Ah, got it! Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, urban legends are always with us - especially when they serve some salesman's purpose.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Well, for what it's worth, I learned a lot today...even being of age you still have room left to learn.

Listen to others who know, follow those that know, then you too can be one of those that know.image
    Chat Board Lingo

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO, the ShopAtHome clowns will say anything in an effort to get the rubes to buy - doesn't make what they say either true or relevent. >>

I couldn't have said it better.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoodenJefferson:

The US Mint actually INCREASED its consumption of silver in our US coinage as the nickels of late 1942 through 1945 had silver in them as opposed to the copper/nickel combo.

I do seem to recall a slight decrease in our mintage of silver coins in dimes, quarters and halves from 1942 to 1943 possibly to offset the increased consumption for the nickels.

But then 1944 and 1945 saw even greater mintages all around as the economy was growing due to the wartime effort followed by the returning soldiers from Europe in 1945 who had lots of money to spend.

Could someone do an analysis to confirm my contention?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    The government would not have made the silver war nickels if silver for needed elsewhere in the war effort.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I just heard Robert Chambers @ 12:54 PM CST (games no on yet) refer to the Manattan Project where they (the US Government) melted 40,000,000 silver dollars when they were hawking Morgan Silver Dollars. (He did not say what silver dollars were melted, only that they were)

It's entirely possible that the entire mintage of the 1895-P Morgans were sacrificed so we would have the A-bomb.

-David
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just heard Robert Chambers @ 12:54 PM CST (games no on yet) refer to the Manattan Project where they (the US Government) melted 40,000,000 silver dollars when they were hawking Morgan Silver Dollars. (He did not say what silver dollars were melted, only that they were)

It's entirely possible that the entire mintage of the 1895-P Morgans were sacrificed so we would have the A-bomb.

-David >>

An obviously deceptive stretch of logic - perfect for the modern marketeer image

A very thought provoking thread - thanks.

<< <i>The government would not have made the silver war nickels if silver for needed elsewhere in the war effort. >>

I understood oreville's question...I was waiting for a response to this question he posed:

~Could someone do an analysis to confirm my contention?~

I do not know how to do such an analysis to confirm those contentions.

There is a specific reason the War Nickels were minted from silver during that time period, the copper composition was more important to the war effort (curcuits on ships/planes/bomb fuses etc.) than it was for minting coins, hence the "Steel Cent" came into evolution. Silver was more plentiful (stocks already available in place in the US Treasury) so why not substitute in emergency situations. It takes an act of congress to change a design, but the Mint Dirrector can change the composition on his own, I'm sure with guidance of the Prez.
    Chat Board Lingo

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><Any coins that might have been melted for the Manhattan Project wouldn't have been in collectors' hands in the first place. Can you expand on what you think the impact was?>

I have been in this hobby since 1965 and it has always been my contention, via word of mouth/newspapers/Numismatic magazines (all the media of the times, not much to go by... the internet has just had a positive boom to coin collecting) that there were several melts of silver coinage.

~Pitman Act of 1918 when 270,232,722 silver dollars were melted.
    ~Manhattan Project, tons and tons of silver used.
    ~The great melts in 1979 and 1980
    and other melts within this century

I keep hearing/seeing this term Manhattan Project and that untold tons of silver from the US Treasury was melted in order for the production of Uranium.

I envisioned (1965) dump trucks full of silver coins being dumped into a smelter and reduced to ingots. What a loss to the Numismatic community, but it was for a good cause i.e.; the atomic age turned the edge in the war with Japan in the Pacific.

I keep hearing this terminology Manhattan Project used again, and with the internet you have instant access to all sorts of information. Well, I can't find a single thing linking coins being melted (which would have had an adverse effect on this hobby, if the Government did it once, they will do it again) and that it appears that it was nothing more than already acquired silver bar bullion that was used for this project. (most, the bus bars, of the bullion was returned to the Treasury, did not know that either)

I was happy that no coinage was used, but dismayed that we are still being led down the wrong path, history wise by or present day spokes people and media.

My point for starting the thread was to just get to the bottom of this "Urban Legend" once and for all..thanks for your contribution.

~Woody~ >>

The federal reserve started withdrawing silver coins from circulation in mid-'68 using
    inertial separators and continued through mid-'69 when there wasn't enough remain-
    ing silver to warrant separating. This silver was eventually destroyed but probably
    represented little more than 10% of the circulating silver coinage in 1961-64.
    Tempus fugit.
    <<The federal reserve started withdrawing silver coins from circulation in mid-'68 using
    inertial separators and continued through mid-'69 when there wasn't enough remain-
    ing silver to warrant separating. This silver was eventually destroyed but probably
    represented little more than 10% of the circulating silver coinage in 1961-64. >>

Did not know this either...this thread is opening up all sorts of avenues. I bet people were efficent at gleaning silver from pocket change during that period of time (68/69)also. I was out of the country for 2 years (part of 66/67/part of 68) there was a scirmish in the Far East, but the 40% Kennedy silver half dollar in 65 got me started. I knew then something was up with the amount of silver in the US coins and had better get started. Franklins were still in circulation in '65 so it was easy pickins. Sort of picked up collecting again in 70 once I got my head back together and it's been fun ever since.

Thanks for your contribution.
    Chat Board Lingo

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the war silver was very cheap (40¢ - 50¢ per ounce). It would have been insane for the Government to melt coinage on the books at $1.00 for say 45¢ per oz. worth of silver. Regarding the Pitman act, they melted coins for India in 1918, but had to remake the coins in 1921 to restore the monetary value of the dollars on the books.

Edit: Sorry. there is .7734 oz. in a dollar of silver coins. So it would yield only about 30¢ worth of silver per $1.00 face.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file