Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tucson coin show -- Finally added a review and pics!

Anyone here going to be there Sunday?

I went Friday and will be back tomorrow to see what goodies I passed over before. I'll wait until then to post a review and pics.

Surprisingly there is a very large turnout of world coins, I'd say almost 40% of the floor. imageimageimage

For those in the area who don't know, it is in the Copper Ballroom of the Tucson Convention Center (Take Broadway west into Congress, turn left onto Church, it'll be on your right.) Open until 6 PM, I believe.

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    shoot! i live in Phoenix, but forgot all about it!

Doug
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I went on Saturday to pick up some Krause's and sell some Canadian $100 gold. We never did hook up with the Canadian dealer but found a few inexpensive tokens at Gresham's Law and saw my first blue IHC's in hand!

• Options
    I saw the listing for this show in the world coin news calendar and was skeptical. From what you guys are saying it sounds like this is a good show. Perhaps I should visit next year. How much Canada stuff is there????

40% sounds pretty good
    show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went Friday and will be back tomorrow to see what goodies I passed over before. I'll wait until then to post a review and pics. >>

Pics! Pics! Pics!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Well, a bit late on the review...

The Tucson show was definitely worth a trip, but I needed more time than I spent there. There was indeed a dealer specializing in Canadian, but that's not my area of expertise so I can't comment on his stock. In general, though, the world coins on the floor were not terribly exceptional. There were some very nice coins, and quite a few scarce ones, but I think I've been spoiled by all the shows I went to in Germany! Of course there were dealers with all the usual quirks, one with too many cleaned coins in stock, and to my sorrow the one with the best binders was stingy with the prices. Overall the best deals were found skimming the binders full of foreign material. The only dealer I knew of beforehand, aside from the guy in Bisbee, was greshams-law from ebay (who had some awesome conders, and some pretty cheap ones too--alas I resisted the temptation!). Quite a few dealers came from California.

Friday I didn't bring enough money and had to get back home early.. then on Sunday I woke up late and didn't get to the show until 3:30--all but a handful of dealers had already left. I did however pick up a handful of cheapo eye-poppers Friday. Surprisingly, and what made me so giddy Friday, was finding not one but three Italian coppers dated 1914!! I had been looking for these forever! Two have somewhat muted luster, but one of the 1 cents is a glossy RB eyepopper deluxe! image I also nabbed a pair of MacArthur commems for super cheap (thanks to gresham's law) and an absurdly immaculate Irish Uprising proof.

Here's a pic to tide y'all over until I can shoot the rest.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Here's the nicer Italian--turns out it has a cud on the denom. I shot it thru angled glass, so the luster doesn't show at all--even then it's difficult to capture, being so small.